Custom Early style Bed for fj45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
I am still in the research and parts gathering part of my fj45 build so I have not started a build thread yet. I am looking to build my own custom bed to mimic the style of the early SWB smooth sided beds for my build. I am sure someone has done this before and I trying to determine how difficult it is and how they went about it. I am also asking because I purchased a fj43 tub from another member on the forum to cut the tub off of and use to make my bed. It already is the length I need to make the tub for my build. I just have to add the back to it. I have talked to a few people that seem to think there are better ways to do this than sacrifice the 43 tub. So my questions are:

Should I not use the fj43 tub and pass it on to someone else?
Has anyone built a bed using fj40 tubs?
How hard is it to mimic the tighter corner in the tub behind the cab?
If there are any threads out there covering this please share the link - I could not find them.

The fj43 tub is not pristine and what I paid for it does not come close to what it costs to purchase an Aqualu or steel reproduction bed.

If it's rare, yes.
I haven't.
Been thinking on this for a while now. I had planned to negate the entire tight radius thing and use the B-pillar from the donor tub - then trim it so the top is angled same as the rest. Was gonna join that same pillar with SHS and make a flat leading tub wall with a few braces in it to match the side walls.
Not sure. Try 'search' in top right.

Cult 45,

I have tried the search without much luck.

I don't know that the 43 tub is rare. It was imported from Belgium and was beat up in the transport. They don't seem common in the US though.

I had not considered just making the bed front flat across. That would be a lot easier. I was focused on trying to make the factory like corner. I will have to consider that as an option.

Thanks

FJ43's are pretty rare man, but if it's U/S then you may as well use it. Straight up I'd make the front wall flat. To make that curve you've basically gotta take that top rail, heat it up and bend it on the correct radius. Then you've got to do the other side to match. The profile in that top rail is such that the outer edge will need to bend [stretch] wayyyyy further than the inner one. Try picture bending that radius. And that's just the top rail. Then you've gotta do the same with a piece of flat sheet that follows the exact same radius over 2' of bed corner. If you can do it - go nuts man, but joisus my man there's a good few days in just that one job. Maybe a week by the time it's filled and blocked.

I am building a 45 on an 80 series Chassis and to fit my build I would need a bed that is around 60-64 inches. I could use a SWB if I could find an affordable one to lengthen but thought they would be hard to find. I have looked at the Aqualu beds they offer which would be great but considerably more expensive than building my own. I have more time than I have money to build my project.

That said if anyone out there has a SWB bed they would part with I am interested.

Marcfj-45

I am in New Mexico, pretty far from that bed but I appreciate you sharing it. That is a good price someone that can do the body work. Wish i was closer I would buy it just to save it. I am also looking for the early SWB style bed with the smooth sides or looking to build a like style.

how about a 79' box. Guy in Canada selling those too.

The 79 box would be nice, but OP is looking for the rear end appearance of the SWB or FJ40 body.

The hardest part of the SWB box is the rearmost 12". Maybe get a FJ40 tub that's somewhat salvageable in back, fab a slab sided bed going forward from there, 90° corners at the front.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just happen to take some pics of a swb near me, been trying to buy it for years but guy will not sell! Some pics for reference.

Whitey45, that is the bed style I am looking for - to bad he will not sell it. That would be a nice truck.

Just to revisit part of my original dilemma I have a rough fj43 tub and the bed portion of it measures 63" +/_ which is right at what I need to build my bed. I could cut the fj43 tub and turn it into a bed for my build by capping, in some manner, the open end of the tub to form a bed. I have another fj40 tub to use to make it work. Should I sacrifice the fj43 to build a bed or are they so hard to find that I should pass it on to someone who wants to build a fj43-assuming someone wants it. If I could find a SWB bed to stretch, that would work great for me but they seem equally as hard to find would it be right to cut and stretch it if I found one?

I can build a steel bed using the fj43 tub for considerably less than I can buy an aluminum bed from Aqualu. I have sent a few feelers out to see if anyone would be interested in buying it but so far no one has really jumped on it. Truth is the fj43 tub was for sale on this forum for approx. 10 months and no one jumped on it so it does not seem to me that it is all that desirable.

I appreciate every ones help so far.

43's are so uncommon it would be hard to find someone that needs a tub, especially here in the us, they were never imported here. I say go for it, you will never find a shorty bed!!

sorry to hijack, but who's truck is that Whitey? I must have missed it................., his rear split window rubber looks awesome!!

I have someone in Phoenix to reproduce, I just need a good/viable sample!!

dont forget OP, there is a 2 1/2" - 3" difference between the fixed top and removable top SWB beds

sorry to hijack, but who's truck is that Whitey? I must have missed it................., his rear split window rubber looks awesome!!

I have someone in Phoenix to reproduce, I just need a good/viable sample!!

dont forget OP, there is a 2 1/2" - 3" difference between the fixed top and removable top SWB beds

Sean

IIRC, @tornadoalleycruiser was looking into this. Have you guys chatted?

The 79 box would be nice, but OP is looking for the rear end appearance of the SWB or FJ40 body.

The hardest part of the SWB box is the rearmost 12". Maybe get a FJ40 tub that's somewhat salvageable in back, fab a slab sided bed going forward from there, 90° corners at the front.

Oh the irony of it all! @Downey cut that 12" off of his swb and threw it away when he did his resto-mod.

65swb45, That is too bad, it would have been great to get that before it got trashed. Cannot always be that easy I guess.

Gave up when got the quote. Sold to mudder for his resto. I swapped to a removable top cab instead

Gave up when got the quote. Sold to mudder for his resto. I swapped to a removable top cab instead

Ahh. Ihaben't kept up to date on that part of your build.

I'll try and remember that, so I don't tell somebody else the same thing in a couple of years! D'oh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom