Does 2007 lx470. Require VGRS Steering gear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I am back once again with a other cruiser problem.

so my power steering sometimes gets really tight on corners especially in parking lots with a lot of quick full strain corners.

I have noticed after this happens my a dripping from the driver side tie rod boot.

now I believe the rack is the culprit for all this.

my question is

2007 lx470. Does it require the vgrs steering gear system that’s like $1000

or can I use a Rack from and older model year that I can purchase for less from Toyota.

does it need to be the Lexus vgrs? Or can I order the less expensive still expensive toyota regular rack

I’m sorry if I’m not explaining my Thoughts properly here.

Vgrs is one of my favorite features, so I'd never try to get rid of it. Parking lots with a non-vgrs rack are laborious one your used to vgrs.

To your question: there are significant differences in mounting between racks on the 100. I don't think the early year rack will be compatible at all.

Have you ran any sort of diagnostics thru OBD2 port to identify if its really the VGRS module? Because that’s actually the last point of failure for a steering symptom like yours..

Have you ran any sort of diagnostics thru OBD2 port to identify if its really the VGRS module? Because that’s actually the last point of failure for a steering symptom like yours..
i think he's saying it's the rack, but he doesn't want to pony up for the rack that was paired with the VGRS rigs

It seems they're the same—VGRS gear is outside the rack itself. I don't have firsthand experience with this (went aftermarket, and yes it was a mistake).

There are a couple other threads discussing the toyota vs LX rack question and the current consensus is that toyota work fine on LX. The only difference as I recall was ratio on one was 18 vs ratio on the other was 19. There were a few that had confirmed toyota rack on LX was no problem for them. As stated above, VGRS is separate from rack.

The factory calls for the VGRS. That's the only difference. Installation should be the same. Don't know if it will throw any codes. The LX has a VGRS warning light.

I went to a independent toyota repair shop and they laughed at me about using older racks on a vgrs system. Claimed it was unsafe to have the warning light on. Secondly, I talk to Berge's toyota and they were great, but really emphasized the need for a vgrs rack instead.
WTF, appreciate some feedback from those that have experienced this expensive repair.

Vgrs is one of my favorite features, so I'd never try to get rid of it. Parking lots with a non-vgrs rack are laborious one your used to vgrs.

To your question: there are significant differences in mounting between racks on the 100. I don't think the early year rack will be compatible at all.
I agree. I’m not saying VGRS was a selling point for me because I would’ve got my truck without it regardless but it was very surprising how nice of a feature it is. I’ve driven plenty of other trucks, Raptors, all the big HD trucks and they all feel like school buses in comparison.

I have a 05 lx 470 133k miles and recently done my steering rack with a Toyota rack. It was leaking. I’ve read the turning ratio is different but I can’t even tell.
Things I noticed:
-No codes
-Steering is tighter and Requires just a touch more effort.

The rack was around 7 shipped. The Lexus rack was 11-1200 shipped.

B5C7803E-3EE8-46BE-93EF-82ED4CEBE746.jpeg

Is there no such thing as a OE rack rebuild kit?.

I think @MongooseGA put a Toyota rack in his LX a few months ago - post #138

I think @MongooseGA put a Toyota rack in his LX a few months ago - post #138

Can confirm. I used the Toyota part #, not Lexus. Since my original rack was pretty well toasted by the time of replacement, I can't really accout for any difference in steering feel between the two. Since my tires kind of prevent me from throwing the wheels all the way to lock all the time, I can't account for the ratio change. I can say the rack works perfectly and required no special parts vs what the Lexus part would have. The VGRS system isn't actually a part of the steering rack so as long as the unit you're looking at is correct for the model year, it will work in a Lexus and VGRS will still be functional.

Basically, there's literally NO reason I can think of to order the pricier Lexus part than the Toyota part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom