Desert to the Pines 2019 - Area "A" to Strawberry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drove up 260 and 87 today. Didn't see any wild fir or heavy smok like the flashing sign said. There was some smoke from last week's back burn on 87 from FR 300 to FR 141. Would be curious to drive in there to see what the wild fir was attached to but the area is closed because of a wild fire.

I should have guessed..... Why I haven't seen you at lunchtime recently. :doh:

Great pics. :cheers:

I should have guessed..... Why I haven't seen you at lunchtime recently. :doh:

Great pics. :cheers:
Can only take so much fire & brimstone - had to get away for a few days 🚘

Looks like you got within his personal space; gotta watch those boundaries. lol.

Looks like you got within his personal space; gotta watch those boundaries. lol.
Actually the coyote was ~ 150 yards away. He/she had been circling the camp for a while pretending to be a vegetarian.

I shot em with the telephoto as they were chewing on a tree stump. Sure looks like they were snarling - eh?

Hope they don’t have a hunger for any red Steve tonight😳

looks like a great trip, did you go alone? I'd like to check out the sonoran monument once things cool down.... I am always worried about getting stranded in the heat
I almost always travel alone - the main exception being the CSC run o da month’s and a few Cruise Moabs.

My practice is to carry more food and water than I need, more tools & spare parts than I need, and never drive farther than I am willing to walk back.

As Hunter S. Thompson said “I hate to advocate . . . or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”

More forest locals - a coyote came around camp again but I didn't get a picture
7D_30092 Cropped.jpg
7D_30271 Cropped.jpg

Tuesday morning's surprise guest at camp
7D_30335-Small.jpg
7D_30370-Small.jpg

Running back to mom? Please don't bring her here!
87D_30338a-Small.jpg

One morning we found a huge (and fresh) bear :poop: 30 yards from deer camp a couple of years ago that wasn't there when the sun was up.

Think it was day 5. Needless to say it gave us the push to pack it up and head home.;)

Great pics Steve! Looks like a fun trip.

Absolutely love the one of the bear, how cool!

Absolutely love the one of the bear, how cool!
Cool until Momma 🐻 shows up! I had one eye on the camera and one eye watching out. Luckily as soon as the cub saw me it hightailed it and never came back. Last thing I need is to get between a cub & Momma. I was on high alert the rest of the day until I left for home.

Heading home yesterday I saw the (other) side of the Woodbury fire.

Saw the first heavy smok as I came around the corner just north of Jake's Corner
7D_30397-small.jpg
7D_30403-small.jpg
7D_30426-small.jpg

As I entered the smoke cloud it was like being in the beginning of a solar eclipse
7D_30435-small.jpg

Driving through Miami was like driving on Mars
7D_30437-small.jpg

Quite a trip - left Thursday night and returned Tuesday evening.

723.5 miles round trip
Temperature high of 110, low 49
Saw Saguaro flowers in the desert and snowball cactus flowers in the forest
Saw a full moon rising
Saw vultures, hawks, crows, numerous silly birds
Saw one or two coyotes
Saw one (thankfully only one) bear cub
Saw a bunch of squirrels and a few chipmunks
Saw lots of ants, bugs, skeeters
Saw nobody on the desert trails & only one couple on the forest trails
Drove through seven different counties
Drove through BLM, National Monument, National Forest, State Trust Land
Arizona is a great place to live:cheers:
7D_30441-small.jpg

Great trip, and report. Thank you!

- It's what you don't see that is scary... where was Momma Bear? I'd wager she was looking at you. :cautious:

Great trip, and report. Thank you!

- It's what you don't see that is scary... where was Momma Bear? I'd wager she was looking at you. :cautious:
That was my first and foremost thought - where is the rest of youse bearz? I had one eye peeled looking around me while the other was trying to focus on the cub. I was one foot away from my open front truck door if things went downhill!

I'm sure the cub didn't realize I was there - as soon as they saw me and/or the truck they went running as fast as their little legs could go (scary fast, actually).

Quality content. Thanks for that.

Nice write up! I attempted to drive FR300 early this past Saturday morning only to be turned back by Rangers. Long drive to be turned back. It it already re-opened according to FS. Next time I guess

... went running as fast as their little legs could go (scary fast, actually).

I once watched a bear run 100 yards up a large flowing creek... the chest deep water did not slow her down. Had she been headed my direction, I honestly doubt I could have made it from the back of my car to the driver door in the time she splashed through all that water. I've seen bear loping along, running across fields in Yellowstone and Yosemite, this bear in Glacier was incredible by comparison.

A not so funny part of the story - there were people with cameras out of their cars standing on the passenger/water side, within 20 yards. When whatever it was that spooked the bear happened (some noise I didn't hear up in the opposite side brush) - those closest to her panicked - and it reminded me of the two guys chatting while a bear was raiding their camp.

John: We gotta go, no time for shoes, and you can't outrun a bear.
Joe: I don't have to outrun the bear.

I have also been quite close to bears, I agree, they move WAY faster than people would imagine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom