Crank nut, starter bump, flywheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
finally figured out how to hot wire the starter so it spins and the pinion pushes out! Going to try and loosen the crank nut on my 85 60 so I can put in a new front main seal. It's been a battle and I hope this does the trick! Quick question for the mud-gods: anyone ever do the starter bump and broken teeth on the flywheel? That is my biggest fear!

I do it differently. I put it in 5th gear(4th will do) to lock the engine and chock the wheels as well. Lift the vehicle off the ground. Then I put a extension bar onto the wrench and rest it on the ground. Then I lower the cruiser down and use the weight to undo the nut. I have done it 3 times and it worked perfectly each time.

strap the handle to the frame to keep it from falling on the floor after breaking the nut free, and only give it a bump...screw the busted flywheel...

You won't break flywheel teeth - just bump the starter and enjoy the result. Be sure your breaker bar handle and socket are secure and won't fly through the radiator or cause other havoc.

& if it doesn't break free in the third starter bump attempt, bail the starter method and move on to rosco's technique.

Starter bump didn't work. 4 attempts. Am I doing something wrong?
1. Hook up starter to battery. It is working and engaging flywheel.
2. Socket to nut breaker bar strapped to frame.
3. Bump starter - 4 tries. Everything holds and engine jumps under stress. Nut does not move.
I'll post pic after I figure out how to do it from my phone.

The engine moving parts need to generate a little inertia before being abruptly stopped by the wrench. If there's a way you can brace the socket & wrench to be pressed into the crank nut, to allow the breaker bar handle to swing before hitting the frame, that may do it. That's what worked for me.

image.jpeg

has your battery been charged recently?

as well, not sure if it really matters, but I put my handle on top of drivers side...

aaaand, with a long enough bar and something rigged to keep the flywheel from spinning(ie a bar bolted to the flange of the tcase leaning to the ground...) and I have unscrewed one by hand. Impact did squat to it, and the block was on the ground. I weigh a buck 30...Roscoes method works providing the tires don't spin. to eliminate that possibility, remove the tires from the equation. I used a piece of 1/4 x 2 flat bolted to the tcase flange, about 3' long, and a bar on the 3/4 drive breaker bar also about 3' long. the hard part with this is taking up all the gear slop and still having room to swing on the bar while the engine is still in its house. some people have had luck using a 3/4" impact and high pressure. get after it.

Still going at it. Tried the static starter bump and the swinging starter bump with no luck. Tried the truck weight approach, and too much gear slop. Used 5' pipe w breaker bar on truck weight--may be too long. Going to try shorter pipe to get more angle when truck is jacked up. Also charging battery tonight to see if a more full charge will help. Thinking about renting a 1" electric impact wrench (I have socket) and giving that a go. Haven't tried the flat bar to tcase flange.

...Roscoes method works providing the tires don't spin. to eliminate that possibility, remove the tires from the equation. .

I had the cruiser on a slope in my driveway and in top gear with chocks behind the wheels and it worked 1st time.. I used a solid 3/4" bar with an extension
But it looks like FJ60BigLou has a real bear to deal with.
Can you apply heat to them?

Maybe try putting it in 4WD and have someone stand on the brakes (lock hubs to add front disc brakes) when you lower the truck:hmm:

Last edited:
I had the cruiser on a slope in my driveway and in top gear with chocks behind the wheels and it worked 1st time.. I used a solid 3/4" bar with an extension
But it looks like FJ60BigLou has a real bear to deal with.
Can you apply heat to them?
I tried map gas before. Anyone know if this would help if I did it again?

I pulled my radiator and used one of those mini impact wrenches. Its not very hard to removed the radiator or replace the fluid, but I see the appeal to avoiding this. I had to remove my timing gear cover, so it was nice having the space with the radiator out to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom