Dobinson 2 inch suspension review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
Prior to purchase I didn’t find much written up about Dobinson suspensions for the FJ60. I thought to offer this post for those that may follow.

On recommendation of Orangefj45 of Valley Hybrids, I ordered a complete Dobinson Suspension kit (See attached invoice). I found ordering to be pretty simple via emails with David at the Florida based Dobinson sales office. The suspension parts were palletized and I had them shipped directly to a local spring and chassis shop for installation. I’m handy, but I’ve done suspension installs before and was eager for a fast and bloodless knuckle moment paying someone else to do it. The suspension shop really liked the kit, said it was one of the better units they’ve seen before on a light truck. They reported that everything was in order, and the instructions were excellent.

My first impressions are good. I was replacing the stock suspension system on a 1987 FJ60. I’m running BFG 33x10.5 tires on stock rims. The prior suspension was even, but the leafs had lost considerable arch and the vehicle looked a little tired. There was no cruiser lean at all. This is a medium kit, but it’s pretty even all the way around. I was worried about a stinkbug stance, meaning the rear is higher than the front, but none of that is really evident in the pictures below.

One distraction concerns the caster correction after alignment. I am -.2° on the left and -.3 on the right side, which is about half a degree under factory specifications. I do have positive turn response, and have had the vehicle up to 50 or 55 mph so far with no noticeable sway. I will say given that this kit was made for the FJ60 I’m a little irritated that set of 1° caster shims are not included. My local shops said to drive it for a few weeks and bring it back so they can look over the whole set up. There may be some settling, and I should know more by then. I’m going to keep an eye on this and will report back other problems should they arise.

Unless There is something weird to report, I’ll double back on this post in the late spring when I have a little more to report. Maybe by then Mr. Dobinson will read this post and send me a T-shirt as well. ;)

Attaching the original sales invoice with part numbers, pricing, before and after pictures with my German Shorthair Pointer as a reference, and a few close up shots.

Enjoy

0681B96C-EB5F-4B4F-8FAF-242D312CA5F9.jpeg

A5596EE4-3701-4340-B594-F7D63CF8C284.jpeg

89309B7F-0E74-4C2A-ACCB-031E9563FCF7.jpeg

07F9335A-E394-44FB-8997-2CA699C96294.jpeg

7FD956AA-90AF-46BD-B733-4BCFD9ABC87E.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the protected zerks!
They are nice, I have Ironman shackels (look exactly the same) on my 60 problem I suspect is they will pack with mud.

@vtcruiser60 I have the shocks they offer, I do not have the springs as I picked up a set of Ironman med/heavy from Marks off road. But the Shocks, and steering dampener (and my rear bumper) are Dobinson.

I like the shocks, I find they ride smooth and do their job. I have the Med in the rear to counter the heavy springs I have. After talking to Mike down at Dobinson in Florida, he said based on what I am planning to do this would be a better combo. I have to agree with him

I will say their customer service is top notch and they answer any questions you have quickly and professionally. they are not just out to sell their product.

Thanks for posting, and for the great write-up, and for posting the invoice. Looks good!!

Beautiful dog! We have a chocolate lab/GSP mix. Ridiculously strong and athletic dog!

That dog is hilarious! Never breaks concentration!

Great to hear about another good suspension option! And those shackles are beefy!

Also, I dont think the 1* caster shim would make a difference in feel at all.

This is a medium kit, but it’s pretty even all the way around. I was worried about a stinkbug stance, meaning the rear is higher than the front, but none of that is really evident in the pictures below.

Yes this looks much more level than most of the OME setups I have seen. I am not a fan of the Stinkbug look at all so this kit looks like a nice alternative to OME. Looks great and thanks for sharing.

Like it. They (Dobinson) were very uncommon when I put my OME on couple years ago. Looks good. If you don't have wheel wobble at 50-55 you may not need to mess with the Caster.

Great color and look for the 60. You should post one of the pics in the 60s and Dogs thread.

Thx for trying different product and sharing.

What are your post lift measurements, if you don’t mind me asking? Hub to fender, front and rear...

Looks awesome!

We've not had any problems with the unit and I would recommend it to others.

We drove the 60 for about another 2 months last fall, and just got it out again this month. My concerns about the caster correction remain, but I've gotten used to the slight wandering while at speed. I think it just takes some getting used to. Everything is tight, no weird sounds or looseness. The ride is actually quite good. Where the original and tired suspension would really bounce over bumps, this new lift absorbs much better. I mean it should, it is new.

I haven't taken any measurements. I could and probably will post them after doing so. I will plan to get the truck back to the suspension shop for another inspection in the next month or so, just to make sure everything is in order.

Any updates on your set up? Looking to go this route.

Looking at your caster, I think she'd drive a lot better with some 3 degree shims in it...

Looking at your caster, I think she'd drive a lot better with some 3 degree shims in it...

Thanks. Tell me more. I couldn’t find much about adding shims with a new suspension install. Why 3 degrees, not 2 or 5? Not even sure where to look for shims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom