DIY: Controlling DRLs with LX Mirror Fold switch, PLUS dash indicator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shapeways.com
I recently got a LX power mirror switch and I wired up the mirror-fold button to control my DRLs similar to the TLC FAQ.
For feedback, I also wired an unused instrument cluster light to indicate when the DRLs are off.

Disabling the DRLs is mainly for off-highway use like pulling in/out of camps without blinding folks, and I wanted an obvious indicator when they're disabled.

First, here's the LX mirror switch. I scraped off the graphics from the mirror fold button with a razor blade.

Mirror switch.jpg

In my '98 LC there are only four unused indicator lights in the cluster: Front Diff Lock (which I'll hopefully use later!), Air Filter, Rear Spare, and Diesel Fuel Separator. I chose to use the Filter light to indicate disabled DRLs (below right).

After pulling the cluster I saw there was no Filter bulb so I moved my Seatbelt bulb there (we habitually wear our seatbelts). I then traced the Filter bulb wiring and found the connector pin that activates it when grounded (see below). I also found I had to remove diode 'D206' to prevent the Filter light from illuminating momentarily when first turning on the ignition.

I then found the corresponding pin on the dash connector (red dots below). Sure enough there was an unused pin in the connector housing so I added a wire to that pin. First step is to remove the connector from the dash housing by releasing the two clips in the orange circles (below center).

Next, separate the white and grey halves of the connector by releasing the two plastic clips on the wire side (below left). The two halves just pull apart (below center) and you can then slide out the unused pin (below right). The other pins will remain captured in the connector housing.

Last edited:
After you pull out the unused pin (1), solder a wire to it long enough to run to the Mirror Fold switch (2). Then slide the pin back into the housing (3), reassemble the connector halves (4), and snap the connector back into the dash housing (5).

Dash connector 3.jpg

Below shows the LX Mirror Fold switch operation (top) and new wiring (below).

DRL switch wiring.jpg

My '98 LC already had the harness connectors present for the Mirror Fold switch (below left). The DRL relay is under the dash above the brake pedal. Unplug its connector (below center), cut the wire from Pin 13 (ground) a couple inches from the connector, and attach a wire long enough to reach the Mirror Fold switch (my extension wire is blue in the below right pic). Next complete the wiring at the connector according to the diagram above. All done it should look like the below right pic.

Connectors.jpg

That's it. Now when you push in the Mirror Fold switch it grounds the DRL relay and the DRLs operate as normal. When you release the Mirror Fold switch the DRL relay is disconnected, the DRLs turn off, and the Filter light illuminates. BTW, the high/low beams still work correctly when the DRL relay is disconnected.

Next step is to add a "DRL" marking to the Fold switch. I plan to use dry transfer letters with a top clear coat for protection. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Nice little mod and great write-up!

You've also added, maybe unknowingly, illumination to your mirror control (by using the LX switch).

image-jpg.1045037

So the LX switch will work in a LC and it is illuminated?

Nice little mod and great write-up!
You've also added, maybe unknowingly, illumination to your mirror control (by using the LX switch).
Thanks! The illumination is one of the main reasons I picked the up the part. It's the little things... 💡
So the LX switch will work in a LC and it is illuminated?
Yup, it plugs right in to the LC harness (at least on my '98). I pulled the switch from a wrecked LX470 that was local to me.

Cool mod! Don't most of your dash warning lights illuminate temporarily when the ignition is switched on? Why did you want to remove the diode to prevent this one from illuminating?

How does the illuminated switch look at night now? I understand you scraped the graphic off, but isn't the outline of the mirror still visible when illuminated?

Cool mod! Don't most of your dash warning lights illuminate temporarily when the ignition is switched on? Why did you want to remove the diode to prevent this one from illuminating?
Thanks! I disabled the Filter light at startup just for preference, the diode could be left in place if you prefer. I can easily test the light by operating the new switch (which I've found myself doing often since the weekend...)

Some dash lights illuminate when you first turn the key, some don't. I.e. the CDL light is controlled directly from the switch on the t-case, so that's not going to show up. The RDL light, however, is controlled by the RDL ECU so it does illuminate at start up.

Here's my dash on start up (note: I've removed my Seatbelt light):

IMG_4486.JPG

And with the DRL switch OFF:

IMG_4487.JPG

FYI, here's the order of lights on my '98 dash, including opaque 'blank' spaces, from left to right:

BAT - Low Fuel - ABS - [blank] - Seatbelt - [blank] - Diesel Fuel Separator - Rear Spare - CEL - A/T Oil Temp - A/T P - Cruise - [blank] - CDL - RDL - FDL - Air Filter - Airbag - [blank] - Door Open - [blank] - Brake

How does the illuminated switch look at night now? I understand you scraped the graphic off, but isn't the outline of the mirror still visible when illuminated?

The Mirror Fold button is solid plastic and not back lit. Only the four direction arrows are illuminated on the Mirror 'joystick', Hoser posted a pic a few posts up that shows how it looks.

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic but seems like there is a lot of mirror-related knowledge in this thread. I have a weird Puerto Rico Spec 2006 LC, no AHC, no NAV. One of the things that bugs me is that the passenger mirror does not automatically tilt down when the car is in reverse. Does anyone know if this is a function of the switch? any thoughts on how I could enable that feature?

Slightly off-topic but seems like there is a lot of mirror-related knowledge in this thread. I have a weird Puerto Rico Spec 2006 LC, no AHC, no NAV. One of the things that bugs me is that the passenger mirror does not automatically tilt down when the car is in reverse. Does anyone know if this is a function of the switch? any thoughts on how I could enable that feature?
Perhaps it has to do with the position of the L-R selector switch on the joystick? I once had a BMW with the auto-tilt feature, but you could disable it by moving the L-R switch to one side. Try that...

The Mirror Fold button is solid plastic and not back lit. Only the four direction arrows are illuminated on the Mirror 'joystick', Hoser posted a pic a few posts up that shows how it looks.

Gotcha. When I first read about the illumination benefits of the LX switch I assumed it meant that the fold button was the one being illuminated. Looking at the illuminated pic now it makes perfect sense.

Hi Ayune-sorry to change the subject here, but I thought you would know the answer while you were in this very cool project. I have a 99 with factory rear locker. I see a front locker indicator next to my factory rear locker light on instrument panel. It looks like there is a black bulb housing already inserted but possibly with no bulb. Is that the same for your 98?

The reason I ask is I am planning on adding a front e-locker soon. I plan to control the front e-locker but installing an 80 series switch. Sure would like to illuminate that front locker on my instrument cluster (just like the 3x locked 80 series).

Would like to buy a bulb like in the pic below to wire up to my 80 Series switch.

BE84B52C-7A48-4517-BE82-E14B435C2581.jpeg

96B1116A-5F92-4AFA-8733-DE39D7AFE45B.jpeg

8B3D2CA5-9D82-41D2-A067-2126605DCCAF.jpeg

Hi Ayune-sorry to change the subject here, but I thought you would know the answer while you were in this very cool project. I have a 99 with factory rear locker. I see a front locker indicator next to my factory rear locker light on instrument panel. It looks like there is a black bulb housing already inserted but possibly with no bulb. Is that the same for your 98?

The reason I ask is I am planning on adding a front e-locker soon. I plan to control the front e-locker but installing an 80 series switch. Sure would like to illuminate that front locker on my instrument cluster (just like the 3x locked 80 series).

Would like to buy a bulb like in the pic below to wire up to my 80 Series switch.

View attachment 1927456

View attachment 1927457
That's exactly my plan when I have the $$$! Take a look at this thread and you'll see which pin controls the FDL light. After looking at my above pics that dash connector pin is also present, but not wired up, so my procedure is the same for tapping into it.

My cluster lights looks the same, all three locker bulbs are installed. There's likely a bulb in the FDL holder, it may just need to be grounded to light up.

Here's a post that shows the electrical function of the 80-Series locker switch: Add Front Diff Lock, Use 80 Series Locker switch??. If you're grounding a relay to activate the e-locker, just connect the bulb to that same control wire.

That's exactly my plan when I have the $$$! Take a look at this thread and you'll see which pin controls the FDL light. After looking at my above pics that dash connector pin is also present, but not wired up, so my procedure is the same for tapping into it.

My cluster lights looks the same, all three locker bulbs are installed. There's likely a bulb in the FDL holder, it may just need to be grounded to light up.

Here's a post that shows the electrical function of the 80-Series locker switch: Add Front Diff Lock, Use 80 Series Locker switch??. If you're grounding a relay to activate the e-locker, just connect the bulb to that same control wire.
Thanks so much Jim. You are a true electrical Jedi. I knew you would be the one who could point me in the right direction.

I bought the Harrop Front E-Locker and set up an 80 Series Switch. I think the easiest route for me is to purchase a T5 twist socket light with pigtails for instrument my cluster. Will run one wire to ground and the power wire to my 80 Series switch.

529BD006-10AC-48B2-A651-DE0CE90A434C.jpeg

473F92AD-A279-45DE-9214-A60F5267039C.jpeg

Thanks so much Jim. You are a true electrical Jedi. I knew you would be the one who could point me in the right direction.

I bought the Harrop Front E-Locker and set up an 80 Series Switch. I think the easiest route for me is to purchase a T5 twist socket light with pigtails for instrument my cluster. Will run one wire to ground and the power wire to my 80 Series switch.

View attachment 1927889

View attachment 1927890
That’s going to be a sweet setup. Are you sure the FDL bulb isn’t already installed? The empty socket circled in your pic is for the Filter bulb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom