Cool cars and CLC chat (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMW=Broke My Wallet :rofl:

^^Everyone I know who's had them says the same thing. Same with Mercedes.^^

One would hope Toyota wouldn't wager their reliability reputation by simply re-badging a BMW as a Supra, although it sure seems that way. While the joint effort with Subaru was somewhat understandable, this collaboration with BMW seems destined to turn out to be a huge mistake.

Who knows, maybe they ditched Bosch for Denso and they let the Japanese get in the BMW and re-engineer some of those idiotic designs, like having an oil passage in the alternator bracket! o_O

The fact of the matter remains, in our hyper competitive world of "mobility" in general, these types of tie-ups will become more and more common as the price point of true R and D for a new platform increases exponentially.

@Bomar is absolutely correct when he says these tie-ups are way more common than most people know. The Big 3 have been doing it abroad for over 75 years. There is no way to enter into a new market without at least tying up with a local manufacturer/sales network, this is especially true in 3rd world markets or 1st world markets in Oceania.

There are lots of machinations in the background when something like this is done between OEMs. There are deep, in-depth contracts that stipulate who will pay for what when things like powertrain and chassis and body warranties arise. If I was a Toyota Supra owner, if there was one issue at all with the powertrain, I'd be heading to a Toyota dealership and telling them that they need to send my car to a BMW dealership for expertise.

Most Toyota dealership personnel do not even know that Toyota offered an I-6 platform in the US after 1998 (final year of 2JZ-GTE import to the US). They are too young to know that Toyota once had a very robust I-6 platform engineering program. Hell, I doubt there are many folks at TMC in Nippon who are engaged in legacy platforms like the I-6 engine.

That said, I have a feeling that purists will be very taken back by the inferior quality of the Supra (see: PS racks that are already failing). But the body stylings are impressive and the vehicle is very attractive at least on "look"-- and marketing people know that looks are everything.

So you think that the bottom line will over-ride the Toyota history of quality and reliability in this regard? I know that, at least from what I am inferring, that the TMC is very profit-centric, but they have also historically been very centered on the quality and longevity of their products. So I find it interesting that they would sacrifice that good name in durability and reliability for the sake of adding a few dollars to the end of the year numbers. But, let's be honest, my simple mind struggles with understanding why I can't seem to get thru a laundry cycle and keep up with all my socks, so global economics is way above my pay grade...

In the past year has been an eye opening experience dealing with some TMC guys how they view things........

Just be happy that there are still quality used trucks in market place. If I had the cash and space I would own alot more 100s for sure.

In the past year has been an eye opening experience dealing with some TMC guys how they view things........

Just be happy that there are still quality used trucks in market place. If I had the cash and space I would own alot more 100s for sure.

You got space.....

Hmm, maybe I need to look a little harder at the one Rob has for sale then...

Is that the end of the "high quality" era for TMC?

Hmm, maybe I need to look a little harder at the one Rob has for sale then...

Is that the end of the "high quality" era for TMC?

I’d buy any Toyota made in Japan.

My 4Runners have been stellar

That said, the 100 series is the best Land Cruiser ever sold in the US

I second @wngrog 's sentiments. If the VIN starts with a "J" I'm down.

Also, @jynx I think the "quality/durability" factor goes through ebbs/flows with the buying population. Right now all the prognosticators (bean counters) feel that the quality factor is not impacting sales. It may change again, but not by very far in one direction or the other. It's eroding as new automation and AI enter the manufacturing process.

......................................That said, the 100 series is the best Land Cruiser ever sold in the US
Agreed. The 2UZ-FE is one of the best engines ever built, and the 100 platform is about as robust as anything you'll find anywhere

Japan. UZ. GX-470. Prices are creeping up since all of the “best hidden gem in the 4x4 world” articles have published...but still the Best Buy if you can weather Nolen’s ribbing.

If I didn't destroy vehicles by rolling 50k miles a year (and may yet) get a GX. Are the LX570s "J" coded?

I'm not a fan of "re-branded" cars/trucks or whatever. Either make it yourself or don't sell it (car/truck) market in general. Its really sad that TMC could not bring the bad@$$ I-6 engine back into the Supra (the toyota mfg version). I'm not a one brand person, at present having two Toyota's and one GM truck. But its like getting a corvette with another brand engine...just something not done (Chevrolet), yeah GM has turned some of its engines into corporate engines now, like many of the US mfg's and others as well. I always thought of the last few years of the former Supra as a bad@$$ car with a history of the japanese designed I-6 turbocharged engine.

I would buy a GM 1 ton with a Cummins engine mated to a Allison though...:) whenever they start making those combinations I'm in.

I’m hoping the new GM 3.0 Duramax is as good as its specs. It could be a great swap choice for 60 and 80 series Cruisers. Maybe even 40s, but it would be hard to fit a 10-speed transmission in a 40.

I will agree the GX is an amazing vehicle.

100%

For a girl.
Let me know where you're seeing the N-platform 4Runners listed among the other J-platform Land Cruisers. I would expect to see it in the 120 section, but I can't find it there............ :hillbilly:

1569348599510.png

I would not insult my Land Cruisers that way.

It’s a great vehicle but it’s not a Land Cruiser.

You know I do the girl thing just for you.
HAHA! Yep.

I'm not the one saying it's a Land Cruiser. Toyota is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom