Edic random cut out on 1984 bj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
I have a 1984 bj60 with 3B which I've turboed
I'm lately experiencing two specific problem and don't know if they could be related
Or just random failures.
First is the cutting of the engine, about 4or 5 times, usually just off a start
And going up hill. Cuts for only a half second and comes right back. I'm assuming it is the Edic cutting the
Engine but can't figure where to begin.

Other problem is the glow system does not seem like it is timing correctly, it only glows for about 1 to 2 secs
It used to be 6 to 8 and seemed to go longer when colder as expected. Now temp makes no difference.
I still have the superglow system also....

Thanks for any ideas...

This does sound like the Low Oil Pressure function of the EDIC is happening.. if Oil Pressure is lost, the Engine is cut.. whats your oil pressure like and what is your oil level like?

The other thing that does cause odd EDIC issues is poor engine earthing.. if this is the case, perhaps it also explains your glow plug issues?

Last edited:
It was 2 quarts low, probably the reason. Thanks.
The ground straps all are on and tight.
When I bought the rig the engine one was missing and the edic was cutting out very bad on trip from Washington where I bought it, figured it out and a new ground strap fixed it.

one simple thing to try is to remove the battery connections and sand them very good with a course sand paper or a battery post cleaner. Even if they look good give them a really good clean. Then tighten them right up.

It is a common link to what is causing your issue. You could have two separate issues, but this is the start. On various vehicles including my cruisers I have done a whole lot of troubleshooting to only be led back to the battery and it solved the issues.

Mine did it for 2 reasons, loose negative battery terminal and the wire came off the pressure sender and was sometimes shorting on the block.

Since I installed a Ryco oil filter it sometimes shuts it down on startup, it must have a crappy anti drainback valve and takes to long to fill with oil. Gonna swap it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom