engine code info

Hi, I am new here and have a question. I picked up a 1974 FJ40 last summer and it came with a hole rusted out 1977 for parts. The engine was not in it but I have it. Now my 1974 should have a F code engine and it has a 3 speed tranny, I would think the other engine would be a 2F engine but the stamp on the engine is F-330835. I do not see a "2" in it but it is much different from the engine in the 1974. Can anyone tell me what this engine is so I can look into rebuilding it to install it?
Thanks
Docweld

brian

SILVER Star

if they're is no 2, it's probably a '70 or '71 F.
what's the production date of the '74? only a few of early 74s had the 3 speeds.

witch one is the better one? The one in the running 74 seems to loss oil pressure after it warms up as per the gage. also I want to swop out the 4 speed out of the 77 but it has an extra leaver on the tranny/transfur on it, have you ever seen that? shifter,2/4 wheel shifter and an extra one.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor

I dont see a four speed transmission...

brian

SILVER Star

the trans on the F is a 3spd with the column shift top plate and some linkage still on it.
the transfer was originally vacuum shifted from 2H and 4H.

brian

SILVER Star

if there is no engine in the 77, it would be hard to have the trans still in.

i would check the oil pressure in the F.5 before fully trusting an old pressure sending is telling you the truth.

Well, I feel like an idiot now. right before you said that I figured that out. how could there be a tranny on this engine out of it but a tranny still in it...... Thanks
so the engine in the running 74 is the f.5 and a better engine so I should just fix the oil pressure issue but what about the extra shifter lever in the 77?

Top Bottom