Coolant Flush Procedure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got an aftermarket sensor really cheap off Amazon or eBay works fine. As far as the connector that will be tough. Best bet is probably the "Parting Out" classifieds. Some can snip that off a junk vehicle and throw it in an envelope.

For filling coolant back in, invest in one of these. Makes burping a breeze. Jack up front of car, place funnel, fill with rear heater on.

If you don’t want to get above or jack, some have parked on a hill with engine front uphill and wheels chocked.

Watch temp gauge for the 1st 50-100 miles like a hawk. Catch any potential overheat before it gets there.

Alright, guys... so its all assembled, gonna fill and whatnot tomorrow. However, in my messing with the thermostat housing, I broke two of the wires that attach to the lower driver side thermostat housing.

How can I go about repairing these, or do I need to order new parts??

The water temp sensor looks to be in pretty rough shape...

View attachment 2040899

Also, am I good to fill and fire this puppy up with those sensors inoperable??

Thanks.
You can remove the terminals from the connector housings and reconnect the wires to new terminals. Or you can splice sections of wire that have the correct terminals and plug them back into the connector housings. See Post #6 and #7 here:

Check out waytekwire.com perhaps they have a connector.

I’m guessing the connector is a common design vs Toyota specific.

Alright, guys... so its all assembled, gonna fill and whatnot tomorrow. However, in my messing with the thermostat housing, I broke two of the wires that attach to the lower driver side thermostat housing.

View attachment 2040899

Thanks.

Hi Seth ,

if u PM me some more detailed photos and a more detailed description of what connectors broke , now just wires

and , i can see the profile of the 182-65 water temp. sensor , I can check inventory and see ,

i DO have everything to do a OEM factory Repair on , 182-12 if thats the case as well
\
182-65 requires a bit more study

i have a ASIAN Parts house in DC i deal with that will have Both Senders if need be

Chance's are i DO have the plastic connectors too , all of them

its simply all about info. supplied and research now ..

Bring It On ................. :idea:

View attachment 2040899

Thanks.

finally had time to break away from family sunday stuff ,

- ok here we go ..........

- i have a good condition used pigtail , for temp sensor on drivers side

- i just re-up'd a order and will have a 10 pack of brand new ones by Wed.

- i can source both temp sensors if need be

- please let me know how i can help

thanks
matt

DSCN9974.JPG

Hi Seth ,

if u PM me some more detailed photos and a more detailed description of what connectors broke , now just wires

and , i can see the profile of the 182-65 water temp. sensor , I can check inventory and see ,

i DO have everything to do a OEM factory Repair on , 182-12 if thats the case as well
\
182-65 requires a bit more study

i have a ASIAN Parts house in DC i deal with that will have Both Senders if need be

Chance's are i DO have the plastic connectors too , all of them

its simply all about info. supplied and research now ..

Bring It On ................. :idea:

I don’t need the connector. I just posted a link to a connector source and I think wires got crossed on who needs what. @dbla is the OP that probably needs it 😉

I don’t need the connector. I just posted a link to a connector source and I think wires got crossed on who needs what. @dbla is the OP that probably needs it 😉

ok , sorry about that

this thread is all over the place with some needs and issues maybe of more then one vehical ? , your right

but , just trying to help

hopefully the right person finds my connector photo :)

thanks ,

kindly matt

images777777777.png

Nice to see a fast reply on parts though 👍

ok , sorry about that

this thread is all over the place with some needs and issues maybe of more then one vehical ? , your right

but , just trying to help

hopefully the right person finds my connector photo :)

thanks ,

kindly matt

Hey all, I think I may actually be okay. I was able to source a water temp sensor from an auto parts store (aftermarket but still) and the original connector seems to actually be fine, part of the water sensor broke off INTO the connector when I removed that I was able to still use the plug.

If for some reason the connector isn't working, how will I know? Will I get a check engine light or something?

Thanks Matt and everyone else for holding my hand through this.

-a

That sensor tells the computer what the coolant temperature is. Mine failed "open circuit" making the computer think it was -40 degrees out and resulted in fast idle of about 2000 rpm. Basically if it runs like it should you're good.

If your interested you could look up some resistance checks versus temperature but it's probably fine.

That sensor tells the computer what the coolant temperature is. Mine failed "open circuit" making the computer think it was -40 degrees out and resulted in fast idle of about 2000 rpm. Basically if it runs like it should you're good.

If your interested you could look up some resistance checks versus temperature but it's probably fine.

Cool, it ran like it should have when I fired it up for the flush. Water was leaking but I didn't have the thermostat or gaskets in and could see water coming out of that housing. Then I couldn't find the gaskets I ordered... so I'm waiting on new ones. Hopefully once all that's buttoned up it doesn't leak anymore. 🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_0124.JPG

Got it all buttoned up tonight and drove her about 10mi, no leaks... belts are a little squeaky but it seems like everything is working as it should.

I currently only have water in there... am I good to drive on that for a day or two before emptying it and replacing with coolant??

Thanks!

Does anyone have any photos of where the radiator petcock is? I am a self-professed newbie and I'm trying to drain existing coolant.

Thanks

Does anyone have any photos of where the radiator petcock is? I am a self-professed newbie and I'm trying to drain existing coolant.

Thanks
Lower right hand (passenger side) of your radiator.

Careful you don't do it hot or over anywhere that animals can get to what comes out. Something I HATE about this design is there's an angled brace just under the petcock so when you open it the coolant splashes friggen everywhere and makes a big mess, no matter how hard you try to control it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom