deciding between an 80 or a 100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to this site and to off roading. I have done quite a bit of research on this site and others. I am interested in getting an 80/lx450 but the 100/lx470 seems nicer with all the interior luxuries. I know the 100 doesn't have front and back lockers. I think they only have rear but not sure untill what year the rear lockers were offered. Is it a really big deal to have both front and back? Can anybody tell me the pro's and con's to each of these cruisers?

Welcome! :flipoff2: <--Official Mud Welcome

Here is a good guide for the 80 series lineup:
80 Series Land Cruiser - Front Bumper

Also within the same site is a 100 series guide:
Slee Off-Road 100 Series Newbie Guide

In the 80's forum, you may hear that the 80 series is the way to go. Likewise, the 100 series folks prefer their 100 series wagons. They're both great vehicles, but there are differences.

The answer to your question all depends on what you are using this vehicle for: if it is not going to see much off road use, and you want primarily a Cruiser for commuting (in that case, get a Tercel), then the 100 series will be more luxurious, and probably have more cup holders. :D

An 80 series has solid front+rear axles; the 100 series has independent front suspension; most extreme wheelers prefer a solid axle over IFS. The 100 series (so I've heard) has more cup holders than an 80.

Lockers were not available as a factory option for Land Cruisers until 1993, all the way through 1997. Remember: this was an option, and you will have to look for the knob on the dash board to the left of the steering column. 1991 and 1992 Land Cruisers did not have the locking differentials as an option; you will have to buy a locker (rear only for a full-time AWD), and many prefer an Aussie locker (full-time) for it's price and on-road handling.

Other than that, read through the FAQ at the top of this forum; it is there that you will find answers to most of your questions. :cheers:

Our opinions will not make a difference

Well let me start off by saying that I am posting in the 80s forum because I am favoring the 97' 80 series. My intention for the cruiser would be a daily driver during the week and hitting the Arizona trails on the weekends. The question I have and its because I am new to off roading is how does the 100 compare off road because I seen a lot of done-up 100s doing some crazy things on the trails. I just don't know if they have aftermarker lockers installed or a factory locking rear diff? How much better (for off roading) is it to have both front and back lockers as opposed to just the back. What year did the 100 have the locking rear diff?

I pretty much decided on the 97' 80 series but wanted to check out the 100 because the added power and more modern luxury (not for the number of cup holders).:banana:

They will both work for you until you get into extreme four wheeling, at which point the 80 has an edge. The 100 will cost you more, and be younger. The 100 will be 'nicer'. It totally depends on what you want to do with it. A 100 will go 95% of the places a similarly-equipped 80 will go. You'd have to ask the 100 series aficionados about locker availability for them. Early 100's have a weak front differential design- again, ask in the 100 forum if you want more info. A used 80 will usually require a bunch of maintenance to 'baseline' it (bring it up to date) which can cost upwards of $1,000 or more, so figure that into your budget. At last count, something less than 10% of the 1fz-fe (80 series motor) headgaskets are failing due to a flaw in the design, and you will hear a lot about this from anti-80 folks. That is another possible $1,000, and a good thing to ask about when you are buying. The new OEM gasket is improved and should outlast the rest of the motor, should you have to replace it (or purchase an 80 with a new one).

Go check the links posted by spdwaver1 and introduce yourself in the 100 forum for more info.

00 and up have traction confrol, no available rear locker. It is supposed to work very well "in place of lockers" for many situations.

They are both nice but the 80 has the advantage off the bat with two lockers (optional), Solid front, and a slightly smaller size.
It comes down to how much money you want to spend, how much off roading you are going to do and how hard core you want it.

Plzz decide and delete this thread before shotts shows up :grinpimp:

Plzz decide and delete this thread before shotts shows up :grinpimp:

Don't worry, we are safe for the time being... Shotts has been banned.

OP (original poster)- If you do a search, you will find quite a few 80 vs. 100 threads, with passionate defenders of each, for good reason.

OP (original poster)- If you do a search, you will find quite a few 80 vs. 100 threads, with passionate defenders of each, for good reason.

Yup. But then again, actions speak louder than words! (from firetruck's sig)

"1996 Lexus LX 450, 140k, locked, Cooper STT 285s, OME 850/863, CDL/Pin 7, 30qt freezer, 2@aux fuse blocks, aux powerpoint, 850w inverter
1998 Lexus LX 470, 139k Sold"

Really what did he do this time??

Something over in the 60sect. Not sure if the mods completely removed the thread or just took it down to remove his posts. lol.

/hijack over.

Yup. But then again, actions speak louder than words! (from firetruck's sig)

"1996 Lexus LX 450, 140k, locked, Cooper STT 285s, OME 850/863, CDL/Pin 7, 30qt freezer, 2@aux fuse blocks, aux powerpoint, 850w inverter
1998 Lexus LX 470, 139k Sold"

hehehe:beer:

Both great rigs, it depends on your priorities, the 100 is a more comfortable, powerful highway/forest road cruiser, the 80 is a better wheeler. Also if you have kids, the 100 has rear A/C.

For AZ wheeling, if your going off of graded forest roads, your dealing with angles, wash crossings, rock ledges, steps, etc. In my observation '80's and FJ Cruisers go right over stuff where '100's struggle. IMHO an '80 with J front, heavy rear springs, L shocks and 315 tires is a very potent weapon for AZ trails and is relatively inexpensive and easy to build.

Checkout the local forum, maybe go on a run and see different rigs in action?
AZ- Copper State Cruisers - IH8MUD.com

whats a 80/100 thread without picture from shotts?:hillbilly:
shotts1jpg.jpg

Ya.. I know I want the 80 which was my first choice. I just like all the modern luxuries in the 100. Toyota should make an option for lockers again. I would buy the brand new one. Then go beat it up in the desert.

For a while the decision was easy, since 80s were quite a bit cheaper than 100s. Now I'm seeing 100s that were the same price as 80s were just a year or two ago and nice 80s that are really going down in price.

If I could justify it, I'd have both. For for a daily driver (100) and one for the weekend toy (80). I personally don't want to give up my solid front axle, despite the horsepower increase. For my purposes, more of an expedition fire/forest/desert road hauler, either rig works fine and 100 probably would actually be more comfortable and enjoyable, which is why I'd like both. But there's an added sense of security with the suspension and axles of the 80.

One of the odd things about Toyota's 100 design is the lack of a full floating axle in the 100. Something I really want to have as a security measure. But oddly enough, Toyota significantly increased the rear diff and axle size, so it might stand to reason that rear breakage may be less likely than an 80.

As far as IFS, I don't care what anyone says, solid axles have the upper hand in slow serious off roading...no matter what. I've run both stock and modified IFS systems, SAS trucks and now my FZJ80 and there's no comparision to IFS with solid front axles...except in one area...high speed running over fire roads and the desert. IFS can really soak up the bumps and maintain control far better than the solid axles. Which is why the type of off roading one might do is so important in trying to decided which rig to get. Both will do adequately in all types of off roading, but one definately had an advantage over the other depending on which type it is.

While not nearly as simple as an engine like 22RE, I'd personally rather have to work on and troubleshoot the 1FZ than the 100 series V-8. But the 100 series doesn't have the dreaded headgasket problem, so that's a big plus. All of us that have not yet had the headgasket issue, have this damn worry hanging over our head all the time.

Shotts would tell us that the 100 is far more refined than the 80. He might be right. I've noticed there seems to be a lot less issues with the 100 than the 80. For example, no head gasket issues or transmission issues like with the 80. I'm sure Toyota engineers really went all out when designing the 100, so one could benefit from that expertise. The 80 was the first true luxery off roader and 100 likely benefitted from all the lessons learning in designing and building the 80.

In the end, I kind of figure that my next rig, years from now, to replace my 80, probably will end up being a 100 series. As mentioned before, preferrably the newer model with the 5 speed auto and more horsepower. Years from now when into a price range I can afford. But for now I'm MORE than happy with my 80.

Last edited:
I had really nice 80 and sold it, bought a 100, thought I couldn't live without an 80, bought another 80...after many hour of pondering I sold the 80. Why should I build another vehicle to do ~5% of the trails I could not do in the 100. So for now I will going where I want go (except ~5%) in total comfort with little concern because I'm still in a Land Cruiser.

IMHO----- you have to ask yourself first how willing you are to do upkeep/maintenance/your own work vs. taking it to someone else.

IF you plan on doing all your own work- you can probably choose which ever tickles your fancy and suits your needs based on some previous articles/threads.

IF you plan on someone else doing work on your rig- i would HIGHLY consider purchasing the lowest mileage 100 series you can find.

For family- the 100 is a little roomier--smoother on the road and has a nice v8 engine. For smaller familes-ie 3to4...an 80 will be suitable around town and a beast on the trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom