Correct Transmission Cover for Late model 4os with a 40 series H55F and top plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is a difference between a H55F for a 60 and 40. This thread is about the H55F with a 40 series top plate:
When installing a H55F with a 40 series top plate into a 1980 FJ40 which transmission cover do I need? Attached are photos of the original transmission cover and a raised cover that I was told that I needed. The raised cover does not fit. Admittedly the transmission is the photos is the original 4 speed and tc. But as you can see from my annotations the raised cover does not fit

IMG-4611.JPG

IMG-4612.JPG

IMG-4613.JPG

IMG-4616.JPG

Here is a picture I borrowed from Phil's (@nogo) thread. The line of holes along the bottom of Cover is the same location as the four speed. The hole above on the five speed adds a shaft to allow it to operate fifth gear rod and the other gears. This is why the top cover is taller requiring the floor to be raised compared to the four speed.
40 series selector housing 002.JPG

The two locations your arrows point are fairly easy to fix. The open gap across the front not shown will require work to fill. Rodger's (@Racer65) fiberglass cover would be easy solution. I know the factory raised the section in front of the inspection cover. I've decided to go down the path less traveled.
P1050982 (1).JPG

I used the standard 4 speed cover when doing my h55f swap with no clearance issues. I’m using a 40-series top aluminum trans cover.

Was this on a 81/82 using the correct factory crossmember or something else? Other than a body lift or lower the transmission then the stock location can't see how would not be right up against the floor and rub with any flex of the engine. Toyota redesigned the hump 10/82 because of the H55F option. The four speed did not change for the 83 model. But they changed the hump on all models. Even the HJ47/FJ45 that didn't the H55F option the floor changed to keep it standard for all models.

I used the standard 4 speed cover when doing my h55f swap with no clearance issues. I’m using a 40-series top aluminum trans cover.
Thank you. I knew Inhad seen someone post that the original cover would fit. The question is how did you accomplish it?

Was this on a 81/82 using the correct factory crossmember or something else? Other than a body lift or lower the transmission then the stock location can't see how would not be right up against the floor and rub with any flex of the engine. Toyota redesigned the hump 10/82 because of the H55F option. The four speed did not change for the 83 model. But they changed the hump on all models. Even the HJ47/FJ45 that didn't the H55F option the floor changed to keep it standard for all models.

Stock 1981 crossmember and sheet metal. No rubbing. I have a 3B in it with factory motor mounts. Maybe the 3B angle is a little different, maybe I mounted the engine frame mounts a little high (I doubt it), or maybe the sheet metal with the hump just isn’t needed.

Last edited:
Stock 1981 crossmember and sheet metal. No rubbing. I have a 3B in it with factory motor mounts. Maybe the 3B angle is a little different, maybe I mounted the engine frame mounts a little high (I doubt it), or maybe the sheet metal with the hump just isn’t needed.

Any idea what trans mount you have fitted, H, F or B?.....And are your chassis to body mounts / rubbers new?

Toyota trans mounts.JPG

I save this pic from MUD sometime ago, but now can't remember the details of the build thread. Obviously it has a H55F though I can't recall what engine?....I save it because it has good clearance.......Anyone recognize the pic?

brown floor.jpg

Any idea what trans mount you have fitted, H, F or B?.....And are your chassis to body mounts / rubbers new?

View attachment 2117434

I believe I reused the trans mount from the original 2F/H42 setup. I don’t remember if it was new when I did he swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom