Does LC uses needle bearing or bushing on the driver side front axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Atwalz

Civil Engineer
Threads
On my 2007 tundra I have replaced driver side CV axle needle bearing with bushing to help control vibration and shaft float common on the front differential. East Coast Gear Supply offers bushing for Tundra and other rigs. Since the front axle is same except of length. This should work for LC200 as well. It is not an issue at stock height. But after lifting this is known to be an issue in Tundra.

My question is does 200 series front differential uses needle bearing or bushing? I will be doing a lift in few months and collecting parts at this time. I like to knock this out of the way when I swap parts with Tundra IFS.

I understand if you are using ARB front lockers then this is not an issue. I am not planning on ARB lockers at this time.

@bjowett @just differentials @TexAZ @sleeoffroad @cruiseroutfit you guys are experts. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ECGS bushing.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I also got a response from ECGS that bushing does not work for full time 4 wheel drive model. One less thing to worry about. Bushing is only applicable to part time 4 wheel drive.

In the 200 there is no bearing, the CV stub sits and spins right in the diff housing. There may be (?) grooves machined in to the bore to supply lube... I need to double check. The bearing exists in the part time trucks as the CV and stub are spinning while in 2WD, but the diff housing is not.

sorry to hijack, but I now have a vibration in my front end. Sounds like a low growl, and can feel it in the pedal and floor. Most noticeable between 20-40mph when the front end is under load. Sometimes seems to be noticeable in a turn. Any troubleshooting recommendations?

sorry to hijack, but I now have a vibration in my front end. Sounds like a low growl, and can feel it in the pedal and floor. Most noticeable between 20-40mph when the front end is under load. Sometimes seems to be noticeable in a turn. Any troubleshooting recommendations?
I have the same thing, exactly. Feels like a bearing that vibrates under load at a lower rpm. Once you get rolling it seems to go away.

I had that and worried it was coming from the hub, etc. But it was merely cupping in my tread due to a poor alignment on a long road trip.

Here's a hint to identifying if it's tires... Listen on different types of pavement. Concrete on the freeway...blacktop...etc. With mine, it sounds less or more pronounced on certain types of pavement--which would not happen if it was something other than your tire.

Following up incase this helps anyone - totally baffling but for me this was the cooling fan coupling - specifically a worn bearing in there. Can't believe it resulted in so much vibration, was worried this was something in the diff.

Just wondering how you diagnosed this?

Definitely a surprising outcome!
-Probably poked his head under the hood with the cooling fan running...?
If it vibrated the whole rig while driving...wow. Must have reeeeally been flippin hard!

Last edited:
Just wondering how you diagnosed this?
A couple trips to the Toyota dealer, across more than one tech. It was much more prominent in cold weather, and after the truck had sit for a few hours which made it difficult to reproduce. Luckily a recommendation of a hill to drive up at the right speed/rpm made it easy to reproduce.

A couple trips to the Toyota dealer, across more than one tech. It was much more prominent in cold weather, and after the truck had sit for a few hours which made it difficult to reproduce. Luckily a recommendation of a hill to drive up at the right speed/rpm made it easy to reproduce.

Very interesting. We've swapped a handful in the Canguro Racing 200 as they get packed full of silt regularly but we shipped a new AISIN fan clutch to 100 Series customers this last week complaining of the same type of symptoms you had. He totally diagnosed it as I was thinking bad motor mount or driveline vibe, etc.

We stock AISIN (OEM Toyota manufacture) fan clutches for the 200 too! :D

On my 2007 tundra I have replaced driver side CV axle needle bearing with bushing to help control vibration and shaft float common on the front differential. East Coast Gear Supply offers bushing for Tundra and other rigs. Since the front axle is same except of length. This should work for LC200 as well. It is not an issue at stock height. But after lifting this is known to be an issue in Tundra.

My question is does 200 series front differential uses needle bearing or bushing? I will be doing a lift in few months and collecting parts at this time. I like to knock this out of the way when I swap parts with Tundra IFS.

I understand if you are using ARB front lockers then this is not an issue. I am not planning on ARB lockers at this time.

@bjowett @just differentials @TexAZ @sleeoffroad @cruiseroutfit you guys are experts. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 1393467

How is this holding up on your 07' Tundra? I just ordered a bushing from ECGS for mine and was curious to get your feedback. Thanks

How is this holding up on your 07' Tundra? I just ordered a bushing from ECGS for mine and was curious to get your feedback. Thanks

No issues and my axles seals never leaked again. It’s a good design compared to needle bearing.

Don’t forget to get their tool to remove needle bearing and bushing driver if you don’t have em. Good luck with install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom