Definitive How To for Belt Moulding/Weatherstrip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My painter removed the belt moulding from my 62...and many retaining clips broke. I went to work to find replacement clips since the rubber/felt was serviceable. I went to the Toyota FJ62 parts diagrams, and the belt moulding was only shown as an assembly part (chrome strip with the rubber/felt weather strip secured via the white clips). There was not definitvely a replacement clip shown. Further, it is not shown that the weatherstrip portion is available for the 62.

I began researching here and everywhere. @g-man was helpful in trying to describe his experience. Although there are several threads on the subject, none were detailed enough to understand that the weatherstrip/clips portions are available, but...as FJ60 parts, not FJ62 parts...and how the swap out is made. Another point of confusion was the change in the design shape of the white clips over the years.

This is a description that hopefully will help make all this easier to follow.

The first thing people will find in their search is that the FJ62 "part" (75720-90A00 and the series) is discontinued. Nobody has them. What I learned is that what this really means is that the assembly is not available AND that the component of that assembly which is the chrome portion with the bit of black trim is not available. If your chrome piece is in good shape, you can restore the assembly by ordering the still-available weatherstrip/felt/clips portion separately. I ordered my four from Cruiser Corps.

While you wait for the parts to arrive, you can go to work preparing. The first thing you can do is remove the original white clips that hold the weatherstrip to the chrome strip. Notice in the first photo one that is intact, and one that is broken. You need a tool that is not too sharp, but that you can get under the clip on the rubber side, leverage up on one side, then push up and off. This will also need to be done with the new clips; more later.

Upon removing these you will reveal slots in the chrome piece that are under the weatherstrip and clip. These slots correspond to the ones in the outer door sheet metal at the bottom of the window frame. The white clips serve to hold the weatherstrip to the chrome belt moulding, but also to clip into the sheet metal slots in the door. It is important at this point to mark the slot positions on the adjacent chrome surface on the underside of the moulding with a Sharpie so that you can precisely position the new clips when you affix the new weatherstrip onto the old chrome belt moulding. In the last photo of this post, you can see that I've already put on the new clip, centering it over the markings of the now concealed slot in the chrome strip. Continued...

20181216_091502_resized.jpg

20181216_091555_resized.jpg

20181216_092859_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Next, work on getting the new clips off the new weather strip. They hold via a little barb that slips over a little shelf of the rubber. With your tool carefully lift one edge up enough to get it over the retaining rubber shelf. Here is where there is a struggle to get the clip the rest of the way off without damaging the rubber...or slipping off and stabbing your other nearby hand (as I did mildly...once).

Position the new weatherstrip properly on the chrome belt moulding. The old rubber likely left an indelible mark that you can use to line up the new. Sliding the new clip into position is easy due to the marks you made and a bit of tried and true lubrication; saliva. Start at the slot on the ends and work your way inward. If you miss the centering a bit over the marks, you may notice it is now difficult to slide the clip. This is because the edge of the clip on the chrome side has fallen inside the slot. You'll have to remove the clip and try again. As the clip easily slides down over the rubber, you want to get its barbed edge over the small rubber shelf. Sometimes you hear a slight pop when it seats, sometimes not. But you can visually verify.

This will position the long tab on the new clips such that they "point" into the slots into which they will fit in the door. My 62 is still at the painter's, so I won't be able to pop these in for a few days. I am told by @g-man that this is done by lowering the window, then lining up and bumping them into the slots with your fist or a rubber mallet.

You end up with the completed restored assembly ready for installation.

By the way, while waiting for the parts to arrive, I spent quite a bit of time working on the bit of black plastic trim on each end of the chrome belt moulding. The years of service and sun had made mine shrink a bit and start to release from the chrome on top and underneath. Restoring this using super glue gel was tedious and time consuming. Toothpicks were the tool I needed most. I also took a nylon scouring pad with rubbing compound to polish the chrome. The final touch is restoring/conditioning the black plastic with Mother's Back to Black. As you can see, it turns out pretty nicely restored.

I'll post again with the final installation info.

20181215_145218.jpg

20181215_145221.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't there a non-chrome option still available as a set that comes with clips?

Not to my knowledge. I think that what I ordered and used with the chrome is what you are thinking of. Could it be used without the chrome moulding? I don't know. I haven't pondered that. I think they could be snapped onto the doors, but doing so would leave a large gap at each end allowing a lot of water in. The chrome moulding extends to cover those.

Last edited:
The felts that CityRacer sells or I believe 70series felts work too.

I would like them also!

I did the rear door windows too. The drivers side rear door I was lucky enough to pull the old trim out and the clips stayed in place. I just pushed the new rubber in and it was done. On the passenger side I was not so lucky. The clips broke and some fell out. I had disassemble much of the door to get the chrome trim out. The reason the rear doors are much harder is because the chrome is pinned under the fixed window.

@LCnAZ when you go to do the rear doors here are the steps as I recall:

Pull the door card.

Remove the window from the regulator.

Remove the regulator.

EDIT: Remove the screw on top of the door above the division bar and over the door fame. It's hidden in the channel under the outer door seal.

Removed the division bar inside the door.

Slide the fixed window and seal toward the front of the door. Spray lube helps here.

Get it completely out of the fixed window position then tilted inward and lifted up off the door.

Remove the chrome piece and clean it up and installed the new weatherstrip.

Clip it into the door.

Next the fixed window goes back. I struggled a bit here. It had to go back in by putting it forward on the door and sliding it to the rear. It was very tight trying to slide it over the new weatherstrip but it did go. Some silicone lube may be helpful here.

Last edited:
I would like them also!

they're non usa window felts and readily available....city racer, cruiser corps, sor all have them just to name a few. less than 100 bucks will get all four outer felts.
they come with new clips and install in moments.

I am in the process of gathering parts to take my doors apart...this is a great thread as I want to keep the chrome on my belt moldings and just plan on doing the front doors at this time. My truck is an 83 FJ60. When I look at CruiserCorps website I only see the molding for later models. So question...where can I source the molding that will allow me to keep my chrome for an 83 and I do not see the clips sold separately that hold the chrome and molding down....where can I find those??

I'm seeing on City Racer's site that the chrome free weatherstrip doesn't work on US spec FJ62s. Is this actually the case? I had always thought that body stuff like that worked with all specs of 60s and 62s

I'm working on this upgrade now as well. So is it safe to say that there is no option to replace all of the chrome weatherstrip pieces with non chrome pieces?? The outer felts can be non chrome however the other parts of the window would be chrome still. Am I missing something?

@LCnAZ - ok, I think I have gathered all my parts to do my front door rehab. I plan to replace door regulators, the handles, add sound deadening, replace felts inside and out keeping my chrome. Thanks for the write up. Quick question- What order? I have read when I replace the regulators that I detach the window and tape it in the up position while I do that work....but what about the felts? do you replace those with the window actually removed, when rolled all the way down??? just not sure where the glass is when I am doing some of this work....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom