Details of Topnault FJ40/45 Bodies (TP auto parts.com) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks really good. Would you be able to take a shot like this?
Just curious to see the front profile……thickness between bottom and top. Hard to tell but yours looks a bit taller at the front than OEM

View attachment 3263229
D2332312-DC35-4BE1-93A5-F587CE538188.jpeg
AD4C00E1-F560-4A7B-A59B-EA50A8CCA4E0.jpeg

If you start producing the early stuff it would be cool to see you reproduce the early SWB removal Top FJ45 beds. I realize there are not a lot of originals out there but I bet there would be some demand for replacement and custom builds. My 65 bed is made from 14 gauge steel if that helps.

We talked about that possibility and I will sure bring this back to the team.

If you need to pick up parts during weekend, you can make an appointment with us and one of us can take care of you at the store.

We talked about that possibility and I will sure bring this back to the team.

If you need to pick up parts during weekend, you can make an appointment with us and one of us can take care of you at the store.
Right on!

I believe so. It won't "fit" earlier 45's without some type of modification to the top of windshield frame. I have a fiberglass one from Gozzard and I had to put a couple of rivserts on mine to make it work. Not a big deal.
Could you elaborate on this? I am seriously considering one of these for my 1965 FJ45.

Us fixed top SWB goonies could (have) use(d) a repop'd roof, as most of ours are (were) rusted to near oblivion. Haven't seen too many removeable top ones rusted out but I know there have been (are) a few around. I know, there's only like 12 of us :D.

Could you elaborate on this? I am seriously considering one of these for my 1965 FJ45.
So, if you have a 65 I'm assuming you have the 4 latches on the inside? I also have that on my 65. My top from Gozzard doesn't have have the loops to use the latches. His, much like one we are looking at here, has 2 holes in the front. Here's a link to my 45....it's the last replies on this thread: 1965 FJ45 resto - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1965-fj45-resto.1200061/page-2#post-14405663
What I'd like to do is get one here from Topnault and see if I can weld on some loops like my original steel one that is beat to hell!

If you do end up getting one test fit by installing it with the weather stripping and tightening it down. You'll get a the location you need to drill the 2 front holes.

It would be really nice to know if it can be easily modified for the hooks.

Think this will fit 1/75 and later. The cutout in the center is for 9/77+ windshield washer nozzle.

Would have to check but think the four loops for the latches are welded to a rib running side to side. If that is the case would just have to transfer that to the new cap.

What it comes down to is how close is this top to the old ones with hooks. Only way to find out is to compare them "side by side" to see if things line up. There may or may not be a place to weld in the loops. What I'd like to do is bring my old one to them and put them next to each other and see what mods, if any, can be made to work with our older tops. But, as I said before you can easily put some rivserts in your windshield frame and use it that way. You can't see them unless you peer up under there anyways. That's how they're attached on later model 45's.

Think this will fit 1/75 and later. The cutout in the center is for 9/77+ windshield washer nozzle.

Would have to check but think the four loops for the latches are welded to a rib running side to side. If that is the case would just have to transfer that to the new cap.
The top I have from Gozzard is modeled after the later type tops that don't have the hooks which I would like to guess is what TP has. Being that they are a Canadian company they got the 45's for many years well after we did and Mike said that was his market so that's how he makes them. He actually said if I really wanted he could put some hooks in place. All I had to do was give him measurements off of mine. But, after speaking with him he convinced me that rivserts would work just fine so that's what I went with...it fits great.

That's exactly what I want to find out. I'll gladly be everyone's guinea pig....I just need to find a window to get down there and compare the two.

It looks like theirs has the rib along the front.
Here's the best pic I have of the underside and hooks.

IMG_20180107_092348.jpg

It looks like theirs has the rib along the front.
Here's the best pic I have of the underside and hooks.

View attachment 3263531
As I said earlier, I have my original roof like yours and I'll compare mine to what they have. I'm hoping that ridge where the loops attach is in the same position as ours. If so, we're in business.

I ordered one of these 45 tops to test fit on my 65 SWB 45. UPS worked it over pretty good before I got it but Topnault has responded very well and is going to have it replaced. I can’t really comment on full figment because of the damage but I set on the truck anyway.

Compared to my original top this top does have a lip that hangs down over the front of the windshield frame. One would want to at the very least clearance the wiper motor spindles.
65530C6F-7953-47F9-933C-308E0BFF6B01.jpeg

Looking at the inside it appears the mounting flange extends back far enough that one could add the loops for the leavers to attach and secure the top. The front lip should come down so the top of the windshield frame will be closer to tge wiper motors after the wiper arm spindles are clearanced. Seems workable.
5AC1E427-8128-45F3-AC4B-E75C340FA3AF.jpeg

1A20B5A9-9983-4276-B8A4-DDF299E5511A.jpeg

I won’t comment on how the rear lines up as I said UPS beat it up. Topnault is replacing it with improved packaging for shipping to survive the the UPS torture test. I will share more after it arrives unless someone else does before me.

Really nice re vamp of your web site! Best of luck with your future guys. We're really looking forward to getting our first set of parts in. 👍

I ordered one of these 45 tops to test fit on my 65 SWB 45. UPS worked it over pretty good before I got it but Topnault has responded very well and is going to have it replaced. I can’t really comment on full figment because of the damage but I set on the truck anyway.

Compared to my original top this top does have a lip that hangs down over the front of the windshield frame. One would want to at the very least clearance the wiper motor spindles. View attachment 3263673
Looking at the inside it appears the mounting flange extends back far enough that one could add the loops for the leavers to attach and secure the top. The front lip should come down so the top of the windshield frame will be closer to tge wiper motors after the wiper arm spindles are clearanced. Seems workable.
View attachment 3263677
View attachment 3263678

I won’t comment on how the rear lines up as I said UPS beat it up. Topnault is replacing it with improved packaging for shipping to survive the the UPS torture test. I will share more after it arrives unless someone else does before me.
Any updates on trying to fit top on your truck?

I just got home and the replacement top arrived today. The packaging looks like it made the trip better. I will post some more updates after I get it opened and play with fitting.

I went down to Topnault (TP Auto Parts) yesterday to check it out. I also brought my 45 roof with latches to compare the two. There are two differences. One is that their's does not have the loops of the latches, but some could easily be made and welded in. Secondly the visor valance or the edge that comes down over the top of the windshield frame in taller as stated earlier by Tank5. Other than that it's the same roof panel. I bought one since I was there and am going to see if I can replicate the loops from mine.
I also let them borrow my tranny hump from my 69 40 to have 3D scanned. Hopefully they can make it work. There was a 77 40 tub there that they plan on scanning as well.
I did bring a set of my FST doors and I don't think they had ever seen those in person. Tim, the owner, was intrigued by them but he said they need to concentrate on getting the mid 70's parts going since a lot people are wanting that. With all the little parts that go into one of those doors I can't blame him!

Can be, I did it with some custom bends, aircraft rivets and panel adhesive. It was scary at first but only for the first one.
I also used a gozzard cap but it needs clearance for the wiper arms.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom