Cruiser Brothers WAT valve body for A343F? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HDJdreams

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone got the HD Nomad (Wholesale Automatic Transmissions) valve body kit VB5-343 (A343F paired to 1FZ) from Cruiser Brothers?

https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/HD-Nomad-Valve-Body-Fact-Sheet.pdf

I found one thread from a couple of years ago with 5 posts, describing WAT ‘s valve body as too firm, but that thread was discussing A440, A442, and A343. That thread mentioned a Transgo kit was available for A343F.

I was looking for feedback specific to A343F and the version currently offered by Cruiser Brothers @wardharris. And what the advantage are (if any) of the HD Nomad valve body over Transgo kit.

Going on a soon to be turboed 97, running 4.56 and 34s, that will be pulling a 4000 lb travel trailer out West.

First trip with trailer (naturally aspirated 97 with 4.56 and worn 33s) to Moab saw 8 mpg on way to Moab. Coming back, I had substantial headwinds and got 4.5 mpg from Moab to Price, running much of that in 2nd gear and 4200 rpm struggling to hold 50 mph :-(

I don’t expect the valve body to magically help with mpg, but getting ANY more of the 1FZ’s modest power to the ground and improving reliability would be a plus. (As long as the shifts aren’t jack hammer hard.)

DBF4DD03-270C-4EDB-9392-641188E74C4E.jpeg

By the way @wardharris I would still rather have the 5/6 speed auto for the 1FZ ;)

Has anyone got the HD Nomad (Wholesale Automatic Transmissions) valve body kit VB5-343 (A343F paired to 1FZ) from Cruiser Brothers?

https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/HD-Nomad-Valve-Body-Fact-Sheet.pdf

I found one thread from a couple of years ago with 5 posts, describing WAT ‘s valve body as too firm, but that thread was discussing A440, A442, and A343. That thread mentioned a Transgo kit was available for A343F.

I was looking for feedback specific to A343F and the version currently offered by Cruiser Brothers @wardharris. And what the advantage are (if any) of the HD Nomad valve body over Transgo kit.

Georg Esterer @otangefj45 has the kit in his early 100 - will ask him to weigh in

By the way @wardharris I would still rather have the 5/6 speed auto ;)

Yup, understand, but it is a WAT product, not an immediate priority given other initiatives :(

FAF0B91C-67A8-4AE6-8238-3222BD9B3BE8.jpeg
Rocket Rod built a Nomad HD VB for us a few months ago which I installed in my 1999 UZJ100 shortly thereafter.
The install was very straight forward; took a little under 3 hours since I have a full set of belly pan skid plates on this cruiser. One thing to keep in mind is that the torque converter will drain once the original VB is removed do make sure you have plenty of fluid on hand. Depending on application, you’ll need 8-12 quarts.
The results were exactly what I had hoped for: slightly firmer shifting and increased fuel economy. The shift points are slightly higher and just a bit firmer but not “snappy” like a shift kit you’d run in a hot rod.
Overall, I’m very happy with it.
We’ve also installed a number of these on other applications like FJ62, 80, 200, Tundra and GX470 and 460. And most recently a 4th gen 4-runner with an A750F ( pictured above ).

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Transgo product is amazing. A lot of SC turbo and Cummins swapped rigs are using with the a343f with great results.

There are treads about it and to not drill out the 1-2 as much as they recommend. I did an install for a SC rig recently and drilled it out about 1/2 the diameter change recommended with great results.

Comparing a Transgo ( or similar shift kit ) with a Nomad HD valve body is pretty much the proverbial “apples and oranges”.
Shift kits give you a valve or two, some springs, check balls and a couple of gaskets where applicable. Then you’re instructed to drill out a number of holes in the stick separator plate and you’re done. There’s no calibration, no inspection of the actual VB and valves ......
The WAT Nomad HD valve bodies are COMPLETELY rebuilt units. Every single valve is removed. A number of them are replaced with updated versions. Every bote in the VB is inspected and measured, if need be they’re then bored out and the appropriate oversized valve or sleeve installed.
The WAT Nomad HD VB also comes with a new hardened separator plate designed for each specific application.
The last step in the rebuild process is that these VBs are installed onto a trans Dyno and fully tested before they’re shipped out.

Comparing a Transgo ( or similar shift kit ) with a Nomad HD valve body is pretty much the proverbial “apples and oranges”.
Shift kits give you a valve or two, some springs, check balls and a couple of gaskets where applicable. Then you’re instructed to drill out a number of holes in the stick separator plate and you’re done. There’s no calibration, no inspection of the actual VB and valves ......
The WAT Nomad HD valve bodies are COMPLETELY rebuilt units. Every single valve is removed. A number of them are replaced with updated versions. Every bote in the VB is inspected and measured, if need be they’re then bored out and the appropriate oversized valve or sleeve installed.
The WAT Nomad HD VB also comes with a new hardened separator plate designed for each specific application.
The last step in the rebuild process is that these VBs are installed onto a trans Dyno and fully tested before they’re shipped out.

These are the folks that make it happen - in the Wholesale Automatics VB rebuild lab - Lilydale, VIC, Australia

These units are designed and built by experts and don't leave as a box of parts.

upload_2018-12-1_10-15-29.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom