Dissent offroad modular front bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If any of you are curious about crash safety, this bumper passes the test imo.

I fell asleep this morning on the way home from work and hit a tree. I have no clue how fast I was going but it was most likely under the posted speed limit of 45. The bumper did just what a bumper should do: it crushed taking most of the force of the impact.

IMG_7515.JPG
IMG_7517.JPG

image.jpg

IMG_7518.JPG

It's still up in the air if my insurance is going to repair or total the LX. I'm not too optimistic about a repair, as they're sending it to copart (insurance auction company) instead of a body shop.

The important part is I'm fine and no one else got hurt either.

:censor:

@ihadmail - first off, damn... that sucks and I am (we are) really glad you're okay. There are other 100s, and Ben can make you another bumper.

On to the crash test part... There are very few tests that include the 100 - apparently the low production numbers have something to d o with that. The tests I've read, show that it does really well. But, the one place it's not as good as we'd hope (I think a 4-Star, where a 5 would be ideal) was the offset front impact. The front wheel pushes into the footwell. I joked with my wife before getting a Dissent Offroad bumper that "Honey, it's for our safety... no, really... ) But in theory, a strong bumper would better distribute the load... and make the offset front impact less dangerous.

Hard to tell how much ^that^ happened with your 100 vs. tree... but at least it didn't disprove the theory - it looks like the truck held up damn well.

Again, sorry this happened to you... looking forward to you build thread ;)

Last edited:
I have to honestly say that this put to rest my concerns with the bumper wings holding up under a crash scenario. Great job Ben.

The impact happened pretty much centered on where the passenger wing meets the center section. It twisted the whole assembly enough to shear the steel where the center mounts to the frame. The winch mounts are broken from the winch body.

Hands down I would put one of these on my truck again.

Sadly I may not have another build. Two kids and another on the way won't leave me much extra left over after buying another vehicle for build parts.

Very unfortunate, glad you are okay. Another topic that often comes up with front bumpers, is airbags. Did they deploy? If so, which ones exactly?

The impact happened pretty much centered on where the passenger wing meets the center section. It twisted the whole assembly enough to shear the steel where the center mounts to the frame. The winch mounts are broken from the winch body.

Hands down I would put one of these on my truck again.

Sadly I may not have another build. Two kids and another on the way won't leave me much extra left over after buying another vehicle for build parts.

Did the airbag deploy?

Very unfortunate, glad you are okay. Another topic that often comes up with front bumpers, is airbags. Did they deploy? If so, which ones exactly?

Did the airbag deploy?

The airbags did not deploy.

It is very possible I wasn't going fast enough to activate them. The speed limit was 45, I was approximately 1/2 mile past a curve I had just went around, so I most likely was going quite under the speed limit when I went off of the road.

This is the 2nd accident for this truck. The first a lady pulled out in front of me with the OEM bumper. I was able to slow to around 30mph before broadsiding her front fender. My air bags did not deploy then either.

45 is still pretty fast. Good to hear bumper worked as intended. Also, and more importantly glad to hear you are w/o injury.

ihadmail - i hate to ask, but would you sell whatever winch is behind that?

Insurance bought the winch. It was a Smittybilt x2o. The frame of the winch was shattered and the drum crushed.

If you decide to buy one of these be prepared to fabricate a custom mount for the solenoid control box.

According to Ben in post # 180, 181, and 182 of this thread, the 12K model of x2o fits with no modifications.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

The winch fit with its factory solenoid mounts. The issue I had was the control wire plug pointed toward the side. I fabricated a mount to allow it to face forward for easier access, absolutely not a necessity but I felt it made it much more user friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom