Engine shutting off during long trips. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When my pump was replaced my mechanic complained of this same issue with the connectors being different and fit issues. He insisted on getting the right replacement that would drop in. I don't know the part number that he ultimately used. Maybe this is a clue to some issue with the factory installed pump?

That's exactly what my mechanic told me as well. He is installing the correct pump with the correct connectors. That is, he is installing the 160 pump and not the 040. Appreciate the post!

As of last week, replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, to an updated 160 pump. I'm taking The LC on a trip which has caused the stalling problem in the past. I will update on the results after the trip.

As of last week, replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, to an updated 160 pump. I'm taking The LC on a trip which has caused the stalling problem in the past. I will update on the results after the trip.

I am having the exact same issues with a 2006, did you continue to have problems after the fuel pump was replaced?

I'm having the same problems with my '06 LC with 126,000 miles. I posted on another thread I couldn't find, but the same problem- coming back from Cedar Mesa through Salt Lake in our LC with 2 people, 1 dog, gear for a week, front and rear bumpers. Heading up Parley's Canyon with the temperature at 95 with slightly less than 1/2 tank of gas. Pulled over the summit (4250 ASL in Salt Lake to just about 7000 ASL) no problem. Backed off the throttle on the way down the other side and it quit. Pulled over and let it sit for 10 minutes. Started right up and drove for 2 miles when it quit again when I backed off the throttle and slowed to let a car pull off in front of me. 10 minutes later, it started right up. I got it home by shifting into neutral every time I had to slow and keeping the revs between 2500-3500 and shifting into D- not the best thing for the transmission, but better than calling a tow truck. I replaced the cam position sensor as suggested in the other thread with no fix. No problems in driving on a lot of roads in Cedar Mesa and on the roads between there and Park City. The consensus seems to be replacement of the gas cap, fuel pump and filter. Already did the filter about a year ago. Will start with the gas cap and keep my fingers crossed. Seems to be common enough that there should be a definitive fix. Help!

FYI I've already replaced the cap and filter, still had the issue. Considering replacing the fuel pump before my trip to CO next month.

pcut, I think you are saying that you replaced the cam position sensor and it has not solved your problem, is this correct? This is discouraging to me as I have had two issues.
Issue #1 is a stalling problem when running in hot weather coupled with a gain in elevation. This problem seems to be solved by replacement of fuel pump and fuel filter. I replaced the gas cap as a starting point and it did not help. Replacing the fuel pump seems to be what it takes to solve this issue.
Issue #2 is a no start issue when it is hot and again seems to be coupled with an elevation gain. I replaced the cam position sensor with the 90k service last summer and I have not had this issue since.

Have you had this same problem as I have had in issue #2?

KK- Never had a problem starting it in hot weather, with or without elevation gain. Just your #1 problem. Guess I need to start budgeting for a new fuel pump. Anyone else have any other solutions?

OK so I ran a scan today and the CEL showed a P0441 code. Seems like that may be pointing to a canister. Any more thoughts?

For reference . . .

Attachments

• L-EG008-04.pdf
    536.4 KB · Views: 1,013
I had a new fuel pump and filter installed today, no problems at all traveling 150 miles back home. I will update if anything changes.

pcut, I think you are saying that you replaced the cam position sensor and it has not solved your problem, is this correct? This is discouraging to me as I have had two issues.
Issue #1 is a stalling problem when running in hot weather coupled with a gain in elevation. This problem seems to be solved by replacement of fuel pump and fuel filter. I replaced the gas cap as a starting point and it did not help. Replacing the fuel pump seems to be what it takes to solve this issue.
Issue #2 is a no start issue when it is hot and again seems to be coupled with an elevation gain. I replaced the cam position sensor with the 90k service last summer and I have not had this issue since.

Have you had this same problem as I have had in issue #2?

I never had problem number two without problem number one. In other words, it overheated and after stalling I had trouble starting it.

Since replacing the fuel pump, I've never had the problem come up again. I've driven in relatively hot weather with some elevation gain. I don't think my conditions were as severe as what caused the problems the first time, but I have not had a problem again. I'm pretty sure it is the fuel pump issue for 06 motors.

OK- here's an update. Since it always happened when I was at or below 1/4 tank of gas, I tried filling up in SLC before heading up Parley's Cyn. So far I have driven up at 97 degrees with a trailer full of furniture- no problem. I have also driven up at just over 100 degrees with just the princess and dog, again with no problems. I surmise that the problem is that the fuel pump over heats because it isn't covered up with and cooled by the gas when it is at or below 1/4 tank. Hopefully that is the fix.

Had same issue couple weeks ago with my 07 lx. 114k. 114 degree here, was driven for 30mins and suddenly stall. 5 mins later it fired up and didn't happen again.
I recently notice rpm is not steady as it used to be. Moved tiny bit up and down ( not noticeable if you don't keep looking at it)
Do u think I should be replacing the fuel pump even if it happen once???

1meancruiser: did u get oem? Part number,? any recommendations !!!
How hard to install? Steps?

Update: I had an incident where the LX had stalled twice earlier while I was pulling over with less than quarter gas. Drove off to the gas station and while I was filling her up (engine on) was about to stall (rpm was fluctuate) then it didn't stall cuz of the gas was almost full. Which leads me to whoever said vapor reduce heat on the pump was correct and am 95% sure it's the fuel pump.
Now have been in the car for over 30 mins ( idle) and didn't happen.

My Qs: does keeping the gas above half full solve the issue in the summer?
In winter does it happen?

Last edited:
Update: I had an incident where the LX had stalled twice earlier while I was pulling over with less than quarter gas. Drove off to the gas station and while I was filling her up (engine on) was about to stall (rpm was fluctuate) then it didn't stall cuz of the gas was almost full. Which leads me to whoever said vapor reduce heat on the pump was correct and am 95% sure it's the fuel pump.
Now have been in the car for over 30 mins ( idle) and didn't happen.

My Qs: does keeping the gas above half full solve the issue in the summer?
In winter does it happen?

Possible because you have an in-tank pump getting hot. When the tank is ~1/2 full the pump is submerged in full staying cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom