Dash Lights not working... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me start by saying I did do a search and found some helpful stuff but none of it seems applicable to my situation :).

I did the LED upgrade on my dash lights and along the way kept testing to make sure everything worked went on as it should. So of course as I'm getting everything buttoned back up the lights don't work. In the pic below (area in red boxes) I covered the inside of the area with some reflective tape (i.e. aluminum reflective tape) and this is where I think messed up probably caused a short because the tape was touching both sides. I have checked the fuses all look good. Everything else works, light wise.

1. Fuse good for visual and swapped a few new ones in and out.
2. Dimmer turned all the way up.
3. Pulled everything back out twice to make sure everything was plugged in as it should be.

What am I missing seems it should be something simple. Ugh electrical!! Suggestions please?

Thank you.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450052957.591995.jpg

what happens when you try the original bulbs?

You should be able to find the open/short with a continuity tester or multimeter. It just takes time.

Tried the original bulbs, still no work. I guess Ill try Continuity/Multimeter next weekend. Any suggestion on what kind/brand of meter?
I do not have one currently.

Any meter will do this job. Can get a nice one from Sears for less than $20, HF for from free to $7...& Walmart too.

If I understand your post, none of the dash lights work? Then the continuity test on the multimeter will be your friend. Start from the original + input to the dash, making sure you get 12V at that point. Once you have a known hot starting point, then use the continuity function to move through the dash light circut until you find the section where you don't get the "beep" from the continuity tester. Also, before you do any electrical testing, do a visual check of the dash circuts/wiring to see if there's an obvious spot (overheating) which caused the problem.

Thats correct, gauge lights and dash lights. The idiot lights still work though. I did a full visual today. I checked the common ground in the dash and looks good.

Thank you I appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom