CV Boots Replaced with directions (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

About to tackle this job and have 2 questions:

1. Just received my reboot kit from Jim Ellis Toyota of McDonough via Toyotaparts.com and noticed the larger of the boots seems like it is made out of an inferior material compared to the smaller boot. The smaller boot is like a heavy duty rubber, clearly has a Toyota stamp on it, but the larger one feels more like a cheap plastic (and less pliable than the smaller boot). Anyone else have this experience?

2. Ordered the clamp kit from PFRAN on April 21, and still have not received it. Online system still states “Awaiting Fulfillment” and credit card was charged on April 21, I’ve e-mailed a couple times with no reply. Anybody know if PFRAN is still in business?

Thanks.

@Ryno100 I have some extra McMaster Carr boot clamps in both sizes if you want them. Whatever I paid plus shipping would work. I could send them out tomorrow. Just PM me if interested.

@Ryno100 I have some extra McMaster Carr boot clamps in both sizes if you want them. Whatever I paid plus shipping would work. I could send them out tomorrow. Just PM me if interested.

Do you guys prefer to use the worm clamps versus the bands that come with the kit?

@lesgarten I reclamped my inner boots last time with the exact clamps from NAPA in 2000LC's post #255 (this thread) and they are fine as long as you get them crimped correctly (with tool in same post). Many use the worm drive clamps from McMaster Carr as they won't tear the boots and you don't need the crimp tool. I bought some of these type for next time/emergency.

@lesgarten I reclamped my inner boots last time with the exact clamps from NAPA in 2000LC's post #255 (this thread) and they are fine as long as you get them crimped correctly (with tool in same post). Many use the worm drive clamps from McMaster Carr as they won't tear the boots and you don't need the crimp tool. I bought some of these type for next time/emergency.

I bought the tools to do the factory bands, but I also have the McMaster Carr worm clamps.

@lesgarten can't go wrong either way! Where are you in South Florida? I'm from the Ft Myers area but now living in KC.

The OEM boot kit has one soft rubber boot and one that's more like a soft plastic or hard rubber. The clamps included in the kit, work great.

When I just re-clamp, NAPA clamps CV work very well. I've use for over 10 years, without a hitch.

The OEM boot kit has one soft rubber boot and one that's more like a soft plastic or hard rubber. The clamps included in the kit, work great.

When I just re-clamp, NAPA clamps CV work very well. I've use for over 10 years, without a hitch.

Do you think the worm screw clamps do any harm? Balance wise or boot damage wise?

Thanks for confirming that, I was suspect that I’d received a non-Toyota manufactured boot that would end up tearing prematurely.

Thanks, I’m currently living overseas, so easier for me to just get them at the local Auto Parts store - which I would have originally done, but PFRAN had great feedback from the Mud site that I figured I’d throw my business their way.

Do you think the worm screw clamps do any harm? Balance wise or boot damage wise?
I've never used them. But I do have both those concerns.

Here is a question on cv boots.

I've had my hundy for 12 years now. In that time, I put on the slee OME 2" heavy lift with diff drip kit. With that in mind, I have booted my cv shafts 3 times.......and they are torn and ready for a 4th time. The last time I did the job, I used the PFran clamp kit and that did not cause the issuse. Instead the outer boot ripped in the accordion part.....

Am I doing something wrong, or is this about average for the normal wear and tear of the lifted unit.......?

Thank you for any suggestions or comments.

This video was PERFECT. Answered all of my questions along with this whole thread. Ordered my reboot kit today, $66 from Toyota and will hope to get started with disassembly tomorrow.

Hey guys, THANK YOU to everyone that contributed to this thread. I just completed the passenger side and was able to sail through mostly everything without running into any major issues. The only snag I hit was getting the axle back in. I did use grease to keep the snap ring facing down but it wasn't popping in... after a few wacks with a pry bar I got it nice and seated.

IMG_7728.jpg

IMG_7729.jpg

My only question now is the following:

Do I have to cut off the ends of the McMaster clamps so they arent just hanging out? Or should I just leave them?

IMG_7730.jpg

Last edited:
I never bothered with cutting the excess on the clamps on two trucks. No issues.

Jim
Perfect, just wondering what the consensus is on this.

Thanks!

Perfect, just wondering what the consensus is on this.

Thanks!

I'm getting ready to do mine tomorrow or Thursday I think.

My suggestion, cut them off. Those look like little knives right next to your shiny new bellows. Just MHO

Probably good either way, but me, I'd cut 'em

I'm getting ready to do mine tomorrow or Thursday I think.

My suggestion, cut them off. Those look like little knives right next to your shiny new bellows. Just MHO

Probably good either way, but me, I'd cut 'em

I did cut the one long one in the top of the rebooted axle pic. Left the rest.

One more question guys:

I lost a bit of diff oil... definitely several teaspoons.. even though the side I was working on was lifted up higher. (maybe not high enough)

Should I top up the diff... and if so, won't I need a new crush washer? Or is there not one for the fill hole? (I don't recall when I last did mine)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom