DIY Homemade Carbon Fiber Snorkel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the nice comments!

I'm sure a larger housing would allow more air but I was limited by the 3" snorkel base diameter and it gets bigger from there. So I don't really know if it would gain much since it is constricted down through that upper tube.

Enjoy!

Don

this is veeeeeeeeeeeeery smart ! maaybe i could make fender flares like this !!

very nicely done.. wow !

This is amazing. The only downside is that your mold is gone and you can't make one for me ;)

Gordz,

That's a great idea! I've been wanting some flares for mine. Build some so I can see how they come out!

Zhenya,

Yes, that is one of the downsides that it is a one time deal.

Enjoy!

Don

Hey what kind of foam did you use and where did you get it?

Nutsert sizes? Any other minor things you discovered that would come in handy for anyone else making one?

AMAZING write up, super impressed with the creativity!

x2 Great job ... how much was all the carbon fiber? where did you get it...i dont quite see that mentioned...

I wonder how many canadian thought the same thing i did when i 1st saw this picture..... Hockey Stick? :D ... i do understand what it is really however LOL

again nice job
backingplate2.jpg

Spook,

I just used the insulation foam for walls that you find at Home Depot. It comes in different thicknesses and has blue lettering on the outside. I forgot to mention that I peeled the thin sheeting off when I got the foam so that the foam would melt completely when it came time.

The nutserts are 1/4-20 thread and come 4 in an orange bag at Home Depot.
They have 4 little teeth that are meant to bite into wood or something, but I took a pair of pliers and broke those off so they would sit flush on the carbon plate.
One other thing. I used 3M spray adhesive, the 77 stuff, to hold the foam all together. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't use that stuff. When I melted the foam away, that stuff turned to snot and was a pain to get out of the inside when it melted. I would maybe use superglue or something else that wouldn't turn to goo with the acetone.

JohnnyC,

I get my carbon fiber off of Ebay. To buy it from a retailer online is very expensive. I bought a remnant roll of it off ebay for $60 and had enough to build a couple of other projects before I did this one. Ebay is a great place to get this stuff at pennies on the dollar.

Thanks,

Don

Nice work.

The price of the safari snorkels and others i allways thought was ridiculous for a few kilos of plastic,i see there coming out of china now,price adjustments sure to come.

Thanks Guys! I think the Safari snorkels are good quality, I just couldn't justify $350 for a piece of plastic! I have too many other cool things that I want to do to my cruiser and unfortunately they all cost money.

Thanks for the nice comments,

Don

Very very cool. So many applications for other projects too.. I wonder ho much pressure carbon fibre could hold for intercooler piping....?

It looks just fantastic!

arnott1t,

Carbon fiber is a lot stronger than fiberglass and lighter. I'm sure that it would be plenty strong enough for intercooler piping. That is a great idea, as it would reduce some friction loss of the joints being one piece molded and such.

Thanks,

Don

Such a cool build, Im really thinking about trying this on my 80, though fibber glass might be a bit cheaper than carbon fibber north of the border.

Why is it you didn't leave the carbon showing on it and painted it up? Too bling?

Cody,

Well, the truth is that my skills just weren't good enough to leave it showing. There were so many imperfections in the surface that I had to give it a skim coat of bondo to smooth it out and make it look nice.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom