Coolant Color Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this may be a total noob question, but i'm confused. So I noticed today when I was changing out the fender aprons (old ones were gone) that my radiator appears to be leaking. I don't see any crusting but I did see a single drop sitting on the frame rail. It looks like there was a tiny amount on the garage floor. I looked in the coolant tank, and it was below the "low" line but I could look down into the tank and it looked orange. The drop on the frame rail also looked orange. So i took a paper towel and rolled it up and stuck it down in the tank to suck a bit of the coolant up. When it was on the paper towel, it definitely wasn't bright orange, it just looked like a very light red, maybe very light orange. I dabbed the orange "glop" on the frame rail, and it was the same exact color tone. So from a distance in the light it looks orange, but on the paper towel it seems like a much lighter color. So since I'm not going to be able to replace the radiator immediately, what kind of coolant should I put in the coolant tank to keep it topped off? I didn't see the leak initially but I did a 500 mile round trip this weekend for camping and I noticed it when I got home and took the wheel off. I have to wonder if I hadn't looked a couple hours after turning it off i'm wondering what it would have looked like and maybe that's why I hadn't noticed it before was it had been sitting a few days.

Last edited:
considering the Lexus dealer likely put the Lexus coolant in, maybe you should do the same ? :idea:

Toyota/Lexus red.

Toyota/Lexus red.

That's what I figured but I wanted to make sure since it wouldn't match the color of the coolant in there now. Hopefully can get it replaced within the next month or so. It's not leaving a puddle in the garage or anything, but I also noticed when I was doing the apron flaps that the suspension components on the driver's side have "splash" marks so i'm guessing that when it's running it might be squirting some out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom