Cruise Moab 2016 official new thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let's start a properly titled, clean new thread for launching Cruise Moab 2016. Date is official and is a week later than previously thought. Event dates are Tuesday May 3rd-Sunday May 8. At the January meeting we will try and schedule a separate weekday night at Kilroy's later to launch a planning session and start to get some firm traction and commitments to organize the trip. Please make yourself known on this thread if you have interest, the level of interest and likelyhood of attending and also if you plan to attend as a passenger, shipping vehicle driver or driving your vehicle out there. Right now we have plenty of speculative interest, but as far as I know, the solid commitments are Bart, Steve, myself and Keystone Greg, also known as Crusha and "Will Farell" My vehicle position is a question mark, but I'm a definite participant as a driver. I thought I was committed to shipping my forty, but I am leaning a little bit towards taking my Taco. Lack of trees on the trail, reliability and my new Forge specialty build and roof top tent are all swaying factors. I also want to throw it out there, that if someone has time but less budget, and is willing to drive my taco out there and back, I will provide the vehicle and gas, as well as a passenger seat for the event. That would still allow me to fly, have a vehicle there, not pay shipping and offer an opportunity for one or two people to attend who may not be able to get there otherwise. Let me know if this arrangement would be attractive to you. It also would allow the guys flying and shipping vehicles to get some extra gear packed and have it hauled out there in the taco, as the bed and roof rack can pack a decent amount of gear that could be transported. Use this thread for new communication and let's kill the original old one.

Nice new thread, good idea. I'm all in on this trip but have not decided on how to get me and my truck there. Leaning towards driving it but have been told by several people how long and dreadful the drive is. I am pretty sure my cousin will be coming up from florida to do this trip with us. He will however have to fly home from there, leaving me solo for the ride home. So i will have room for at least one person who would like to be a passenger and willing to help share driving and fuel expenses. I would also be open to shipping and flying if it is at all affordable. we need to get some real numbers together for comparison so i can try to make a decision. Planning meetings are a great idea but week nights a hard for me, can do a Thursday or Friday.

I am definitely attending and it is going to be a family trip for me. I will be driving with Rhea and the kids, so there will be no extra room. I think only a masochist would want to join if I could make some. However, if you a are good with hand puppets, make believe, and have a special affinity for pink, I'll see what I can do about a jump seat.

I am Seriously considering Jeff's offer!!!

I am still all in to help with arranging shipping options with my friend who is in the business even if my wheels are taxied out for me for the event. It may not be the best deal out there, but it could also well be. My buddy ships cars for dealerships on a full time basis. He has a network of privately managed truckers with all size rigs from wedge open trailers to double deck full car carriers. If we get concrete numbers of vehicles and sizes (heights, 40 vs wagon) he can cater a driver and rig for our needs. Round trip service. We can possibly have a guy interested in a working vacation who would spend cruise Moab with us, pack trucks at the end and return home. For those of us who fly out, we can also eliminate car rental and some logistics by having my taco and driver meet us at the inbound airport. Let's push at the next meeting to get a real list of interested participants, and a private meeting session scheduled. Weekends are fine too. Just need to get the roster dialed in and get a firm dialogue moving forward. This trip can be open for many people in many different ways. Fly in fly out passengers, shipping drivers, and road tripping drivers. Like Steve, I have an outside friend interested in going too. I would imagine there will not be any single drivers from CLCC on the trail.

I'm a definite.:steer:

I am still all in to help with arranging shipping options with my friend who is in the business even if my wheels are taxied out for me for the event. It may not be the best deal out there, but it could also well be. My buddy ships cars for dealerships on a full time basis. He has a network of privately managed truckers with all size rigs from wedge open trailers to double deck full car carriers. If we get concrete numbers of vehicles and sizes (heights, 40 vs wagon) he can cater a driver and rig for our needs. Round trip service. We can possibly have a guy interested in a working vacation who would spend cruise Moab with us, pack trucks at the end and return home. For those of us who fly out, we can also eliminate car rental and some logistics by having my taco and driver meet us at the inbound airport. Let's push at the next meeting to get a real list of interested participants, and a private meeting session scheduled. Weekends are fine too. Just need to get the roster dialed in and get a firm dialogue moving forward. This trip can be open for many people in many different ways. Fly in fly out passengers, shipping drivers, and road tripping drivers. Like Steve, I have an outside friend interested in going too. I would imagine there will not be any single drivers from CLCC on the trail.
I am interested in trying to bet my cruiser transported out to the Denver/Moab are as part of your transportation plan. Please let me know who I can participate!

My 40 just wont be at the point where its reliable and ready for moab trails by then. BUT, If i can figure a way to team drive someone's rig or transport truck with a friend and get our dirt bikes out there I would love to share in the carnage...

I'm still looking for an interested driver to bring my Taco out and back. Chris voiced interest as well, and a shared driving situation would likely be ideal. Only thing I would want is that by say March 1st, whoever is up for the deal is committed and rock solid. Naturally I'd be screwed to have someone bag out at the last minute.

I pm'd you. Let me know. I'm certainly interested if I can fit a friend and two dirtbikes. Even if that means a small trailer.

Can you post up those shipping quotes again. Big heavy wagon style. Trying to compare to renting an RV. Rental on RV is not bad but mileage charge is a little steep

I don't have any solid numbers yet from my friend. If we can put together a prospective group, I can work on it. Right now we can see about three cruisers. Steve and Will Ferrel's wagons and one forty with Jim Ross. My contact is not a good route for just one rig. We need to fill a full load, and then match need to type of rig, round trip.

Bet you could talk Matt into it. One more wagonish truck.

Depending on price is be intrested in shipping my cruiser and driving Jeff's taco out. I'm on a serious budget for this year. Maybe me and Steve can ship the cruisers and carpool down.

Very interested. If I can make suitable arrangements to get my 40 out to Utah I'd love to be part of this. I could certainly get the 40 to a drop off point in Northern Virginia if need be. I'd prefer to fly out. After wheeling Moab I'd be willing to take some others on a trip to the san Juans in SW Colorado to do a little wheeling around the Ouray/Silverton/Telluride area. Gary S

Last edited:
I just want to attend the event whether with or without my 40. Preference for me would be to ship the 40 out and back and fly both ways. I'd probably want to fly into Denver and get a rental vehicle for the week. Drive from Denver airport to Moab is about six hours, more if the weather is bad, less if you have a lead foot. This scenario would give me the ability to drive around CO a bit on my way back to Denver for the flight home. Does anyone have any estimated shipping costs? Those costs will be a major factor in my plans.

Steve- driving to Denver is a long ride, it's about 1600 miles from my place to Denver. I've done it several times on both I-80 and I-70. Doing the drive in a vehicle without cruise control would be out of the question for me.

Has anyone registered yet for the event? I assume we'd be camping with the majority of the attendees, is that correct? I don't know a whole lot about the event and all I know about the trails is what I've seen in Toyota Trails. Looking forward to how this planning proceeds, wheeling at Moab is on a lot of people's bucket list!

I'm interested in riding shotgun and helping with expenses. I just spoke with my brother who did LTL shipping until just recently. He suggests also getting quotes for Grand Junction and Salt Lake City because truckers are reluctant to haul into Denver due to a lack of outbound freight. If Jeff's friend doesn't pan out, my brother can put us in contact with the broker he used.

Let's have a post meeting sit down at Kilroys this Wednesday. I'm leaving for 2 weeks in Africa next week, so doubling up while we are all together makes better sense to get the planning moving forward. At the end of the regular meeting, let's congregate for a few minutes at one end of the table. Anyone interested in joining in for Moab is encouraged to participate, regardless of being a driver/passenger or road tripper/flyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom