EGR Temp Sensor Test Plug (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wanted a more factory look, so no. It will disable it though. I don't like things being looped around and looking like its been messed with. My kit allows for a nice, discrete factory look.
Then you need to probably find a post for Egr delete with plates and all. I want to do the same but can’t afford to have it done for too long this is my DD

It will say pre-order if they are not in stock. I have plenty of the OBDII in stock and the OBDI I just ran out but expect more at the end of the week.

Off-road use only. Ordered, thank you.

Hi Everyone,

I figured I would post up a small project I have been pulling together mainly to satisfy my curiosity about EGR bypass, testing, and making it look good. Many of us have experienced the P0401 code and normally it is an EGR related issue. As you will come to find out, especially after reading many threads on EGR disabling, you will need a 4.7k ohm resistor installed in place of the temp sensor at the intake manifold and then disable or block some vacuum lines. This method only applies to the 95-97 years, which is what I drive. I built his only for testing, not for disabling mandated emissions controls. 93-94 OBD1 are now available as well.

There are two difficult parts to this project. First, a replacement plug for the wiring harness and second, something to replace at the intake manifold. I solved the electrical plug part, and use an allen plug for when I remove the temp sensor at the intake. Ultimately, I will have something built to replace the temp sensor and wiring and electrical plug that looks OEM, but it is really only a resistor giving the ECM the value it wants in order to achieve readiness. Bear in mind, you have to have ECM readiness before you do this and if you disconnect your battery you will loose readiness and not get it back unless you do some other work.

These are the threads I used for research and confirmation others have a successfully disabled the EGR without throwing any codes.

Disable the EGR system the (mostly) Toyota way
EGR Readiness Achieved with EGR Removed!

As of now, I have been building these plugs with the resistor hidden in them and it works like a charm. I have about 4000 miles on my LC with no codes and a nice cool pipe near the wiring harness. Here are a couple of pics of the part that plugs into the harness in lieu of the temp sensor electrical plug.

tsplug-3-jpg.1668085

tsplug-4-jpg.1668087

tsplug-jpg.1668088

tsplug-2-jpg.1668089

Still working to find some sort of alternative to the temp sensor at the intake and when I figure that out, I will post up the completed temp sensor testing harness. I figure this solution, especially for those of us that are picky about how things look, might be nice to have during our testing and diagnosis of EGR related problems like the common P0401 codes.

If you need one, you can buy it here - 1995-1997 FZJ80 EGR Temp Sensor Test Plug Kit. For $35 you will get the test plug, vacuum plugs, an allen plug, and instructions to your door if your in the Conti U.S.
If you make a kit for a '93 FZJ80 engine, please sell me one. I appreciate you for doing this.
Thanks brother,
Stephen Wall

Thank you! Where can I purchase the test plates to block off the EGR system hole left in the manifold and exhaust? I'm new to this and apologize for being a PIA.
Thanks Again!
The kit provides BBs to block the vaccum lines so you dont need to remove the EGR. If you remove it most people are making their own plates or buying the wits end key chains.

Thank you! Where can I purchase the test plates to block off the EGR system hole left in the manifold and exhaust? I'm new to this and apologize for being a PIA.
Thanks Again!
I purchased your kit, primarily for the EGR electric signal defeat. I prefer to remove the EGR valve and modulator to clean up the engine bay. It seems the upper block off plate will be simple enough to install. The lower rear hole, left by the removal of the pipe to the exhaust, looks like a bear to access. This pipe connects to the EGR valve via a threaded flare fitting. Do you know of a way to close off this pipe using a flare fitting cap?
Thanks again.

Set screw takes the place of the sensor.

Awesome.

Ordered.

I have a 1995. It has an obd port. On my other 95 I could get info with a Bluetooth dongle, the current 95 will not communicate that way, and takes an scan tool to read codes and communicate.

I'm assuming I ordered the correct one getting the 95-97? I've read there's some weird early 95 things. I haven't looked to see what the build date is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom