Dual transfer case help !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
whats going on I’m new to the site so be easy . I just picked up a 1988 Toyota mini 5-speed its going to be a straight crawler. I want to put two transfer cases on not a crawl box. I know I need the adapter plate but for the second transfer case what is the name of the transfer or technical name or model I need is it just another stock one that’s in it now stacked behind it or does it need to be different because of spline etc..

whats going on I’m new to the site so be easy . I just picked up a 1988 Toyota mini 5-speed its going to be a straight crawler. I want to put two transfer cases on not a crawl box. I know I need the adapter plate but for the second transfer case what is the name of the transfer or technical name or model I need is it just another stock one that’s in it now stacked behind it or does it need to be different because of spline etc..

Let's see if this helps. See pic.

The gear drive transfer case is composed of two sections. The front section is the high/low range box. Behind it is the section that lets you shift between rear drive, and 4WD. You take a donor transfer case, take it a part to end up with just the high/low box. So looking at the pic ...

• The low-range box is off a donor transfer case (it has the shifter). It's bolted to the transmission.
  • There is an adapter between the low-range box, and the transfer case. Essentially, you are going to bolt two low-range sections together using the adapter.
  • Bolted to the adapter is another gear drive transfer case.

If you look close in my pic my transmission (R151F) was originally a forward shift and I converted the low-range box to a top shift. The block off plate I made for the transmission is (sort of) visible right behind the tranny shifter.

R151F itemized.jpg

Last edited:
It’s a 4 cylinder and awesome reply thanks for all that helpful info

It’s a 4 cylinder and awesome reply thanks for all that helpful info
Ya, I saw your sig after the fact and fixed the post.

Also, the directions at Marlin are excellent. Combined with the Factory Service Manual (and a few tools) you can do this.

Transfer Assembly.JPG

I’ll be going with marlin! Now I just posted a WANTED for a L52 transfer case lol

L52 is a tranny. RF1A is a T-case.

Your tranny with the 22RE is probably a W56B with topshift RF1, 22R most likely a W56A forwardshift. Converting a RF1 forwardshift to topshift is easy I did it at my dinning room table without a kit.

With dual cases you'll wanna upgrade motor mounts especially driver side or increase torque will rip mount apart. Several different methods can buy a "bombproof" mount, use a chain to limit movement. I drilled straight through mount and used a 1/2" grade 8 bolt, trick is listed on Marlin's site. Well thats where I got it years ago. I would tack weld nut to bolt or it will vibrate loose.

As far as adapters go, I haven't researched in yrs. But marlin and TG used two different methods for keeping reduction in gear. Marlin used the cut of gears to stay in gear like design Toyota used. While TG used a heavier detent ball spring to keep in gear. TG was known for popping out of gear at random times under throttle. Don't know much about inchworm/LROR. Will be worth the research and possible cost difference.

Will be worth the research and possible cost difference.

Or just with Marlin and call it a day. I've run Inchworm in the past in another truck with no issue. I currently run Marlin.

Sumo gears are the only other ones I'd go with besides Marlins after researching all of the brands.

I will be going with marlin

You won't be sorry. Excellent products and service. Stay away from Trail copyeverybodyandbuilditinchina Gear. IMHO.

My thoughts:

If you go dual cases, you will need a second transfer case, a dual case adaptor, a modified shift fork in the front case (can be purchased or made if you can weld), new custom driveshafts, interior modifications including a new hole in the floor and center console issues, and different crossmember setup (I think). This will net you about 5.2:1 in the T-case.

If you go with a set of transfer case gears you will need a set of transfer case gears.... This will net you 4.7:1 in the T-case.

The gears can be done in a short day, the rest of that is a much longer project. Make the best decision depending on your budget, timeframe, workspace. In the long run with a dedicated crawler you're going to want duals and a crawler box....

I did single 4.7 case. Was fine for the most part but had short falls. Duals with 4.7 in the rear is the way to go.

I've run a single 4.7. I currently run a pair of 2.25. I prefer the dual over the single 4.7 by a long shot. Lower gearing. More choices. Sometimes the single 4.7 is too low and limiting.

Let's see if this helps. See pic.

The gear drive transfer case is composed of two sections. The front section is the high/low range box. Behind it is the section that lets you shift between rear drive, and 4WD. You take a donor transfer case, take it a part to end up with just the high/low box. So looking at the pic ...

• The low-range box is off a donor transfer case (it has the shifter). It's bolted to the transmission.
  • There is an adapter between the low-range box, and the transfer case. Essentially, you are going to bolt two low-range sections together using the adapter.
  • Bolted to the adapter is another gear drive transfer case.

If you look close in my pic my transmission (R151F) was originally a forward shift and I converted the low-range box to a top shift. The block off plate I made for the transmission is (sort of) visible right behind the tranny shifter.

View attachment 1646266
Reviving an old thread. @pappy - Why did you convert the forward-shift Crawl Box to a top-shift?

The reason I ask - I just scored an R151F turbo transmission and forward shift t-case that was rebuilt by Marlin Crawler. Zero miles on both the trans and t-case. I want to run dual cases. My plan was to run the forward-shift case as the Crawl Box, and find a good used top-shift core to rebuild for the rear transfer case.

I've read about people converting a forward-shift case to top-shift because a top-shift case is required for the rear case of a dual case setup. But I've never seen someone convert the Crawl Box to top-shift. Is top shift better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom