DIY Land Cruiser Projector Retrofit (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Few questions as I'm getting ready to do the retrofit...
1. Could I just use a 1.5" step drill bit to make the low beam opening big enough to install the MICRO D2S projectors?
2. What's the need for a Dremel? Is it to sand down the surface flat, so that the nut sits flush on the back?
3. What do I set the oven to and for how long, to reseal the headlight after the retrofit?

TIA!

So, I installed the Morimoto 2 stroke in the high beam location to test the DRL function but noticed the brightness is same in DRL mode and high beam mode. What am I missing here? Isn't 2 stroke supposed to operate at low voltage (DRL) and full voltage?
I'm not aware of any LED that has the ability to dim in this type of application. I used the Osram bright halogen and it s works great in both DRL and Hi-beam

Reactions: LCT
Few questions as I'm getting ready to do the retrofit...
1. Could I just use a 1.5" step drill bit to make the low beam opening big enough to install the MICRO D2S projectors?
2. What's the need for a Dremel? Is it to sand down the surface flat, so that the nut sits flush on the back?
3. What do I set the oven to and for how long, to reseal the headlight after the retrofit?

TIA!
Here is a good video on baking the lights,
1. you will need a dremel to make the opening large enough, a 1.5" step bit make not be enough

So, I installed the Morimoto 2 stroke in the high beam location to test the DRL function but noticed the brightness is same in DRL mode and high beam mode. What am I missing here? Isn't 2 stroke supposed to operate at low voltage (DRL) and full voltage?
you really need to read the whole LED as daytime running light thread.

if you bought the 2 stoke without the 6.8 ohm resistor and without a harness from lou.. well, you need those. IDK if it was you who bought all that separately and planned on wiring it in. I can't remember. Someone was doing that last week.

Wired series the high beams as daytime running lights will get 9 something volts. That is what that harness does, swap series to parallel on the circuit and drop some voltage with the resistor on the switched ground. PM me for additional info if needed.

Last edited:

It would be great if you could include a snippet of the light output from these new projectors too.

Here's my follow up video with tips and thoughts on this modification along with a comparison of the HID headlights on my 100 versus a Tesla Model 3 and a LX570. Hope it provides some insight. Also, yes I still need to fine tune the alignment of my headlights.

ok, finally had some time to put a video together of the micro D2S 5.0 install in my depo glass housings. Light output...is amazing compared to the HIR bulb modification I had previously. I actually don't mind driving at night anymore. I would say the only other vehicle driving on the road that has "better" lighting than this is a Tesla Model 3.

I'll probably be putting together a follow up video with some tips and tricks and maybe just thoughts on overall effort vs impact.

Nm, I figured it out.

Last edited:
Did this mod finally, the lighting is 500% better than my stock ever was, and looking back, those factory lights were pretty dangerous for the roads I drive on/time I drive.

Last edited:
Some pics.

PXL_20221103_231334295.jpg

PXL_20221103_231320954.jpg

PXL_20221103_231359343.jpg

Here's my follow up video with tips and thoughts on this modification along with a comparison of the HID headlights on my 100 versus a Tesla Model 3 and a LX570. Hope it provides some insight. Also, yes I still need to fine tune the alignment of my headlights.

Sorry if its posted previously in here but I watched your video and was wondering if you had a parts list for the items purchased for your project. Im planning on tackling this but will be my first retro fit. Yours turned out great btw!

NM! Saw it on the previous page, thank you!

Last edited:
I didn't see this answered and have a similar question. Are you guys still running the parking lamp bulbs with Depo's? Do they not interfere (or get completely blocked) with the shrouds?

I'm about to do a D2S retrofit on a set of clear 1 piece Depos for my 05 TLC. The top outlet is for the low beam bulb but what is this bottom outlet in the low beam housing for? Is this outlet used at all in the retrofit or is it covered up by the shroud and needs to be sealed from the back? Thanks!View attachment 2523701

I didn't see this answered and have a similar question. Are you guys still running the parking lamp bulbs with Depo's? Do they not interfere (or get completely blocked) with the shrouds?
I am not running parking lights in that location. It is pretty well covered up by the Iris shroud I chose for my Depo retrofit with D2S projectors.

Hey @robgv where were you able to get your glass depo headlights? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Last edited:
I just did mine the other day, is there a way to run the highbeam bi xenon without disabling DRLs? If i wanted Bi Xenon then i have to disable DRL or else it'll activate the solenoid for the highbeam and potentially burning it out or something.
Was this ever answered as I didn't see anyone mention it? Those of you who have the bi-xenon lows, is the solenoid simply on all the time due to DRLs being on? Any issues?

Also anyone with a quad projector setup, how is everything wired? Do you simply have all 4 projectors on all the time and solenoids on all 4 flip when you want High on?

Was this ever answered as I didn't see anyone mention it? Those of you who have the bi-xenon lows, is the solenoid simply on all the time due to DRLs being on? Any issues?

Also anyone with a quad projector setup, how is everything wired? Do you simply have all 4 projectors on all the time and solenoids on all 4 flip when you want High on?

I can answer this now, the DRL only draws 5V so it’s not enough to flip the reflector to high beam.

I never looked into other people doing the retrofit for me... so what's the going rate for labor with the few companies doing this?

Question for the retrofitter audience - I'm about to retro a 2006 housing, and I want to paint the bezels and shrouds black. Can anyone suggest/recommend the correct paint for this? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but don't want to spray something that ends up chipping or failing after I seal everything back up, that would be a major bummer. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom