cruise control trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While driving to work this morning I set the cruise and was putting along fine. I then hit a bump on the freeway (large bump), and the cruise just shut off and wouldn't come back on. Any ideas?
92 FJ80

Mine got gear oil in the module on the side of the transmission from a small leak. I followed the steps in the fsm and it showed the module was bad. I found a used one in the classifieds and works fine now.

Sent from my Droid thingy using IH8MUD

Last edited:
My Cuise Control stopped working since my brake light came on and stayed on..

Mine got gear oil in the module on the side of the transmission from a small leak. I followed the steps in the fsm and it showed the module was bad.

You're talking about the speed sensor.

Oil fouled sensor is indeed the most common culprit on a 91-92. The test in the thread I linked will pinpoint it.

Low or no cost repair for speed sensor

Hi I am new to the LC fj80, I had a bad speed sensor on my cruise control. The sensor is a "potted" type encased in a plastic compound. One of the wires leading to the encased board was broken causing an Intermittent. So I gutted the sensor out and installed a hall effect switch from a old computer fan in the cavity. This is a single component fix there are no other parts are needed! I used a circuit board as an aid in attaching the wires to set sensor. This arangement delevers 2 pulses/Rev increasing the speed threshold to around 42MPH. These type sensors respond only to a south magnetic pole. I did upgrade the sensor to a omnipolar sensor to get 4 pulses/Rev decreasing the speed threshold to around 21MPH. Cost about 5 bucks. Hope this is of some help...
IMG_3.jpg

Been having some cruise control issues lately. Mine will be set on the freeway and then all of a sudden it just cuts off, the green light on the dash starts to blink and then it's off for good until i cut the truck off and back on.

Is this speed control sensor located on the T-case or the transmission? I need to take a look at mine i guess.

Mine will be set on the freeway and then all of a sudden it just cuts off, the green light on the dash starts to blink and then it's off for good until i cut the truck off.

Got an FSM?

I'm 99% sure when that happens, there's a temporay code that gets stored. Only catch is that you need to pull it *before* shutting down the rig.

this is awesome probably the fix I need Who is electronic savy who can help me wire this up and help find the right part number for the hall sensor?

Low or no cost repair for speed sensor

Hi I am new to the LC fj80, I had a bad speed sensor on my cruise control. The sensor is a "potted" type encased in a plastic compound. One of the wires leading to the encased board was broken causing an Intermittent. So I gutted the sensor out and installed a hall effect switch from a old computer fan in the cavity. This is a single component fix there are no other parts are needed! I used a circuit board as an aid in attaching the wires to set sensor. This arangement delevers 2 pulses/Rev increasing the speed threshold to around 42MPH. These type sensors respond only to a south magnetic pole. I did upgrade the sensor to a omnipolar sensor to get 4 pulses/Rev decreasing the speed threshold to around 21MPH. Cost about 5 bucks. Hope this is of some help...
View attachment 634292

I agree that seems like the fix i'm looking for as well. I'm just not smart enough to know what a hall effect switch is and what circuit board to use....

Im just sharing my findings here trying to learn.

here is the data sheet for the same pickup i found on digikey. it is the one for automotive use.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/drv5033-q1.pdf

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-21%20at%207.30.54%20PM_zpshzcm84zq.png

I am assuming that when cruise is "on" you should have power +12v and one ground and one wire that goes to the cruise control computer.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-20%20at%2010.02.23%20PM_zpsdj1huam6.png

here is from the data sheet looks like a resistor may be needed but Im not sure ??? could someone please share some input.
Screen%20Shot%202015-07-21%20at%207.24.15%20PM_zpsrrugaare.png

I am also guessing that a soldering this to a board may be not needed. you just need to get the sensor facing the right direction to pickup the magnetic field. and repot the case to waterproof like factory.
Screen%20Shot%202015-07-21%20at%207.33.58%20PM_zpsma8o1wyw.png

I got 20 free samples of this sensor/switch on the way (We have a huge circuit board fab shop at my work). If you have a .gov or .edu e-mail address you might be able to get one or two through texas instruments. I have a used sensor from cruiseryard on the way and if it doesn't work I'll use the samples to make one of these.

I ordered some of these Hall Effect sensors. I pulled the VSS off the truck, like others have said you can plug the Speedo cable directly to the TC in its absence.

Opening the small door under the 2 screws shows the plastic encased sensor. I wanted to use this to put my new sensor in and seal with silicon.

I cut the wires and threw the plastic into a shallow sauce pan with boiling water. After it heats up, its possible to break up the plastic and remove the innards. Here is some pictures of what is inside.

20150722_201148.jpg

20150722_201129.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom