Emblem Ideas (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW, I also like the look of the 200 series LANDCRUSER plate above the license plate. It's silver/chrome, but maybe you could paint just the letters gold to match your sombrero, or just the outer trim and leave the letters chrome. Just a thought (especially because it would act as the hand protection you're looking for).

Just out of curiosity, do you know if the rear sombrero is the same size as the front? They have different part numbers and are listed for sdifferent prices online, I was just curious. Did the rear sombrero also attach with three screws?

FWIW, I also like the look of the 200 series LANDCRUSER plate above the license plate. It's silver/chrome, but maybe you could paint just the letters gold to match your sombrero, or just the outer trim and leave the letters chrome. Just a thought (especially because it would act as the hand protection you're looking for).

Just out of curiosity, do you know if the rear sombrero is the same size as the front? They have different part numbers and are listed for sdifferent prices online, I was just curious. Did the rear sombrero also attach with three screws?
Rear sombrero has pins and attaches with double sided tape, while the front sombrero attaches via 2 screws, IIRC. Not sure whether they're the same size though. Definitely different part numbers.

Fronts are bigger and do not have adhesive backing, but they do screw or clip on.
Two on left are Gold Emblems, left is chrome
069.JPG

057.JPG

Last edited:
I've installed the Gold Sombrero & 50th Anniversary emblems. It's legit right, 2001 is the 50th Anniversary?

What do you think?. It's a small strike zone but unclutter look!
006 a.jpg

007 a.jpg

body 9-22-16 (4).JPG

body 9-22-16 (5).JPG

I may change yet again, it's easy enough just a bit pricy.
The two other candidates at this time are the 03-07 solid color matching (gold letter if available) & @Ali FJ80 suggestion. This gold may not match is why I didn't order, but picture may not be accurately represent shade of gold. Both of these would cover my paint blemishes & give larger strike zone>
seller I got my white one from also makes a gold one :grinpimp:

Capture_zpsiwgiwkk9.jpg

Last edited:
I've installed the Gold Sombrero & 50th Anniversary emblems. It's legit right, 2001 is the 50th Anniversary?

What do you think?. It's a small strike zone but unclutter look!
View attachment 1365396
View attachment 1365398

I may change yet again, it's easy enough just a bit pricy.
The two other candidates at this time are the 03-07 solid color matching (gold letter if available) & @Ali FJ80 suggestion. This gold may not match is why I didn't order, but picture may not be accurately represent shade of gold. Both of these would cover my paint blemishes & give larger strike zone>

Remove the 50th sticker and leave it clean. Looks very nice without trim. The more I visit the more I like naked!

Remove the 50th sticker and leave it clean. Looks very nice without trim. The more I visit the more I like naked!
I agree. But to leave naked, I'd damage (scratch) paint each time I close the upper hatch.

The only reason I'm considering even longer (wider) molding is too cover my scratches and increase protection area across lip.

Last edited:
I agree. But to leave naked I'll damage (scratch) paint each time I close the upper hatch with my hand. It's why Mr's T & Miss L place the molding there.

The only reason I'm considering even longer (wider) molding is too cover my scratches and increase protect area across lip.
I appreciate your reasoning .

It does look very clean without the lettering on it.

I'm going to remove all mine once it gets warmer as there is no way I can clean 16 years of grit and dirt and maybe mold from around them. AND I hate gold, lol... Going chrome on the sombrero and hopefully leaving everything else off.

So @2001LC where did you get all your Meguiar's goodies? I've been looking at using a DA on my white paint soon but hate I can't find a local retailer for some of this stuff. I do have Amazon Prime.

If PM is preferred that's fine also.

Thanks

It does look very clean without the lettering on it.

I'm going to remove all mine once it gets warmer as there is no way I can clean 16 years of grit and dirt and maybe mold from around them. AND I hate gold, lol... Going chrome on the sombrero and hopefully leaving everything else off.

So @2001LC where did you get all your Meguiar's goodies? I've been looking at using a DA on my white paint soon but hate I can't find a local retailer for some of this stuff. I do have Amazon Prime.

If PM is preferred that's fine also.

Thanks
@Matserelli suggestion of "clear bra" is the best for the really clean look.

Paints, cutting compound's & wax need 55f deg. or better to use. So winters' a good time to research and acquire detailing stuff (goodies).

I change my whole way of detailing from a pocket full of quarters at the car wash. To a home power washer & bucket w/strainer at home, only touching the paint with micro fiber cleaning & drying mittens, sponges & towels

Body trim polishing & correcting compounds

I started with a 5" Porter Cable DA I found on Craig List and built around that. You may want to go with 6". I purchased most of the stuff like Meguiar's DA micro fiber (MF) pad's, compound's & carwash shampoo with wax, bucket w/strainer at bottom online from Auto detailing clay, detail clay bar, clay lubricant, Pinnacle Poly Clay, Wolfgang, auto detail clay, meguiar's detailing clay, auto clay bar, and some stuff from Amazon and Ebay. Autogeek has a kit with bucket which includes a Meguiars apron. I thought apron would be a waste, but have come to really appreciate the apron. The apron is a valuable tool when detailing for holding wax & towel etc. and protecting paint from clothing scratches. I picked up MF cut-loop wash pads, MF sponges, MF wax towels & MF drying cut loop towels from Wal-Mart. Lacquer thinner from Local hardware and degreaser form Auto paint supply store. Tip: sign-up with autogeek to receive email discounts, before first purchase.

If I was starting out again today I'd go with 6" and foam pads which is mainstream, so easier to find. Also foam is gentler, or so they say IDK. MF cuts deeper than foam supposedly, so faster, but cost is higher and not available locally. Additionally Meguiar's stop making the DA MF 3" cutting pads, which I really liked for spot cutting. They cut deep into areas where grim has eaten deep and bad scratches need second cut, like under the LAND CRUISER & V8 letters. Additionally Meguiar's has issue with DA MF cutting pads separating. I'd get one of my 100 series done and it would have ~30% separation around edges, losing it's cutting power. They say it's due to heat build up, so cleaning after 4 passes is a must to allow cool down as well as remove dirt & grim from pad.

Last edited:

Depends. 1951 was the introduction of the Land Cruiser...making 2001 the 50th Anniversary.

1957 was the introduction of the Land Cruiser in the US...thus the 1997 40th Anniversary US Spec 80 Series trucks. There was no 50th Anniversary package on the 2007 in the US.

I put an OEM plate from a late-100 Series (color-matched white from Toyota) on my 99...updates and protects.

I put an OEM plate from a late-100 Series (color-matched white from Toyota) on my 99...updates and protects.

Care to drop pic of that? I'd like to see it.

I checked your post history and just didn't want to search 14 pages to check for a build thread

Sorry man, helping UPS this holiday season has me acting very lazy once I get home. :(

Depends. 1951 was the introduction of the Land Cruiser...making 2001 the 50th Anniversary.

1957 was the introduction of the Land Cruiser in the US...thus the 1997 40th Anniversary US Spec 80 Series trucks. There was no 50th Anniversary package on the 2007 in the US.

Good to Know. I wasn't sure the 03-07 coloring matching OEM would fit. Did it have pins for alignment, like the sombrero?

Good to Know. I wasn't sure the 03-07 coloring matching OEM would fit. Did it have pins for alignment, like the sombrero?

Yes it did. I snapped them off and used only the included 3M double-sided tape. Been mounted 3 years with no issues. I'll grab a pic and post in an hour or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom