Engine Oil recommendation (newb question) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hamishpotter

SILVER Star
Threads
Sorry All in advance for the newb question,

I've checked the 80 Tech FAQ and found it confusing. Is there any consensus in general on selecting an appropriate engine oil? My oil's a bit low and I don't want to set off on the wrong foot.

I live in the Northeast. No serious off-roading (yet) on a stock FZJ80. Wide range of temps.

Thanks,

J

I choose Mobil 1 0W-40 and PureOne Filter.

I think this would work ok for you too being that it should flow ok in the cold and be thick enough for our aged inline 6 motors.

IMO you won't go too far wrong picking an oil that you can get fairly cheap so you can change it often and in the right grade. As for filters there are a million opinions on them. But if you don't pick the same one I do then you're wrong wrong wrong!!! :p

FZJ newb oil query

I choose Mobil 1 0W-40 and PureOne Filter.

I think this would work ok for you too being that it should flow ok in the cold and be thick enough for our aged inline 6 motors.

IMO you won't go too far wrong picking an oil that you can get fairly cheap so you can change it often and in the right grade. As for filters there are a million opinions on them. But if you don't pick the same one I do then you're wrong wrong wrong!!! :p

Thank you Parsnip that sounds pretty reasonable. I'm going to check with the PO to see what he used but not sure he would know. And can't risk being wrong wrong wrong so M1 10W40's what I will likely go with :)

Much obliged

J

Synthetic is a must- check my 275k mile engine rebuild threat.

oil

Synthetic is a must- check my 275k mile engine rebuild threat.

Thank you, any chance you could include a link to the thread I saw quite a few..

Sorry All in advance for the newb question,

I've checked the 80 Tech FAQ and found it confusing. Is there any consensus in general on selecting an appropriate engine oil? My oil's a bit low and I don't want to set off on the wrong foot.

I live in the Northeast. No serious off-roading (yet) on a stock FZJ80. Wide range of temps.

Thanks,

J

I use 10W30 synthetic with the MobileOne filter. I'm in southern California.

I think most oils are compatible with each other anyway so you can mix them (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I think Toyota recommends 5W30.

Whats in the engine now?

brother here we go again.
I use Rotella 5-40 with a napa gold filter
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:Oh

Confusing? The search bar is pretty standard and works well. No need to create 5,000 threads on motor oil

In the northeast I'd run 5w 30 in the winter and 0w 40 in the summer.

Forklift motor don't care.

Just make sure you fill somewhere between 7 and 8 quarts when you change it.

I run mobil1 0w40 'european car formula' in my 07 GTI because, well, it actually meets VW spec for an engine that actually kind of cares.

But since we're recommending oils, I'm gonna say Rotella T6. All the cool kids are running that.

Forklift motor don't care.

Just make sure you fill somewhere between 7 and 8 quarts when you change it.

I run mobil1 0w40 'european car formula' in my 07 GTI because, well, it actually meets VW spec for an engine that actually kind of cares.

But since we're recommending oils, I'm gonna say Rotella T6. All the cool kids are running that.

Thanks all I'm good and gonna park the dead horse. Sorry for the rewind..

J

1996 FZJ80, mostly stock, no lockers

7.5Qts 5w-30 Mobil 1 Full Syn.
Toyota Filter

I run this in all 3 of my Toyotas, never had an engine issue (fingers crossed)
5 Qt Jug is about $25 at China*Mart, I buy 3 at a time
~$40 for a case of Toyota Filters on Ebay, have a case for every car I own.
Never heading to store for 1 qt oil or $3 filter...but my wife will run all day to Starbucks to get a a coffee....

IMO all motor oils are better than they were 30 years ago. And yes Synthetics are better, but in high mileage engines they can lead to leaks past old gaskets.

Me, I'm running Rotella, in my FZJ and in my Powerstroke. 228k on the Toyota, and 232k on the Ford.

I was running Mobil 1 5-30 but was reading the faq on oil changes here on Mud...It claims that Mobil 1 5w-30 is thinner than other 5w-30 and recommended, if using Mobil 1, to use 0-40.

So I recently made the switch...my motor still runs and seems to hold a little higher pressure (could be in my mind).

If you haven't already, read the FAQ there is tons of info on it.

Sent from DynaTAC bag phone

Everyone will have an opinion. Many here run synthetic, me included. (Mobil 1, 5w-40 diesel truck) but its not necessary. For me the biggest advantage to synthetic is cold weather starts are better. And I tend to push my change intervals as I drive a lot.

But pretty much any oil changed regularly will do the job. Decide what you like and don't over think it too much.

I get engine oil analyses regularly to keep track of the condition of the oil I'm using but also so I can make a decision based on hard data (wear metals, etc) whether the oil I've chosen is protecting the engine, or not. Had been using Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT with good results, just switched to Mobil 1 0W-40 and will know in 5000 miles on how well it's doing. FWIW here's a copy of the Blackstone report on sample of fresh Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula straight from the bottle (baseline). Interesting that the results show both phosphorus and zinc about 100ppm lower than what Mobil has listed on their website for this oil.

Blackstone labs engine oil analysis Mobil 1 0W-40 virgin oil copy.jpg

I get engine oil analyses regularly to keep track of the condition of the oil I'm using but also so I can make a decision based on hard data (wear metals, etc) whether the oil I've chosen is protecting the engine, or not. Had been using Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT with good results, just switched to Mobil 1 0W-40 and will know in 5000 miles on how well it's doing. FWIW here's a copy of the Blackstone report on sample of fresh Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula straight from the bottle (baseline). Interesting that the results show both phosphorus and zinc about 100ppm lower than what Mobil has listed on their website for this oil.

Interesting. do you buy the 5 quart jugs at Walmart just like i do?

I mean, my VW takes 4.5 quarts (ish), and why pay $9/qt?

I know a guy who has access to a mass spectrometer . . . .

Yes, I get the 5 quart jugs from Wally-Mart and occasionally will also pick up a single quart (~$7) of various Mobil 1 oils for topping up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom