Downey Off Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

used a lot of downey stuff over the years still have a bunch of thier catalogs .only thing i didnt like was the holley set up still have one of their no spins in the front of our 69 fst .

Manual Steering
Early Magazines 004.JPG

Cool. I have Jim's. Power steering setup from the 80's Still on my rig , it would be cool to see the power steering instructional or information sheets also

Way back when Downey used small blocks and spacers to get a flat surface on the box to Mount it to the flat frame scab plate. Blocks and countersunk bolts. And Allen cap bolts. Lol. Still works fine today , I love seeing this old Downey lit.

Downey Installation Manuals:

1) Fuel Injection #21911 69-87 TLC
2) Disc Brake Components TLC
3) Fuel Cell TLC
4) Saginaw Steering Conversion TLC
5) V-8 Engine Conversion TLC

Attachments

• Downey Installation Instructions 69-87 LC Fuel Injection #21911.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,187
  • Downey Installation Instructions Disc Brake Components.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 604
  • Downey Installation Instructions LC Fuel Cell.pdf
    952.5 KB · Views: 527
  • Downey Installation Instructions LC Saginaw Steering Conversion.pdf
    581.4 KB · Views: 505
  • Downey TLC V-8 Engine Conversion Instruction Manual.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,424
Downey Installation Manuals:

1) Fuel Injection #21911 69-87 TLC
2) Disc Brake Components TLC
3) Fuel Cell TLC
4) Saginaw Steering Conversion TLC
5) V-8 Engine Conversion TLC
I just picked up a 40 parts truck with a Downey bell housing. I visited Jim at his shop back in 2000. I was killing time after our Ivan Stewart trophy truck blew up 900miles into the Baja 2000 race. I loved the pro desert grand slam lift I had on my 86 4-runner. They made quality products.

I love the cartoon drawings of the trucks and Cruisers!

Looking for price on adapter 4l60E to 3 speed Landcruiser case

The 40 I just picked had a wicked 80s paint job, a terrible tiny 80s steering wheel, and other odd upgrades. It's pretty retro cool when you think about it. It has a Downey air cleaner on a Holley carb and what I believe is a Downey tow hitch. It has a full roll bar that looks professionally made and at one time had an auxiliary fuel tank. This 40 was prob very prized in the height of its glory days. Did Downey make this roll bar?

IMG_7294.JPG
IMG_7289.JPG

I actually think a truck I just purchased has this setup installed, albeit not very well. I'd be interested in seeing the instructions to understand how it was intended to be setup...I can redo it appropriately without them but would still be cool to see!

Digging up an old Thread. I found this while going through my "stash" today.
Downey.jpg

My first cruiser had a Holley 350 carb (installed in 1987) and this was the air filter. I am going to guess this K&N filter is the same one from 1987.

Briggs.

78 FJ40, blah blah blah, (I've has MIBS too long to list things)

Last edited:
The 40 I just picked had a wicked 80s paint job, a terrible tiny 80s steering wheel, and other odd upgrades. It's pretty retro cool when you think about it. It has a Downey air cleaner on a Holley carb and what I believe is a Downey tow hitch. It has a full roll bar that looks professionally made and at one time had an auxiliary fuel tank. This 40 was prob very prized in the height of its glory days. Did Downey make this roll bar?

View attachment 1604423 View attachment 1604424
Just seeing this. That is a Smittybilt roll bar and cage kit. They were still available from Dick Cepek and 4WP when I opened my shop in 1990. I actually have one Smittybilt cage kit still in the shop, paid for by someone on the forum about two years ago that has never come by to pick it up!

Last edited:
I think I have the 82' catalog and 84' catalog .... i dont see the 83' .... think i forgot to see if i had the 85' (i'll check again)

if you have the 83' take a quick picture and post it... some catalogs have dates and some you need to look at parts descriptions to tell the year.

see pics AFAIK
top one is 82'
bottom is 84'

bottom pic price list from 4/84
View attachment 1027335 View attachment 1027336
Hi Johnny, Remember me? If you check the earlier posts, it should ring a bell to you as to what I was originally here for. Do you still have the 84 and 85 catalog? It's so I would prefer you to scan them both cover to cover. Otherwise you can sell them both to me and I would gladly take them off your hands. What do you say? If you cold scan them still, please attach a PDF link here or shoot me an email. I will private message you that. I wanted to see the catalogs because of the wealth of TERCEL 4WD wagon stuff in them. So it would mean the world to me if you could either scan both fully or sell both to me, depending on if they are still available. Thanks again 😊

Don’t know why it’s coming up that way opens on my iPhone fine … I uploaded from a pc

I read quickly online that u can download an app called qpdf on kindle and then it will open … or open on something else and convert it to a doc

I can also email it to u to see if it works

They work fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom