Does this HJ47 look right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am located in Turkey and considering to buy this Hj47 diesel in here.

It is about 23000 dollars, "somehow" restored, has 60k kilometers.

I have no experience on these trucks at all and never seen another one around me.
I was looking for VX80 but this came up and like the classic look even though it is not very practical for me.
If I buy it I would want to make it %100 stock classic.

My questions for you guys...
1- Does it look like good value for 23k?

2- What are the things that don't look original? (In the body lines, engine compartment etc.)
Especially that funny looking tail gate makes me worry that the bed may lost its original lines. Replacing tail gate enough or now not sure...

3-Is there big ticket item that I should specifically check it out mechanically? (I know it is bulletproof truck but still what to check it out)

I am trying to determine approximately, how much I should spend to get it %100 original classic.
If I get it, the plan is to drive like this for some time and make it right in the meantime.

Toyota Hj47 capraz.JPG
Toyota Hj47 sol yan.JPG
Toyota Hj47 back.JPG
Toyota Hj47 engine.JPG

Toyota Hj47 interior.JPG

The tailgate and valance under it are not stock. Valance maybe modified but tailgate is definitely not Toyota. Paint doors handle which were chrome from the factory is a rad flag. Biggest red flag is the lack of any air cleaner. Dusty part of the world to not filter the aire going thru the engine, not that it's ecceptable anywhere.

No air filter? How long has it been driven that way? No inner door panel. Homemade tailgate. Horn is mounted to the firewall (?). Nothing was removed when the body was painted. Looks like a hack job to me - I would keep looking.

In addition to the missing cleaner that @Living in the Past has noted.. I also see that the PCV port on the throttle body is blocked off. I would say there's a very high likelihood this 2H engine has previously had a turbo fitted. I would really want to see and hear that engine running, especially with the oil cap off to observe blow by.

The dodgy paint job is almost certainly hiding a lot of body issues.

Last edited:
The missing air filter alone should be enough of a reason not to buy it. Who knows how much dust it has already sucked in and the damage it has caused. If they are willing to drive it around without an air filter who knows what other stuff they have skipped on.

The paint job is most likely done to hide a heap of rust.

The tray I don't feel is too bad, it's not original but it doesn't look too bad.

The engine bay is a s*** show! Nothing seems to be in the spots they are supposed to be in. The horn on the firewall is the strangest (apart from no air filter!).

I would run the hell away from that thing, don't let the flashy paint job get the better of you!

In addition to what’s already been said, things I see:
  • No heater
  • Horn mounted to firewall instead of radiator mount
  • What is the hose more or less resting on the exhaust manifold?
  • Agree with Duncan that this likely had an aftermarket turbo previously attached: why is it no longer there?

Just to add to a couple lower priority items to the list
- the seats and shift knob not oem Toyota
- drivers door is missing cover plates / door card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom