Driveline strength for likely turboed LS 6.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
I've been slowly planning a build for my 40. Someday I'll finish the shaved and narrowed 14b for the rear and have to decide on a front axle that can also handle the potential power I may build for.

I gathered a Ford 9" housing with the intentions of welding on 80 knuckles and using RCV guts.

Should I instead use Dana 60 outers so I can use 1.5" 35 spline shafts and big joints?

I haven’t heard of anyone making an inner seal that will accept a 35 spline shaft for any land cruiser.
Your best bet is doing a common 60 outer knuckle. At least you will keep everything 8 lug

You said 80 knuckles with 9” Ford center on your first post ?
I think your problem will be the rear if you stick with a toy axle, but seems like you already have a 14 bolt !

What kind of wheeling are you planning to do with a turbo LS?

Build to your intended use.

IMHO, I think it all comes down to $, I think we all want big and fancy things, but sometimes we want to create with what we have.
For sure 35 spline is the way to go....
I had a 40 with an ls1 and toy 9.5” axles. Here on the east coast, momentum is one of the techniques to conquer an obstacle, having said that, I broke multiple rear shafts and never had issues in the front.
At the moment I have plans to Install a 9.5” front axle with 80 knuckles and a rear 9” Ford (35 splines) with Dana 60 unit bearings on a 80 series with 40” tires, off course if I had more $, I would ditch the front toy axle and build a front 609, but I already have all parts ;)

I want to build the truck to do whatever I may want. If I want to mess with someone who thinks they have a fast car or to clean my tires out or just putz around.

An engine builder recently explained that with a turbo, it's only making the big power if you're asking it to.

I want my driveline to handle it.

...and i want to mess with my little brother and his CTS-V...

With lots of power your going to want more track width so be careful how narrow you go. Wider the better. I would use axles that are bomb proof. I would recommend 14 bolt axles front and rear. If your just driving it on the street and mild offroad, Toyota axles may hold up. Engine bay packaging will be tight with a turbo and v8 on a 40. Supercharger may be easier for packaging.

An engine builder recently explained that with a turbo, it's only making the big power if you're asking it to.

That's the problem, you'll probably ask it to quite a bit. At least at first you will and then you'll get used to the power and couldn't imagine how you lived without it. I'd do dana60 stuff up front if you want it to handle whatever you want to throw at it. That will give you a platform to upgrade if you need more power in the future.

Since I started this thread I contacted RCV to get their take. They suggested that their 80 series birfs and custom inners to a 31 spline 9” would be fine. Not sure I buy that, but I’m also not sure how crazy I’ll actually get with the engine.

My real goal is to have this be a safe and fun daily driver/wheeler.

I already have a narrowed and shaved C&C 14B. I also already have the reworked 14b hubs for 6-lug.

5-600hp in a fj40 is nuts... turbo ls can make some stupid power, just make sure the tune is good, and you have a good cage and harness....

sorry about the language, didn't see that until I posted...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom