DIY - 200 Series Chrome Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to take a moment to share my experience and pass on to others that you can totally do your own chrome delete and get professional quality results. I have never done any automotive painting other than the typical paint touch up pens. I will provide a breakdown of supplies to the best of my memory as well as the resources I relied on for painting confidence, part removal, etc.

Super important tips before proceeding with any of this work (learn from my 2 major mistakes)
  • DO NOT use the solvent-based wax and grease remover on a part after any adhesion promoter, primer, or base coat has been sprayed onto it...you will have to start over
  • DO NOT use aircraft remover on any of the ABS plastic, and quite frankly on any of the components for this process. Let's just say I made a $700 mistake and had to purchase a new Grille.
  • Be extremely careful removing the window molding to paint, the chrome will crease and look like crap (I ordered new one's for the rear of each side because they got mangled.)
    • P/N: 75740600801 Door Belt Molding (Left, Rear)
    • P/N: 75730600801 Door Belt Molding (Right, Rear)

Master Amazon Shopping List: Check out my list on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/36SWYEOGTFRNN?ref_=wl_share

Painting Supplies (Price does not include taxes, etc):

Learning Resources:

IMG_1910.jpeg
IMG_1881.jpeg
IMG_1879.jpeg
IMG_1860.jpeg
IMG_1868.jpeg

Very nice and thanks for the write up and vids!!!

I am compelled to diy but i suck at painting, this makes me more likely to try someday when i have the time to carefully rip things apart.

Looking great, good job!

One difference for me is i believe my door card and mirror has to go to get to the two screws holding in window mold up front at either end from the inside.

Thanks for the thorough write up!

When you say don’t use “aircraft” remover.. what are you referring to?

Thanks for the thorough write up!

When you say don’t use “aircraft” remover.. what are you referring to?
Here is a link to the product: https://a.co/d/3c6AW6Q ; there are many different brands but ultimately the products are used to eat away paint, but I missed the part where it is not for use on plastic. It quite literally melted the ABS plastic on the grille

Here is a link to the product: https://a.co/d/3c6AW6Q ; there are many different brands but ultimately the products are used to eat away paint, but I missed the part where it is not for use on plastic. It quite literally melted the ABS plastic on the grille

Everyday i wish i had a media blaster cabinet...

Great job and good choice on not using plastidip. This will look great for decades.

Great job and good choice on not using plastidip. This will look great for decades.
I don't get this comment.

Plastidip and Hyperdip work fine for their intended purpose, which is not, and never has been as a permanent color change solution.

I personally found Hyperdip great for a way to test a color (anthracite) that I wasn't ready to permanently commit to.

And it wasn't because I can't paint or wasn't willing to pay a professional. It was a great temporary solution to hide chrome and test a color change out before making a permanent change.

Thank you, I also just ordered ALOT of Xpel PPF to do a bulk install, while having plenty to make mistakes along the way
1678990271740.png

The 48" x 72" piece is so that I can do the hood in one big piece, the 20' x 48" is for everything else 72" wide is much more expensive so I just ordered enough for the hood of that width. I believe what @Eric Sarjeant says in all of his chrome delete videos that no matter how good of a job you do painting it, it will never be as strong as factory paint on metal. I already have so many rock chips in the front of the hood that I need to repair before placing PPF.

Great info! Thanks and bookmarked, this will be my first order of business when i pick up a 200

Curious, what year LC and LXs have the holes in the doors for the trim and which ones only use adhesive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom