Cooling issues after replacing everything (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Even the ones on here complained leaking out of the box but they did mention it did out perform the koyo

Okie Dokie, get whatever you are comfortable with. But I'm telling you...TYC for performance is likely your best bet unless you want to pony up for Toyota OEM.

Sadly those reviews are, on average, 40% bs. The bs rate is much higher for certain product categories such as electronics. It’s a dirty biz.
Flintknapper just being a sarcastic as s.

Last edited:
Flintnapper just being a sarcastic as s.

I'm trying to help, just not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone or push them over the edge. OP needs to change out the damn radiator for whatever Plastic/Aluminum he feels is right. If someone isn't going to accept advice here...don't ask for it.

And don't get all 'hinkey' about it either newbie.

Last edited:
Sadly those reviews are, on average, 40% bs. The bs rate is much higher for certain product categories such as electronics. It’s a dirty biz.

Yes, but, Amazon rating is the important buying consideration for some. :meh:

Reactions: MoJ
Just installed a TYC about a week ago. Ambient around 80-85 lately in PNW. Only 7k CST in original black hub fan clutch. But rebuilt for 95f opening. Coolant temps measured with koso gauge, hovering around 185-190 once fully warm.

Just installed a TYC about a week ago. Ambient around 80-85 lately in PNW. Only 7k CST in original black hub fan clutch. But rebuilt for 95f opening. Coolant temps measured with koso gauge, hovering around 185-190 once fully warm.

Just right. Good job.

Just to wrap up this thread from my end, I ended up with a new Koyo A1918 radiator. Been driving with it for a couple days now and it is perfect. Car hasn't gone above 190F once. Hills, AC on, Highway speeds, all no problem.

I guess it really was the CSF radiator.

One data point: my 97 FZJ80 came with an all metal CSF radiator and replacement (not modified) blue hub AISIN fan clutch from the PO. I flushed the cooling system then installed an OEM Tstat and radiator cap soon after purchase. With outside air temps ~85-90'F the coolant temps are at 190'F with AC on, no hills, sea level. So not a lot of load, but have gone on 1100 mile trips 75mph in the Southeast with no cooling issues.

Having said that, based on my own experience (96 model with OEM rad, no cooling problems) and multiple threads concerning cooling issues when traveling at higher elevations and long climbs, I'm replacing the CSF in my 97 model with a new OEM (TRad) aluminum/plastic radiator (plan to take it on a cross-country trip). FWIW.

Just to wrap up this thread from my end, I ended up with a new Koyo A1918 radiator. Been driving with it for a couple days now and it is perfect. Car hasn't gone above 190F once. Hills, AC on, Highway speeds, all no problem.

I guess it really was the CSF radiator.

^^^^^

Yep.

But you were wise to replace the other items as well...since it is after all...a cooling 'system'.

One data point: my 97 FZJ80 came with an all metal CSF radiator and replacement (not modified) blue hub AISIN fan clutch from the PO. I flushed the cooling system then installed an OEM Tstat and radiator cap soon after purchase. With outside air temps ~85-90'F the coolant temps are at 190'F with AC on, no hills, sea level. So not a lot of load, but have gone on 1100 mile trips 75mph in the Southeast with no cooling issues.

Having said that, based on my own experience (96 model with OEM rad, no cooling problems) and multiple threads concerning cooling issues when traveling at higher elevations and long climbs, I'm replacing the CSF in my 97 model with a new OEM (TRad) aluminum/plastic radiator (plan to take it on a cross-country trip). FWIW.

Like you....my CSF2517 has given me no problems. A few others on the forum as well....BUT there have been enough folks who HAVE experienced problems with the 2517 (mostly recent manufacture unit is seems) that I can not recommend them or in any way defend the radiator based on mine working well.

I think it smart of you to replace yours, considering the trip you have planned. The cost and time required to do it NOW....is insignificant compared to the 'potential' trouble you might experience while on your trip. There is never a convenient time to have overheating issues, but you certainly don't want to have it happen (possibly happen) while on a trip far from home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom