Diesel FJ40, 1974FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my steering arms, rear coils and Misc parts back from powdercoat today. They still have my rear links and coil containers. Planning to install much of this over the next week or so. I'll post some pictures soon.

image.jpeg

So I didn't think to ask via text, but why do you have two pairs of shackles there? For the front?

I'm afraid the front TJ coils are way to soft for the hard top. I don't have any shocks on it right now but I need to locate a stiffer coil for when the hard top is on.
You can't see it in these previous photos but the coils are blocked up using a temporary spacer. It had way too much squat in the rear, because of the top.

image.jpeg

Why not a TJ spring with more lift than the ones you've got now?

How did you brace in the frame where you notched for the coil buckets?

The TJ coils on my 40 are very soft. And my 40 is light. But, they are progressive coils. So as you compress them, they stiffen up. There are a multitude of heavier front TJ coils available.

Also, swap your rear brake calipers, you need the bleed screw on the top of the caliper. It won't bleed well at the bottom.

Why not a TJ spring with more lift than the ones you've got now?

I'm planning to do this. I'm also researching other options too.

How did you brace in the frame where you notched for the coil buckets?

i havent done this yet. Im still mocking the springs up right now. ill have some bracing that goes on the inside frame rail to give the rear some support.

There are a multitude of heavier front TJ coils available.

when you say heavier, you mean they have a different spring rate? or different coil lengths?

Also, swap your rear brake calipers, you need the bleed screw on the top of the caliper. It won't bleed well at the bottom.

Thanks, hadn't given it much thought on the rear. i made a point to do this on the front. good catch.

Different spring rate. Heavier gauge wire

What bags did you put in the coils?

They're bumps. I can't remember the manufacturer at the moment, but Summit sells them.

Edit: Prothane coil spring isolators. Different heights available and they're all able to be trimmed for proper heights. https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/prothane-coil-spring-inserts?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=prothane coil&sw=Prothane Coil Spring Insertshttps://www.summitracing.com/search...prothane coil&sw=Prothane Coil Spring Inserts

Last edited:

Mace,
Chris H. put me onto these coil inserts for the TJ coils. this helps as a bump stop and stiffens the spring compression on hard hits. hard to tell in photo but i have about 1-2" gap before the top coil pad hits the insert. rides nice right now.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-19-1705/overview/

They're bumps. I can't remember the manufacturer at the moment, but Summit sells them.

thanks again Chris for your help locating these. link posted above.

Cruiser did great this weekend.
I had a to trouble shoot some wiring on my trans cooler fan but everything else was pretty smooth. Very happy with the performance and drivability . Also got to meet Marshal from upstate cruisers

image.png

Martin's truck is flipping gorgeous. Pictures do not do it justice:

2V6qJGyiz6cPV6eq329hoYmx7mpDRzAhIEp479i0Ph-hV2zyMhRjX2ISxPilVZYl4u__A_CCN-nOrxdJ5f1NMTGZIFYe530_9uI2xUKimAjXQBt9QWIbTaIbolly3KVeWwm7eydvYUlGpI1d-zZAdxXE3Rka1YonzWuywPXNT9VBJyXNfhK37ADXxXHWtUdJ9LUbwYcKU-fv5y0srvvul0TDOZaycXGQvUAUNEhf_UglQwLzpfdL_EiHeVhBIyMZueH29lUlF0PhlcYmiew3dRoC497lNPYxkVpJrCu8WQJ7rkWuCz6oluvJiIcW1oR-JjvQ0IGsQPbw6E6S81xenlRzqGjGzsfnFkeWGGhl-y_CRoAicsKJF6STeO9k82kk50uYuKvU77i95FaRUyY_DkdqT3tZ5iL35418VcCczRtZUg-h84BpRb8qEKVszh6DfqiomKGewlpv6dF3nM_j7vx21SRjDIjCF76HmjIxOqQctSMO-FiNn_og60ToByFmsmt9sFSrTejppmeXZFjNZAKaz6SftRe5cX7i60Ym5SryaQD10VhuOdstYY3W94Bou7aDnq6ajiAq2COIbQl5VCjl1VQl26u4yUb2osi848JGs0OfQw=w1970-h1461-no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom