Cruiser Newbie - Where to Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am a long-time stalker of this forum and will finally be getting my first LC100 next week. My dad has had one for a long time and is looking to finally move to a smaller SUV so I am going to buy his off of him. It's a 2005 w/ about 190K on the odometer. It's in great shape with all of the dealer service records. Looking through service records it looks like valve cover gasket and cooling system (need to check if heater Ts were done) were all serviced this year. The timing belt was done at the beginning of 2021. Tires were done in 2019 but only about 15K miles ago (it sat in the garage quite a bit during COVID). Brakes were done in 2022.

This will largely be a semi-daily driver for me. I am going to do a few functional improvements (replace stereo & speakers, cup holder upgrade, back seat cover and all weather floor liners to keep my kids from wreaking havoc). Anything else I should be looking to do or maintenance I should be considering?

So I am a long-time stalker of this forum and will finally be getting my first LC100 next week. My dad has had one for a long time and is looking to finally move to a smaller SUV so I am going to buy his off of him. It's a 2005 w/ about 190K on the odometer. It's in great shape with all of the dealer service records. Looking through service records it looks like valve cover gasket and cooling system (need to check if heater Ts were done) were all serviced this year. The timing belt was done at the beginning of 2021. Tires were done in 2019 but only about 15K miles ago (it sat in the garage quite a bit during COVID). Brakes were done in 2022.

This will largely be a semi-daily driver for me. I am going to do a few functional improvements (replace stereo & speakers, cup holder upgrade, back seat cover and all weather floor liners to keep my kids from wreaking havoc). Anything else I should be looking to do or maintenance I should be considering?
Awesome, sounds like you can already check a bunch of stuff off the list and you know of a few other things to inspect when you get it.

Post some pics under the hood and down below once you get your hands on it. Pop the plastic cover off the engine and take a look around. Check for cracked vac lines and anything else that might catch your eye. Looks for any possible fluid leaks. Check coolant in radiator and overflow. Check radiator fins. etc. etc. then sit back and be happy that thing is prob in mint condition with possibly no rust? Do florida vehicles rust?

Awesome, sounds like you can already check a bunch of stuff off the list and you know of a few other things to inspect when you get it.

Post some pics under the hood and down below once you get your hands on it. Pop the plastic cover off the engine and take a look around. Check for cracked vac lines and anything else that might catch your eye. Looks for any possible fluid leaks. Check coolant in radiator and overflow. Check radiator fins. etc. etc. then sit back and be happy that thing is prob in mint condition with possibly no rust? Do florida vehicles rust?
Will do. The good news is he has been religious about maintenance and it's all been dealer done so as long as his Toyota dealer is competent I'm hoping the obvious stuff will be in good shape. Rust shouldn't be an issue but occasionally (dealing with it on my 2016 Honda Pilot where the door trim had a small tear).

Looks like they replaced a bunch of coolant hoses during the last service. Rear diff service was 2018 but only about 23k ago in miles.

Will do. The good news is he has been religious about maintenance and it's all been dealer done so as long as his Toyota dealer is competent I'm hoping the obvious stuff will be in good shape. Rust shouldn't be an issue but occasionally (dealing with it on my 2016 Honda Pilot where the door trim had a small tear).

Looks like they replaced a bunch of coolant hoses during the last service. Rear diff service was 2018 but only about 23k ago in miles.
That's awesome. Have you put the VIN into Toyota owners website? That might turn up a few other repairs maybe.

It sounds like they handled all of the obvious stuff so far. Fill it with gas and have some fun.

That's awesome. Have you put the VIN into Toyota owners website? That might turn up a few other repairs maybe.

It sounds like they handled all of the obvious stuff so far. Fill it with gas and have some fun.
I’m all setup with the Toyota site. That’s where I’ve been pulling most of the records from. Outside of the really low mileage the last few years, everything looked largely up to date. Didn’t see a battery done recently so I’m going to double check that.

Thanks for the help!

I am in the same boat as a "NOOB" and I was told I should post my problem in the Tech Forums. I really don't know what I am doing so if someone could give me a quick pointer it would be helpful? I will go ahead and post my issue with my wife's 2004 LC100 so you know what my issue is in case that helps.

Problem:
We/I am currently experiencing an intermittent problem with the engine shutting off after crank/start as the rev settles down to an idle. No sputter, no hiccups, Shut's down like I turned it off with the key with no thrown codes. I have spent much time reading posts and replies in this forum and have performed many tests provided but am still at a loss. The shut down happens roughly once every week then the LC won't start for anywhere between 30 mins to 24 hours. I have ruled out the Immobilizer issue, Fusible Links, replaced the Fuel Resistor, replaced fuel pump relays (EFI/ECD, C/OPN & F/PUMP), new spark plugs and if it makes it past 2 to 3 seconds of idle the Fuel Pump and LC runs great and has never shut off while driving. I should note that the first time this happened it would idle OK then shut down when put into drive. I didn't witness this but it also allegedly had some sparks fly near or in the fuse box while it was not running. Our tow guy said he saw it and he took out one of the relays that I ended up replacing later. Last thing... I was checking all of the fuses and relays in the engine compartment main box and there are two gold-ish screws holding down, what looks like a buss, at the bottom left of the box near the fuse puller. I have attached a picture. Are both of these locations supposed to have 12v when running? Or are they supposed to have 12v at all? I circled both in the pic and labeled the one that is hot with 12v.

FuseBox1.jpg

I am in the same boat as a "NOOB" and I was told I should post my problem in the Tech Forums. I really don't know what I am doing so if someone could give me a quick pointer it would be helpful? I will go ahead and post my issue with my wife's 2004 LC100 so you know what my issue is in case that helps.

Problem:
We/I am currently experiencing an intermittent problem with the engine shutting off after crank/start as the rev settles down to an idle. No sputter, no hiccups, Shut's down like I turned it off with the key with no thrown codes. I have spent much time reading posts and replies in this forum and have performed many tests provided but am still at a loss. The shut down happens roughly once every week then the LC won't start for anywhere between 30 mins to 24 hours. I have ruled out the Immobilizer issue, Fusible Links, replaced the Fuel Resistor, replaced fuel pump relays (EFI/ECD, C/OPN & F/PUMP), new spark plugs and if it makes it past 2 to 3 seconds of idle the Fuel Pump and LC runs great and has never shut off while driving. I should note that the first time this happened it would idle OK then shut down when put into drive. I didn't witness this but it also allegedly had some sparks fly near or in the fuse box while it was not running. Our tow guy said he saw it and he took out one of the relays that I ended up replacing later. Last thing... I was checking all of the fuses and relays in the engine compartment main box and there are two gold-ish screws holding down, what looks like a buss, at the bottom left of the box near the fuse puller. I have attached a picture. Are both of these locations supposed to have 12v when running? Or are they supposed to have 12v at all? I circled both in the pic and labeled the one that is hot with 12v.

View attachment 3437687
I’m not sure you are going to find a ton of help posting on someone else’s thread that’s not on the same topic. Probably should start a new post.

@OrlandoJon - Sounds like a great truck. We need photos!

need to check if heater Ts were done

Dealers don't often do things like this because it's not on their 'list', unless they are terribly perceptive.

Since they are cheap, I would order a pair of tees, then press your thumb against the ones you have, and if they snap off, just replace them. Don't 'test' the ones you have now, unless you don't need the vehicle until you can do the job. I was one of those who thought people on Mud needlessly obsessed about these tees until I touched mine and they snapped off - they literally fell apart like paper mache. Glad it didn't happen while driving.

@OrlandoJon - Sounds like a great truck. We need photos!

need to check if heater Ts were done

Dealers don't often do things like this because it's not on their 'list', unless they are terribly perceptive.

Since they are cheap, I would order a pair of tees, then press your thumb against the ones you have, and if they snap off, just replace them. Don't 'test' the ones you have now, unless you don't need the vehicle until you can do the job. I was one of those who thought people on Mud needlessly obsessed about these tees until I touched mine and they snapped off - they literally fell apart like paper mache. Glad it didn't happen while driving.
Good thought. All the hoses just got done by the dealer but I’ll check the Ts. Gotta grab some more pics today!

IMG_1496.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom