Diff Fluid Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just recently got my bearings redone on the hundy and feel that a diff fluid change is a smart next move as I haven't done it in a very long time. What fluid is the best fluid to go back with and does anyone have any suggestions to make this easier? I know its pretty straightforward already but any tips are greatly appreciated.

Don't overthink it. Use this type of bottle, snip the tip, and just stick the tip of the bottle into the fill hole and use the bottle itself and squeeze. No fuss no muss.

IMG_1644.JPG

Definitely use the bottle pump for the front one, the very long hose route is a bit of a pain.
I used 75w90 Royal purple Synthetic gear oil on my diifs and transfer case

Alright thanks guys, is 75 w 90 good for high mileage and heat? 327k miles and in South Georgia

For South Georgia, the ultimate in protection IMO would be a straight 90 oil, as recommended by the manual. Harder to find though. My favorite one is 1605 from Lubrication Engineers. Can be shipped from speedwaymotors.com for under $60/gallon. I also used straight 90 from Motul and Royal Purple.. and excellent Mobil Delvac 75W-90 (can be shipped from Zoro). But I don't have as many miles on mine as you do now. I would not overthink this, but I prefer to follow the mfg spec in this case.
LE also make a couple of greases, that are second to none: 3752 (#2) and 3751 (#1 for the front axle needle bearing and bushing). This company is worth keeping in your sights if you are fanatical about your lube supplies. They run state of art facilities in Ft Worth, Texas, and Wichita, Kansas. If you are not so fanatical, use whatever is easier to procure, but use regularly.
I also prefer Motive fluid fillers after having fun with anything else from coat hangers to bottle pumps.

Just sharing my experience.

Last edited:
So I just recently got my bearings redone on the hundy and feel that a diff fluid change is a smart next move as I haven't done it in a very long time. What fluid is the best fluid to go back with and does anyone have any suggestions to make this easier? I know its pretty straightforward already but any tips are greatly appreciated.

How many miles since last differential fluid change?

Gear lubes.

I use the following schedule:

The Transfer case with bottle pump, 1.4qt, torque 27ft-lbf, every ~20K miles.
The front differential easiest with hose dropped down from engine bay, 1.7qt, torque 36ft-lbf, every ~25K miles.
The rear differential straight from the M1 1qt bottles by dropping spare tire, 3.45qt, torque 36ft-lbf, every 30K miles.
I change all washers (gaskets).

Change interval is based on when I've note M1 75w-90 gear lube color darkening.

Note: City driving 50/50 HWY/City Street.

Front Differential SEALS 060.JPG

Gear lube in this picture is conventional with only ~15k miles use from transfer.
021.JPG

This is synthetic lube (M1) after ~40K miles from read differential. (after three flushes with synthetic)
Differential Rear 9-10-16 (42K use) 01LC 167K.JPG

Looking at this PM job for this weekend.

what sizes are my diff and tcase plugs? I have an ‘06 LX.

I have read both front drain and fill plugs are T55 hex?

what about Tcase and rear diff plugs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom