Dmaddox's 1978 FJ40 Rustic Green Refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you will have to email me those pics so i can keep them with the others I sent you so I can keep a history on it.
Guess I should and you should change our avitar pics

:) For sure!!! Thanks Ben :)

Here is more action on the cruiser.

What I have done:

1. Welded some cracks in the floor under the drivers seat.

2. Set timing (still need to lean out the carb a bit with the lean/drop method).

3. Starter is starting to poop out on me - so I purchased a new one (luckily they come WITH the solenoid).

4. Replaced radiator hoses (felt a tad spongy for me).

5. In getting the cruiser under the spot light - I decided at this point not to do a full disassemble and restore. I'd like to enjoy her a bit before that process starts.

In doing so - here I pulled her into the shop to start investigation:

photo-2.jpg

I noticed quite a bit of rust starting under the window rubber on the hard top - so I plucked out the window to have a look-see. Sure enough - it's a good thing I am catching it now:

photo4-1.jpg

I am just working my way around the cruiser - looking for all spots of cancer I can spot to fix and re-paint. It's not as bad as I anticipated - but you can never be too careful.

It's almost like the dentist.....have to take care of your teeth constantly or you'll lose your teeth!

Removing the tire-carrier next:

photo2-1.jpg

Quite a bit under there - and it has even eaten through in a few areas:

photo3-1.jpg

more photo's soon as I begin this "clean and polish" project on the cruiser.

All the best,

Dallas

km2's

What do you think of the km2's so far ? Are they nice on the street, cause they sure look nice. Waiting on my tax return to buy some new meats for my 40 and think th km2 is best option.
Thanks and what a sweet find.

I can't speak for other sizes of the KM2 - but in the one short trail ride (snow/loose gravel) and pavement driving (about 70miles so far) I love them. They have the tall skinny brake-steer problem as well as wanting to give quite a bit around corners, but hey....they are MT's.
A good tire all around - but a tad on the tall/skinny side. 32.5x10.50 would be spot on, he he he.

Anyhow - back to the shop.......rust investigation continues.

I am in the process of seeking out all rust I can on the cruiser.

For those with a few "bubbles" like I originally had....check out what a few bubbles REALLY yields.

rustfix7.jpg

rustfix6.jpg

rustfix5.jpg

rustfix4.jpg

rustfix3.jpg

the investigation continues......

More rust assassination today....

I gotta find it all! Cleaning and delving into more of the common areas - I decided to remove the top and dig into the channel....what a mess! Me VS. Rust

Who will win?

Welding patches! My buddy Clarence hard at it:

rustfix2.jpg

top off:

mustfix2.jpg

Look what was hiding underneath!

mustfix5.jpg

and left side:

mustfix6.jpg

Man...everytime I get back up - Rust nails me in the face again....

...the fight continues!

Also, this is not "bondo" I am using a product by EverCoat's "METALWORKS" called "Metal Glaze" it has a superior bond to "bondo" and lasts longer. It's also smoother and easier to mix and apply....I.e. you can't slop it on - it's too runny. It is pricey, but worth it.

mustfix4.jpg

mustfix3.jpg

have a good night,

dallas

Dude....thats not RUST!!!

Rust is when you look in the back of the truck and you can dribble a basketball in the bed of the truck without touching the sheetmetal :)

Sweet lookin rig by the way!!!!

Looks like it'll be a sweet buildup!

That is without a doubt the best body filler around....smooths out nice and easy too. Are you going to stick with the single-stage paint on it for the meanwhile?

I just looked today and saw that CruiseMoab is full for reservations....kinda bummed about that - was going to be my first CM too. Hope you got your ticket in time!

Last edited:
Uh well....er.....um....nope

Can't we just stay at another location and still be part of CM? I figured they're reservations because of the lack of camping spots - but maybe I'm wrong.

Uh well....er.....um....nope

Can't we just stay at another location and still be part of CM? I figured they're reservations because of the lack of camping spots - but maybe I'm wrong.

From Here:

Cruise Moab 2010 registration is now CLOSED - Rising Sun Member Forums

Cruise Moab 2010 registration is now CLOSED.

If you would like to be put on the waiting list, please send an email to registration@cruisemoab.com.

I asked if you got on the waiting list because I have to cancel my registration

all metal work done, metal glaze sanded, etching primer blocked and yet another coat of primer to block. After this blocking will spray on sealer and then base!

I am also doing a set of doors, and replacing the front fender as you can see it's missing in the picture.

featherfill.jpg

featherfill1.jpg

just an update....

Dude its looking good......Hope its ready for next weekend. Clarence is the man!!!! TO BAD YOUR LEAVING.... GOSH.

The Pacific Northwest is the most beautiful region of the country, plus you can wear socks and sandals or shorts and a winter coat and not look out of place. Oh yeah, and great beer!

Dallas,
Any more pics of my old fj? I am starting to miss it.

The tire/wheel combo looks perfect! What lift do you have?

Hey Dallas,
I met you on the August Wasatch Cruisers run.

Nice write up.

cheers,
Karl (from Canada)
DSCF0229.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom