Wanted Early spare tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

one that attaches to the side of the tub or one that hinges at the back?

Make sure that the carrier you get is the same vintage as the hinges you have. My '64 had later hinges on it when I bought it, which have a different spacing from the tub. PO had done some custom stuff to make it close. Worked fine once I got a pair of the correct hinges.

Here is one, needs u-shaped tire holder and catch that bolts onto body, eashers and castle nuts. It's on the West coast, heavy item. E-mail pardion@comcast.net if interested. Thanks, John
DSC04104.JPG
DSC04103.JPG

I've got the bolt on piece if needed.

My old 63 just had the bolt on piece on the side of the tub. no rear carrier.

So my ‘63 is 11 units earlier than yours Paul (based on registry). That doesn’t seem like enough to justify different tire racks - mine is swing out in rear. At least the upper mount holes and body support are there, bottom holes and structure are in rust heaven. I picked up the carrier from John. There are also the mount brackets for the under bed carrier along the cross member that has the upper shock mounts as well as the sway bar brackets. And the little bracket the carrier locks into on the underside of the rear cross member is also there. But no carrier. What’s with all the options in a short time period?

So my ‘63 is 11 units earlier than yours Paul (based on registry). That doesn’t seem like enough to justify different tire racks - mine is swing out in rear. At least the upper mount holes and body support are there, bottom holes and structure are in rust heaven. I picked up the carrier from John. There are also the mount brackets for the under bed carrier along the cross member that has the upper shock mounts as well as the sway bar brackets. And the little bracket the carrier locks into on the underside of the rear cross member is also there. But no carrier. What’s with all the options in a short time period?

it was an early 63 40 series I owned a long time ago, 25 years maybe?
my 63 45 has a swing out tire carrier.

Oops, duh. My bad. Back to OP’s thread, hijack over.

Here's the piece that attaches to what @pardion has.

a similar piece was bolted to the tub, I think driver side, similar to some 25 series, on my old 1963 40 series hardtop.

DSCF2297.JPG

DSCF2298.JPG

DSCF2299.JPG

Early used thick washers attached to space out lug holes in stead of raised pressed metal, can't tell when tire and hubcap is on.
Yes. Functionally the same, and even visibly with tire in place. The early ones look like this:

IMG_1330.jpg

When did the stud to hold a lock start? Can't remember if my later 62 had the spare tire carrier or not. My early 62 FST tub still has the carrier attached and does not have a stud.

When did the stud to hold a lock start? Can't remember if my later 62 had the spare tire carrier or not. My early 62 FST tub still has the carrier attached and does not have a stud.

Locking stud is a mystery and may be market specific on early cruisers. Here is a pic of FJ25 that has locking stud on spare tyre carrier.

th1O24FCWR.jpg

My '64 is very early, 23mm lugs, build date of May '63 (approx). The spare carrier is definitely original with lock stud. Original paint was the same bandaid as in the rest of the truck.

My '64 is very early, 23mm lugs, build date of May '63 (approx). The spare carrier is definitely original with lock stud. Original paint was the same bandaid as in the rest of the truck.

Really hard to prove a spare tire carrier is original this many years later. Bought my 68 in 1974 and one of the lugs was already broken. Wasn't long before I found a good one at a wreckers and replaced it. Broken lugs and missing lugs because the weld broke on back were a common problem on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom