Drop in replacement speakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, so I have a seriously blown front door speaker that makes listening to gravel shaken in a tin can sound better than my stereo. I have the JBL system in my 2006 LC and I really want to replace the speaker myself, but I'm not extremely knowledgeable about this stuff.
I've read some posts about replacing the door speakers and amps, but a lot of it gets fairly complicated. I would really like to be able to keep the current amp and everything and just drop in a couple of new door speakers that will fit where the current ones are without any sort of cutting or fabricating.
Are there any speakers that will fit this way? I understand the JBL systems makes it complicated with the speaker baskets that are used with the stock system and all... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Search again as there is a very detailed write up on this site with pictures showing every step of the way.

I recently bought the following and for the most part they dropped right in:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refe...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

I have an 04 LC by the way with the JBL head unit, doubt speakers are JBL tho so maybe '06 has a different setup. So install was very easy but I ran into a HUGE issue, so much so that I had to yank the front 6.5" infinity's and put the OEM front speakers back in. I did keep the new tweeters and rears in place. But there was a massive bass drone with the new front 6.5" speakers. Even with bass down to 0 it was unbearable. After just a couple days I went back to the OEM front speakers and everything sounded really good.

In short, I have a set of nearly brand new Infinity's for the front 6.5" location. Let me know if you want them cheap! Other members have used them pretty frequently and only one other person has mentioned the drone issue so it may be isolated. Most on this site say they are really happy with them.

I recently put a pair of the 6032cf speakers in my front doors and I'm pretty unhappy with them. I probably was expecting too much from $50 speakers but as far as bass goes, they are a huge downgrade from the stock speakers.

I recently put a pair of the 6032cf speakers in my front doors and I'm pretty unhappy with them. I probably was expecting too much from $50 speakers but as far as bass goes, they are a huge downgrade from the stock speakers.
I was considering those when I redid my sound system but after doing a bit more research and getting in contact with Crutchfield (which I would highly recommend if you have any questions), I ended up going with the Infinity Primus PR6500cs. These are component speakers so they include the tweeters but you can also get just the door speakers

Nice! Those dropped right in for you and you feel like the bass response is as good or better than stock?

@dfinn I definitely noticed more bass in those speakers than the stock ones. However, I also put a JL Audio 10" in a shallow mount box in the trunk but it is controlled by a bass knob by my right knee. I can turn that down and there is still a good amount of bass coming from the door speakers

@dfinn I definitely noticed more bass in those speakers than the stock ones. However, I also put a JL Audio 10" in a shallow mount box in the trunk but it is controlled by a bass knob by my right knee. I can turn that down and there is still a good amount of bass coming from the door speakers

I have 12" now but it's taking up allot of space. What model dos you get and did it come with the enclosure?

@bucfl I was considering the 12" but decided on 10" instead since I've always had a better experience with the latter. JL Audio HO110RG-W3v3, and yes it came in a shallow mount wedge enclosure that tucks up nicely against the back of my rear seats
h13693135-F.jpeg

Trunk.jpg

Yeah it was a little pricey but totally worth it. I opted to pick out each component separately because a lot of those 'all-inclusive' packages have certain pieces that are cheaply made such as the wiring or a certain size of a specific speaker. Found that out after doing weeks of research. Here is my sound system setup:

Headunit: Kenwood DDX372BT

Alpine MRV-F300 50Wx4 amplifier powering:
- Front Doors: Infinity Primus PR6500cs w/tweeters
- Rear Doors: Kicker 41DSC654 w/tweeters

Alpine MRV-F500 500Wx1 amplifier powering:
- JL Audio HO110RG-W3v3
(Bass level is controlled by an Alpine Rux-Knob mounted on the side of the gear selector console by my right knee)

Yeah it was a little pricey but totally worth it. I opted to pick out each component separately because a lot of those 'all-inclusive' packages have certain pieces that are cheaply made such as the wiring or a certain size of a specific speaker. Found that out after doing weeks of research. Here is my sound system setup:

Headunit: Kenwood DDX372BT

Alpine MRV-F300 50Wx4 amplifier powering:
- Front Doors: Infinity Primus PR6500cs w/tweeters
- Rear Doors: Kicker 41DSC654 w/tweeters

Alpine MRV-F500 500Wx1 amplifier powering:
- JL Audio HO110RG-W3v3
(Bass level is controlled by an Alpine Rux-Knob mounted on the side of the gear selector console by my right knee)

How does your door speakers sound without the subwoofer on? How does it handle the bass?

How does your door speakers sound without the subwoofer on? How does it handle the bass?
They sound surprisingly great! Even the shop that installed them commented on how well the speakers and tweeters hit the highs. They're crisp and clean sounding and I am very happy with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom