Dumb easy question: Can't find info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have a stamped 1966 fj40 (probably a '64 judging by the serrated top) and I converted from 3 on the tree to an fj40 h42 but kept my 3 speed original T-case. Two questions:

-Can I use my original PTO gear with that setup and run a PTO or do I need a 4 speed PTO gear in my transfer case?

-I am considering a fairey O/D as this is my daily driver. I do not know where they mount. Can I run a pto and a fairey OD?

Thanks!

No and yes
Need a sixteen spline PTO gear. Three speed is only ten.
Fairey O/D mounts on the transmission output shaft and can run a PTO winch if it has the PTO gear installed and not the spacer. Thought about doing this myself to my 68. Think the torque tube behind the transfer case would need to move back for clearance for the O/D.

No and yes
Need a sixteen spline PTO gear. Three speed is only ten.
Fairey O/D mounts on the transmission output shaft and can run a PTO winch if it has the PTO gear installed and not the spacer. Thought about doing this myself to my 68. Think the torque tube behind the transfer case would need to move back for clearance for the O/D.
Thanks a lot for your answer! So if I understand you correctly, I have to get a 16 spline PTO gear (that will fit in my current T-case) and the Fairey would work with a PTO. But a torque tube would need to be moved back? Unfortunately, I don't know what that is or entails.

Thanks a lot for your answer! So if I understand you correctly, I have to get a 16 spline PTO gear (that will fit in my current T-case) and the Fairey would work with a PTO. But a torque tube would need to be moved back? Unfortunately, I don't know what that is or entails.
If you do go Fairey O/D it has it's own PTO gear and neither one from a three or four will work. Did you or someone else install the H42? I have one in my 68 and clearance is very tight between the drum for the hand brake and torque tube. Possible it may already be moved.

If you do go Fairey O/D it has it's own PTO gear and neither one from a three or four will work. Did you or someone else install the H42? I have one in my 68 and clearance is very tight between the drum for the hand brake and torque tube. Possible it may already be moved.
I installed and adapted the transmission and t-case under LOTS OF SUPERVISION meaning I know what the parts looked like and I ordered the adapter gear for the 3 t-case to the H42. But I couldn't tell you the anatomy of most of the drive terrain parts. The main reason I wanted to keep my 3 speed t-case was not only for the lower ratio but also to keep my cool Vacuum shift assembly. So with all of this being said with my end goal of retaining my Vacuum shift case, having a PTO, a Fairey and an H42... What would you do? Is it possible? When I mean possible I mean little to no welding and only cutting my trans hump. Thanks a lot for helping a Cruiser brother out!

Ahh... The torque tube is the round tube that runs across the frame... When I installed this gear I had the body off and had to do some pursuading to get it to fit. I should've cut the tube and rolled it back so I could'very prepped it for an h55 but I was in a hurry.

If you plan on going H55F at some point won't spend the money on parts if you plan on taking out and going five speed. Unless you have a split transfer case with the hand brake you will be moving it to the rear axle. In that case may not need to move the torque tube. Rotating it back will lower it and may interfere with the driveline. I plan on a five speed but not for my 68. Hoping other than having to drill holes in the frame for the L brackets for the transmission crossmember I've aquired the parts I need to make it bolt in on my 79. On the pre 73 models it's not just transmission hump it's the brace at the back of it your dealing with. I shimmed the front motor mounts which lower transmission and transfer case to give better clearance in the hump. I didn't keep the vacuum shifter and used a transmission hump from a 73-78 which are taller. Do you already have a O/D? If you do should be easy enough to measure and check clearances. Have the O/D but haven't gotten serious enough to check it out.

If you plan on going H55F at some point won't spend the money on parts if you plan on taking out and going five speed. Unless you have a split transfer case with the hand brake you will be moving it to the rear axle. In that case may not need to move the torque tube. Rotating it back will lower it and may interfere with the driveline. I plan on a five speed but not for my 68. Hoping other than having to drill holes in the frame for the L brackets for the transmission crossmember I've aquired the parts I need to make it bolt in on my 79. On the pre 73 models it's not just transmission hump it's the brace at the back of it your dealing with. I shimmed the front motor mounts which lower transmission and transfer case to give better clearance in the hump. I didn't keep the vacuum shifter and used a transmission hump from a 73-78 which are taller. Do you already have a O/D? If you do should be easy enough to measure and check clearances. Have the O/D but haven't gotten serious enough to check it out.
I don't have the overdrive or the 5 speed. Those are just what I am dreaming about but have close to enough funds for a Fairey O/D. I do however have the PTO box and will have the rest of the PTO soon. The PTO box is not installed on my current setup though. Your '79 with a 5 speed would be a dream for me! So I think what you're saying at the end of the day if I wanted to run an O/D and winch, I would have to convert up to a 4 speed T-case and would lose my vacuum transfer shift but I could have a PTO and an O/D?

I don't have the overdrive or the 5 speed. Those are just what I am dreaming about but have close to enough funds for a Fairey O/D. I do however have the PTO box and will have the rest of the PTO soon. The PTO box is not installed on my current setup though. Your '79 with a 5 speed would be a dream for me! So I think what you're saying at the end of the day if I wanted to run an O/D and winch, I would have to convert up to a 4 speed T-case and would lose my vacuum transfer shift but I could have a PTO and an O/D?

You can run a vacuum shift on the the transfer from a four speed. Four bolts and one comes off and the other goes on. If you do change to a five speed would need a split transfer case which would require a different PTO. The PTO gear in the transfer case is different as it's a nineteen spline. Be careful or you will end up like me with parts for multiple mods to the for same vehicle.

Haha! I'm already there friend. Ended up buying multiple parts for the same car. Great to hear I can maintain my vacuum T-case shift with a 4 speed and run a pto and a fairey. Now I have to track down a solid complete fairy o/d for a 4 speed. It's been great jamming back and forth with you on these topics today. Thanks a lot for your insight and help. Best of luck with your 5 speed in your '79.

I just finished performing a transmission/transfer case reseal along with a new clutch and engine mounts on my stock '78 40. The original plan was to install one of the two Fairey overdrive units that I have. Unfortunately, the space was between the transfer and crossmember (torque tube) was so close that the only way to do the job from underneath the truck was to relocate the cross member. Just reinstalling the trans and transfer was a fairly tight squeeze!. Soooo, the overdrive is not going in. If your Cruiser is not all stock, the overdrive would be well worth doing some modifications to allow it to fit. Best of luck with your overdrive plans!

Rich

I just finished performing a transmission/transfer case reseal along with a new clutch and engine mounts on my stock '78 40. The original plan was to install one of the two Fairey overdrive units that I have. Unfortunately, the space was between the transfer and crossmember (torque tube) was so close that the only way to do the job from underneath the truck was to relocate the cross member. Just reinstalling the trans and transfer was a fairly tight squeeze!. Soooo, the overdrive is not going in. If your Cruiser is not all stock, the overdrive would be well worth doing some modifications to allow it to fit. Best of luck with your overdrive plans!

Rich
Thanks for the good words Rich! On that note since your O/D's didn't fit would you want to part with them?

Few years ago I compared my 68 torque tube to the one in my 73. The tube moved a little bit back on the 73 meaning would be a tight squeeze if at all on a 66 without moving the torque tube. My O/Ds are at a different location otherwise could measure the depth. I would measure the distance from the transfer case by the cone shaped cover to the torque tube. Then get a O/D measurement so you know going in if you need to move the torque tube. As for a 78 it should fit with no issue instructions show it fitting until 1/79 on the FJ40. FJ55 it fit all years. They based that on a stock drive train for the year it was made. If I decide to keep my 73 FST thought about using a H41, Fairey O/D, three speed transfer case and PTO winch. Since a four speed was offered in 73 in some markets it should bolt right in.

Thanks for the good words Rich! On that note since your O/D's didn't fit would you want to part with them?
Actually I was going to work on putting them up for sale...I just hadn't taken the time yet. One is brand new and the other is in very good condition with a set of new bearings. Both are for four speeds. If you are interested drop me an email at rpetrulio@sbcglobal.net.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom