Diesel FJ40, 1974FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright fellas!
I was on my fall break and started to get some things done! Heres whats been done so far...
I got the tub loose from the frame and jacked up the rear section to get to the bumper(rivets everywhere). Started to drill out all the rivets, decided that it was easier to cut the frame off and drill out the rivets without everything in the way. I need this bumper to add to my recently acquired frame(new frames bumper was a P.O.S.) Fixed some really bad spots on the new frame and on the bumper and connected to the two, which is now ready to blast and put primer on.

New frame, with crappy rear bumper removed.

100_2517.jpg
100_2516.jpg
100_2518.jpg

Last edited:
Heres something i made for my custom exhaust manifold and turbo setup.
I needed a way for the oil drain tube to work with the chopped 6bt manifold, so here what i came up with...

Also, took the leaf spring off the cruiser and separated all the packs for blasting and painting. I was able to use my dads shop cabinet blaster and it did a great job...

100_2519.jpg
100_2520.jpg
100_2523.jpg
100_2525.jpg

Last edited:
Shot some primer on the springs before the final coat. For the final coat im using this stuff called Slip Plate. I got this stuff from Grainger and its a graphite based paint that is great for use on leaf springs to reduce friction and crud buildup....

Leafs with Slip-Plate

100_2535.jpg
100_2536.jpg
100_2538.jpg

Last edited:
The new frame needed alot of work, but was still worth it knowing ive got a straight frame. Heres proof that my Dad is helping out. Got him to weld some with my new Lincoln 180 i got back in March. This Lincoln is so fool proof, that my Dad welds like a pro(he doesnt ever weld). Here he is welding up some modified spring perches.

I was hoping that the shinny spot on his head wouldnt glare this photo...haha

100_2539.jpg
100_2542.jpg

Last edited:
Started work on the rear bumper and decided that i did want the original style ball hitch with mount. I wanted a receiver style where i can remove the assembly when not using. I also welded on some D-Ring anchors and welded shut all the misc. holes. Heres what I came up with....

100_2526.jpg
100_2528.jpg
100_2534.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to buy both a fiberglass cap and a drivers side hard top panel from Ramon(Thanks a MILLION!!). So tomorrow i will be fixin the rusted out sections of this hardtop panel and patching a few spots on the fiberglass cap. Im pretty excited about what I got done over the break. Hope to get some more done this weekend when i have to go home for my sisters engagement party.....booo. Enjoy:

this top I picked up is kinda weird. so i had to cut away all the way down passed the bolt holes so i could add a section from the wrecked panel to make it work with my style rear hatch. I cut out all the bad rusted areas and heres what i came up with...

heres the section from my wrecked top that im gonna use...

ended up getting it all ground down, forgot to take photo, but looks great!

On another note: I took my frame to a local fella to blast it. He did a great job and threw some primer on it for me. I dont have any pics, but plan to get some things done this weekend. Slowly starting to come together. I just bought a Dana300 t-case that im going to use with my HD-NV4500 trans. Also just ordered my clutch and bellhousing. Hopefully ill be firing this thing up soon. The clutch is a South Bend Clutch-Con O with a 13" flywheel from the NV5600. Its sweet! Also, i got a knuckle rebuild kit with new bearings and inner axle seals from orangefj45, so thanks!!update soon i promise!

Last edited:
South Bend clutch eh, sounds like you plan on turning that cummins up! Bet that was spendy. I know lots can happen but what's the ETA for start up?

hey, needed a clutch/flywheel/pressure plate and everything else. the Con-O SBC is $150 more than the completely stock dodge replacement package for the stock 6bt, and everything is included. I figured i could pay that much more for a better quality item( sealed bearings, 13" flywheel, and I wont ever have to worry about exceeding the HP/TRQ ratings on it).
I would love to have it done ASAP! haha, umm maybe first of 2009.

This is a great build and sorry I somehow missed it. My buddy Ken referred me to your thread on 4BT swaps, something about a NV4500 question, I know them pretty well (at least the 4WD versions). Your manifold is just gorgeous, reaffirms my choice to send mine off to a TIG welder too :)

Cheers,
Andre

Duh sorry man putting 2 + 2 together here! No leads on the diff off the top of my head other than car-part.com which is always a good source! '98 Tacoma 4.10 with locking differential gets you the ticket! Cheers!

Got alittle bit of work done this weekend. Had to go my sisters engagement party and my grand dads b-day, so the weekend didn't have much cruiser time involved. I mostly worked on the frame some more. I was able to box the rear in some more and add bracing. I also came close to finishing the hard top panel. Heading home Friday i picked up another set of leaf springs to replace my bent ones. So now i have 4 good spring packs to work with (thanks Spence!) Came home and had my package from Orangefj45 that had my front knuckle rebuild kit and new inner seals. I then took-off to the local junkyard who told me they had my bellhousing for the cummins/nv4500. heres what went down this weekend....

Took some time this weekend away from the frame and body and tried to finish up the engine. I got a large order in from my diesel buddy to finish buttoning this thing up. I changed the thermostat, tore down the oil-cooler and replaced gaskets, fabricated and mounted a new turbo oil drain pipe, mounted the flywheel housing, flywheel, clutch assembly, starter, alternator and new serpentine belt. With a little plumbing shes ready to fire up!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom