Dash pad for '40 with Roll Cage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
Sorry for the poor image, but as you can circled, my FJ40 that I recently inherited from my late father does not have a dash pad. I am not sure if he never got around to it, or finding one with a roll cage compatibility was an issue.
I would like to add one if possible. Do typical dash pads have enough clearance to allow room for a roll cage? Perhaps some manufacturer produced aftermarket dash pads with this in mind? Any help appreciated.

Thank you!

Forgot to attach image. Here it is.

dashpad.jpg

Usually the cages are bent to go around the pad and slope of the dash. How tight is the cage to the dash now?

Last edited:
Usually the cages are bent to go around the pad. How tight is the cage to the dash now?

I will have to check when I get home from work. I see that the pads themselves kind of curve into a shorter width from where they are mounted to the dash. Hopefully that would allow for more clearance.

If it had a padded dash at one time all the mounting brackets have been removed. Does it have a heater because in the windshield defrost vents are gone with plates covering the openings?

It looks like a piece of sheet metal has been bolted over the windshield frame in lieu of the defrost vents. Do you still have the screws holding the windshield in place on either side? Those usually go through the dash pad?

It looks like a piece of sheet metal has been bolted over the windshield frame in lieu of the defrost vents. Do you still have the screws holding the windshield in place on either side? Those usually go through the dash pad?

I am not sure about the screws. That I will have to check. In Googling images of "FJ40 dash" I see that they mount with screws not too far from the button controls. So I would probably have to do some drilling. Not sure if it means that much to me to have the dash pad in that case. I think the Dash pads make the look dash look real cool but perhaps my Dad has reasons to not install a dash pad.

You have what looks to be an older style roll bar hoop in the front... most places today allow the dash pad to still be used

Your dad most likely removed the dash pad because this older style does hit the pad

I have seen guys do a nice clean cut on the pad to conform around the bar... but... that does meen you will need to cut it

You can always find a dash box to use instead... these were originally designed to use with those roll bars

The roll bar also interfere with the window crank right?

You have what looks to be an older style roll bar hoop in the front... most places today allow the dash pad to still be used

Your dad most likely removed the dash pad because this older style does hit the pad

I have seen guys do a nice clean cut on the pad to conform around the bar... but... that does meen you will need to cut it

You can always find a dash box to use instead... these were originally designed to use with those roll bars

The roll bar also interfere with the window crank right?

I don't think the window crank interferes with anything but I will have to double check tonight.

A lot of the older cage designs did interfere

This cage was custom built by Proffitt's Cruisers around 2011. Really wish I could have discussed some of these details with my Dad before he passed. We discussed some of it, but it was the last thing on my mind when he was sick. I have been in contact with Jeremiah Proffitt in trying to figure out the auxiliary fuel tank setup he had too.

He also removed the spot-welded bracket from the dash to mount the padded dash. That's going to be some work to replace the bracket to go back to the stock padded dash.

Curious this is a 78 correct?

Last edited:
The square holes for the lower dash pads were also filled in. I'd imagine the dash was built that way on purpose. The cover plate with screws is there to keep the defrost functional, and it's been painted and cleared same as everything else. It was all meant to be seen. Obviously has a Vintage Air A/C unit under the dash, and a CD player. Looks to me like it was built to be driven, and have some modern function, i.e. gauges, radio, AC... They weren't concerned with keeping it totally stock, and might have just wanted a clean look with no pads.

'Cage was probably custom made to hug the dash without the pad. I'd want to see what they did with the windshield knobs, too (which is the area your hand is covering in the picture). From what I can see, I'd say it'll be more trouble than it's worth to put a dash pad back in and make it look right. Whoever did the dash definitely wanted it to look exactly the way it does, and I dig it! You won't see another one just like it!

- Josh

The square holes for the lower dash pads were also filled in. I'd imagine the dash was built that way on purpose.

Besides those fixed nuts for the screws along the bottom of the padded dash there is a bracket that runs across the top of the dash that the padded dash snapped on. OP was asking about the padded dash reinstalling that bracket is a lot harder then finding and tapping out the fixed nuts. Exploring different roll cage would want to know what it takes to install a original padded dash. For most unless wanting to go back to stock the bracket removal was one way and not going back.

Honestly id think you should just stick to no dash pad or go with a custom built one off.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but it looks like that is an Aqualu cowl. I have the same cowl and I'm looking to install the original dash pad. Any luck on the install? how did you do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom