Cummins R2.8 Repower Complete 10,000 Miles on it (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So today I finally got a video of the install, I am still working on a few little issues like it gets a bit warm and the transmission connector to the controller can be flakey but it’s pretty awesome. I get the following questions a lot so I’ll try to answer them.

Mileage - 22 to 28 MPG - 18 Pulling a 3000lb trailer that pushes a lot of wind.
Cost of build. Expensive - I went with all new parts and paid for fab. Cheaper than a new 4Runner - I have $42K invested in the whole thing including buying it.
Smog in California- It’s a nightmare, if you live in California I would avoid it.

Check it out!

Very nice to see! Really gets me motivated. What is the app that you've got setup on that old phone? Do you have details on the tachometer setup for the standard FJ62 guage?
Tachometer set up is not too bad. You can either have your ECM flashed to match the input of the tach, I think it might be 2 pulses per revolution but can't remember or you can run a converter like I have from dakota digital.

The app on the old iPhone is from blue driver, it is a bluetooth device that plugs into the OBDII connector - sends all kinds of engine data to the phone.

Both links below:

Amazon product ASIN B00652G4TS

For reference I've spent about $42k renovating my house for the past 5 years. My dad and I do all the work but I pay him for his time and then of course there are all the materials. ;)

What kind of temps are you seeing??

Temps for the most part stay around 176F to 185F around town. Highway runs 195F unless I am pulling a long grade in a hot day then they creep up- I slow down when above 215F
That’s about what I’m seeing also...thanks for getting back to me.

Sorry, I don't think my process is repeatable. I would check with your local builder or better yet referee.

Did you do this as a crate motor retrofit or as a repower of a given year of vehicle that was sold in CA?

As you likely know but maybe others not so much, if you were to swap in a diesel out of say a Chevy Colorado, which of course passes the = year or newer requirement, and carry over the Colorado's emissions equipment the ref process is a breeze as long as you didn't leave anything off. If you just buy an engine in a crate, you will need to tell the ref what year and vehicle you want it certified against, and they will review it as that vehicle of that year so everything needs to be there.

Frank

The turbo comes with the crate engine, it's a cummins product I believe and I have seen boost up to about 24PSI but have heard it goes to 27.
About the same range as my Holset HX-30. Does it have a wastegate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom