Ebrake just ok (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a driveline disc brake on a tacoma that a shop fabbed up for me.

very similar to this:
Toyota Mini Truck Transfer-case E-Brake

They did a great job at making it and boy did it hold the truck in place. There were some drawbacks though...like if your driveshaft or axle shaft is busted it doesn't work so good.

I don't think one could be made for a truck as heavy as the cruiser though.

Definitely doable. Just don't rely on them off-road as @BILT4ME suggests. Fkn scary watching a rig hop, skip, slide down a rocky hill as it loses traction at one wheel, then the other.

They also hang down too far for my liking.

There's an Aussie company that sells a kit, but it's spendy!

Hand brake lever adjustment is 10mm double nuts. The lower nut has a "bottom lip" or something similar that was frustrating me until I held them with a Vice grip. Adjusted hand brake down to about 5 clicks. Cleaned and minor repair to the boot. BTW, there is an inch or so of velcro on the underside of the boot where it meets the handle. Makes removal easier.

Edit: remember to lower the hand brake level all the way down before adjusting nuts. Easy to leave it up a bit after removing the boot.

I didn't realize that the e brake lever was supposed to do something. I figured Toyota put the handle in there so people could pull it up and pretend like they are driving a drift car without the results of a drift car.

Seriously, mine may grab a slight bit but it doesn't come close to stopping it

I rebuilt mine and it still didn't hold. I added a 1 inch sleeve under the double adjuster nuts on the handle and it holds pretty well. I think the cable just stretches a good bit over the 20+ years.

i always had good luck removing the drive plate, adjusting the star thingy until i can't rotate the wheel and then backing it off two or three clicks. it works great using this method but i find it does require adjustment fairly frequently???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom