Dome light and cargo light tied together (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is just an FYI to improve the interior lighting of your Land Cruiser, by connecting the “switch grounds” for rear cargo light and front dome light. Then both lights will come on when any door or liftgate is open.

Before I did this, I swapped in the 3710-xHP6 LED in the cargo light, and the 3022-xHP4 for the dome light from SuperBrightLEDs.com (as mentioned from several posts). Now these lights are brighter, and I am not worried about draining the battery.

Basically, all we are doing is running a wire from the “door switch ground” of the cargo light, to the “door switch ground” of the left rear passenger door. Behind the head liner is a couple of electrical plugs, which make it almost impossible to fish the new wire directly from the cargo light down to the side panel. But if you do it in two parts, it’s pretty easy.
Stock Interior Lights.GIF

1. You start off by removing the left rear interior panel, which just pops off like any door panel. Then move the washer bag out of the way.
2. Remove the cargo light. Remove the upper lip molding, about half way down the lip, and carefully peel the headliner from the adhesive along the lip (be careful, the headliner will rip easily).
3. Now, run a fish tape from the pocket where the plugs are, down to the side panel area. This takes some finesse, but with patience, you will get. Then pull the new wire up. Run the fish tape again from the cargo light hole, to the pocket, and pull the wire the rest of the way through to the cargo light.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4. Splice this new wire with the red/white-stripe ground wire. DO NOT SPLICE INTO RED/BLACK-STRIPE 12 VOLT HOT WIRE.
5. At the other end splice the new wire with wire going to the left rear door switch.
6. DONE! Just put everything back together.

Now, any single door or liftgate will turn on both lights!
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Cheers for the article there - I'd just been talking about this issue the other day and seeing your thread prompted me into action. Took very little time and works a treat especially with the LED lights now front and rear. Thanks again.

excited to hook this up. especially because i put a switch on the dash that taps into the FR door switch and does the same thing the button does. now i can flip a switch on the dash and have all lights (and potential door lights?!) com on:clap:

Very cool mod, very useful - thankyou for the detailed diagram and pics!

Hey, what are you trying to pull here? That can't be a Cruiser, there is no rust in that inner fender.

Yeah, I was lucky to find this very clean, unmolested FJ60.

Do you all know why the cargo light switch and dome light switch a different part number? Could you schange witch out the dome light for another cargo light switch?

Do you all know why the cargo light switch and dome light switch a different part number? Could you schange witch out the dome light for another cargo light switch?
Cargo light switch is built into the cargo hatch latch, dome light switches are separate switches from the doors and latches.

Wow, I was just thinking about how to do this last night. And voila, this thread pops up to the first page. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom