Cooling system doesn't hold pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much pressure should I expect the cooling system to hold? I borrowed a cooling system pressure tester and pumped the system up to about 15 psi and can't find any external leaks, but the pressure in the tester leaked down fairly quickly (maybe 1 psi/minute)?

The only things I can think of are:
1) cooling system pressure tester was leaking pressure (could be, but the adapter seems to fit on the radiator well)
2) head gasket, although I don't have obvious water in the oil or oil in the radiator.

other thoughts?

I don't seem to be loosing coolant at an excessive rate, although it's hard to say since I just replaced the radiator and heater valve.

I do have a head gasket tester that connects to the radiator cap, so I'm going to give that a try.

Spray bottle with soapy water will tell you what you need to know.

Find your leak(s): Tester itself, adapter, hoses, O-rings, etc......be thorough. Check all the easy things first (all visible hose connections, all around radiator). Pin holes in hoses are sometimes hard to find.

You could send a used engine oil sample off to Blackstone Laboratories for an Engine Oil Analysis (EOA), that should tell you if there's any coolant in the oil.

Last edited:
Didn't think about the soapy water test, I should have done that. I just know that the motor was cold and nothing dripped on the ground. I'll try this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom