Engine shutting off during long trips. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's exactly what I meant.

It's 108 here and wonder if I will face this issue in the winter!!!

Well keeping the tank full would be a temporary solution I guess.

i guess running on fume (low gas in tank) has caused this issue. i have done it so many times and this is the cost. meanwhile, will try to keep it above half tank and will see!!!

i have read online filter might sucked up debris and clogged it which causing it to stall, does anyone now if this could be true?

Update: car shut off with almost full tank with 112 temperature with long idle (traffic). in my case, having full tank doesn't avoid the issue.

changing the fuel pump soon. hope will fix it

Update:

Middle eastern LX and land cruiser has bigger fuel pump.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443892881.413522.jpg

That is oem part here. Wonder if that is the upgrade FP

OK here's my update. Headed south last weekend into BIG heat in Moab and south. 100 degrees in Moab- drove down the hill and stopped at Arches with 1/2 tank of gas to do some hiking an rappelling. Stopped at the line to go into the park and it died. Waited 10 minutes and it started up. No more problems Sunday. Drove down to the Needles the next day to go into Horse Canyon- 106! With a full tank (filled up in Moab), the F-------g thing died 5 different times both on the drive in the sand into and out of Horse Cyn and on the pavement leaving the Ranger Station and going down the Lockhart Basin road to find a camp site. Headed up into the Abajos the next night (8000 ft) and had no problems going up that high with lower temps. Went down to Cedar Mesa the next day to hike Todie Cyn and it died going in to the trailhead. Camped that night at Muley Point and it died on the way into camp. Hit Bluff and the Navajo Reservation the next day with no problems. Headed for Lee's Ferry the next day and it died at the Sonic drive-in in Kayenta with 3/4 tank and about 100 degrees. I am at my wits end and am seriously getting rid of this rig and starting over. I definitely don't ever want to get stuck in the desert heat with this problem again. My indie who is a trained Toyota master mech has never heard of an '06 TLC doing this with this kind of consistency. Besides, who wants to worry about this kind of s*** when you are out on an epic desert ramble? (MPH to post a trip report soon.) F___, f___, f___!!!!!.
Any further report on the bigger fuel pump?

I would try the new fuel pump for sure, before punting on the truck? Buddy changed his (for different reason) said it wasn't bad at all.

A new pump solved my problems and I had very similar symptoms. 2006 here too. I'm not certain but believe that I got the upgraded/bigger pump as the part no. was different.

pcut, have you replaced your fuel pump?

For anyone experiencing this problem that happens to have an OBD-II scanner, it would be worthwhile to see what the short term fuel trims (and long term fuel trims) are showing, specifically near idle. Generally, it should show close to 1.00. If it shows higher than 1, the ECU (e.g. 1.15) would be trying to compensate by adding fuel - perhaps for a weak fuel pump. If it shows less than 1 (e.g. 0.90), the ECU is actively pulling fuel, which I would very much doubt.

Did Toyota change the fuel pump from 2005 to 2006? I know from this thread they changed the cats, which I thought was causing the problem?? Anyone know why they have a different fuel pump?

After changing the canister and the cam sensor, I still had the issue. After I changed the fuel pump, I have had no further issues!My understanding is the first half of the 06 LCs came with pre 05 fuel pumps and 06+ vvti engines needed newer fuel pumps which they installed in the second half of 06 and on. But if you got an earlier 06, it did not come with the right pump to support the vvti motor. Toyota should have an tsb on it but I don't they do.

Driving home this evening, temp was about 97 outside. I passed an LX470 stalled on the shoulder with flashers on. Was going to stop, but then saw that no one was with the vehicle. I was wondering if it was a fuel pump issue? Will never know..

Probably a soccer mom that's put 250K on the 470 with little to no required maint.....no telling.

well its been almost a year and fuel pump solved the problem.
installed similar one to the stock with no issues.

Update: 2006 LX470. I have been fighting this issue for some time and it was not resolved with replacing the fuel pump. The only good news I have had lately is my truck finally threw the following codes. P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, P2419. When you get these 5 codes the issue is the vapor canister (charcoal). I have not replaced the cam sensor yet, only the fuel pump and gas cap.

My issues are the same as everyone other one here. Hauling heavy loads the truck finally idles low and will die. Wait 15 minutes and you can take off again. Gas smell when starting, heavy gas smell when working hard in the summer.

I will update once I get this $1,000 over priced part slapped on the truck this weekend.

thanks for linking this thread @ntsaint

guys, i also have a 2006 - but it's an LX470 ~135K on the odo.

i have had a stalling issue as well.....not in extreme heat the first couple of times either, however, the last week, it has done it 3-4 times....mind you, all of my issues have been at various temps and gas levels....

it happens most recently when driving for a nit...start and stop and 10-15 miles to and from work....

i will pull up at work or home and put in neutral or park and sit at idle while on phone....then all of a sudden the rpm's start "hunting" and eventually shuddering a bit and it stalls. it hasnt always thrown a CEL/codes...however, once about 6 months ago it did. code was cylinder misfire 2-4-6-8 and i replaced all the coils....

fast forward to 10 days ago and scorching heat and humidity it does it again, no codes tho....towed in to buddies shop and they cant get it to replicate...

picked truck up tuesday and drove home, idle for 2 minutes and vuala....rpm searching and stalled....threw codes again this time...

left bank lean, multiple cylinder misfire, 2-4-6-8 misfire....

i have a new fuel pump for it, and also have 8 new denso coils and some new plugs to install since the coils are going in....will update after it is all done, just wanted to share my similar story and findings as well....happy to (hopefully) have found the issue (pump)

I just read through this whole thread and think I experienced a mild case of this last week in my '07 LX.

I was outside Zions NP on a scout trip and was search for a place to camp so I was zipping up and down the main dirt road and off little side roads to identify a good spot. I was pushing the pace and having fun, it was mid to upper 90's and we were running the AC. When we settled on a spot I pulled in and shut of the rig to get some stuff unloaded. When I tried to restart it a minute or two later it would turn over but not fire. The other guy I was with came over and after trying a couple things said he thought it seemed to be vapor locked. He had me turn the key to on but not turning over while he was under the back of the rig to see if he could hear the fuel pump and he said he thought he did hear it running. I let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then it fired right up and I was able to move it to the spot I wanted to be in to deploy my RTT. I don't recall how full my fuel tank was. This was on Thursday and I didn't have any more issues the rest of the trip despite driving back up to the camp spot a few other times through the weekend.

This happened only one other time last year after I ran up a steep dirt road to get to an overview up Butterfield canyon that overlooks the huge copper mine in Salt Lake. I don't remember temps but think it was a warm-ish day. I had no idea why it wouldn't start and tried to look something up online but didn't have good data service up there and had no idea what to google. I jiggled some wires and stared intently under the hood and after about 10-15 minutes it just started up and drove fine. No rough idle that I noticed.

I'm not horribly concerned about this since its certainly not happening as frequent as it was for @pcut and some of the others. I did want to share my info though and say that I was experiencing the same symptoms on my 4/2007 manufactured LX.

The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago in my 2007. In the 90s and 5500 foot elevation if I remember correctly.

The only thing I had done differently was top off the tank before it happened. Haven't topped off the tank since and the issue has not resurfaced. Driven 5000 miles in last 3 weeks...

replaced mu fuel pump, after replacing all coils and plugs with OEM, and havent had an issue again......i only saw issues with mine when very very hot outside and less than half tank of gas (iirc), fwiw.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom