Builds Dharma Dude's Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to look at the Hefty Fabworks aluminum F and R bumpers more. Looks like I can save 150 pounds over the MetalTech steel ones.

Is this worth the slightly extra cost (about $500) and the 14 week wait?

I understand Hefty Fabworks has a pretty good reputation.

I would really like to see their rear bumper with the swing out. I think the front bumper is very slick with the curves rather than all of the sharp lines of all the other bumpers.

To answer your question, you really only notice the weight on these rigs once you step up to large tires. Or when you are installing the bumper. It would take quite a number of years to make up the gas mileage gains of the weight before you broke even on the $500. I would go with what functionally works best for you, looks good to you and then the weight savings.

Hey Dharma Dude. I'm just a bit ahead of you and have pretty similar aspirations. May take me a bit longer but so far I have done the lift and tires. I went with Iron Man Pro Cell foam's and their springs in the rear from Metal Tech. I decided to go with Icon extended travel coilovers in the front with SPC UCA's. Pulled off the running boards and put Cooper AT3 285/70/17 on the stock rims. They do rub when cranked but I have not tried any spacers yet.

Currently re-gearing to Nitro 4.56 at East Coast Gear Supply. I'm having them build in an ARB locker for the rear.

OPOR sliders are probably next.

@BinSoFar Very cool. In two wees, my truck will go in the shop for everything except bumpers at Mudrak Custom Cruisers in Sonoma CA. That's suspension, armor, sliders, lockers and re-gearing. Bumpers will be later in the summer from Hefty Fabworks.

I'm still struggling with whether I should get 4.56 or 4.10 for my 34s, mostly because I'm worried about losing too much mpgs. But I'm leaning toward 4.56. What make you decide to go with 4.56? Did you also consider 34s?

@BinSoFar Very cool. In two wees, my truck will go in the shop for everything except bumpers at Mudrak Custom Cruisers in Sonoma CA. That's suspension, armor, sliders, lockers and re-gearing. Bumpers will be later in the summer from Hefty Fabworks.

I'm still struggling with whether I should get 4.56 or 4.10 for my 34s, mostly because I'm worried about losing too much mpgs. But I'm leaning toward 4.56. What make you decide to go with 4.56? Did you also consider 34s?

I was leaning toward the 4.10 but decided to go 4.56 for future overland equipment weight and to better accommodate larger tires later if needed. I lost 2 mpg with the lift and tires. Would probably gain it back with 4.10. I avg'd 14mpg on my recent 1000 mile drive to Moab with a roof pod, family of 4, and ~600lbs of gear. Smooth as butter going 85mph. I spoke with a guy who has a GX470 with 33s and he ran into transmission problems which he attributed to not regearing. The stock 3.73 ratio with larger tires puts stress on components. I just trashed my rear ring and pinion giving it a bit too much gas coming out of Elephant Hill in the Canyonlands. The 4.56 gear is a thicker plate and heavier duty overall. I don't want to feel the need to regear again.

I briefly considered 34's but not many success stories without after market wheels and trimming.

@BinSoFar Wow. you did elephant hill with just lift/tires, no re-gearing and lockers. That speaks to the capability of the stock GX.

This thread is a record of my progress.....so I'll linking to another post about what I've been doing on this build:

What Did You Do With Your 120 Today?

Yesterday, I dropped the GX off at Mudrak Custom Cruiser in Sonoma. Gary Kardum, the owner, is a well-known cruiser customizer and builder in Northern California. Anyhow he will be doing my lift (OME), 34x10.5r17 (I'm following @DanKunz here), MetalTech sliders, RCI aluminum skid plates, ARB lockers and re-gearing to 4.56.

Stage 1 of my build done:
OME 3" lift, KO2 315/70R17, TRD Pro Sema wheels. I really like the look!

IMG_20170521_084813-01.jpg

MetalTech Sliders
IMG_20170520_200757-02.jpg

RCI Aluminum Skids
IMG_20170520_200743-01.jpg

ARB F&R Lockers with 4.56 Regear
IMG_20170520_184213-02.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! How much trimming up front?

i've been lurking for quite some time and have always eyeballed your rig. do you have any rub? what about your mpg's with those tires? I'm looking at doing the exact same build. anything you wish you would've changed?

@tuglyfe Yes. My tires do rub on full lock, a bit more if I'm loaded up. I get 15-16 on my tires on long freeway trips. I might have gone with 34x10.5r17 or 285/75r17 but it's not a big deal. My suspension works great, rides great on and off road.

I haven't updated this thread in awhile but here are some more photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wynhkhlnCQXVk5Wg2

Haven't updated this thread on my build for a long time. But last summer I added Heftyfabworks aluminum front and rear bumpers with double swing arms. Warn 10K winch. Here are some pictures from Turf and Surf 2017 at Grover Beach.
IMG_20171110_100749.jpg
IMG_20171110_100730.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom