Convince Me!(120 or 100) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! Been lurking for awhile and finally made an account a few weeks ago!

I've been a car guy my whole life and have owned a number of vehicles. Most of these have been cars, but I've had a few off-road capable "rigs". My 1st ever Vehicle, was a 1996 Isuzu Trooper that I did a mild 2" spacer lift on, and cranked the torsion bars up. Perfect vehicle for a highschooler! My most recent off-road vehicle was a 1999 4runner, with a factory e-locker, mild lift, 4xInnovations front bumper, etc. I sold it to fund some house projects, but man I loved it!! I also had a Jeep Wrangler JKU, that I hated. No more Jeeps for me; I sold that for my current Vehicle, a 2011 Audi S4.

Fast forward a couple of years I now have a 2.5 year old son(I sold the 4Runner when he was about 6 months old) and baby #2 showing up any day now. The wife and I have talked a lot about getting back into camping/outdoor adventures as a family. We want to make memories with the boys as they get older. Along with camping, I'd love to just do some mild wheeling, as it fuels my car passion, and I can bring the family along with me.

Now the search begins for the right vehicle. I immediately thought of another 3rd gen 4runner, but decided I wanted something a little bigger. Then I remembered the GX470 my dad had, and I did some research, It's currently my leading Choice. In doing my research, I also cannot ignore the 100 Series for a family Adventure rig.

With the 3rd row seats removed from the 120 and the 100; how much different is the Cargo space? Keep in mind, we will be traveling with 4 of us(Me, Wife, 2 kids) and potentially two dogs. At this point, it might be time to look into an off-road trailer anyway? What about if the dogs aren't tagging along; are the cargo dimensions super similar?

I love the Looks of the GX470; but the 100 Series is also a classic. Regardless; My choice is narrowed down to a GX470 or a LX470/LC 100.

Anyway, just looking for some overall opinions/advice! Looking forward to the responses!

Last edited:
The LX/LC will have more cargo space in the rear, although the GX does have a good amount. Also a LC can be found with a factory rear locker, a GX cannot. Don't quote me but if its the same as a 200 series to 5th gen 4runner, the LX and LC will have bigger cv axles than the GX. The Lexus variants will also obviously have air suspension which is better on road and the LC will have coil springs which are better off road. But Either way they are fantastic offroaders with a bulletproof reputation.

The LX/LC will have more cargo space in the rear, although the GX does have a good amount. Also a LC can be found with a factory rear locker, a GX cannot. Don't quote me but if its the same as a 200 series to 5th gen 4runner, the LX and LC will have bigger cv axles than the GX. But Either way they are fantastic offroaders with a bulletproof reputation.

Ah right, I didn't even think of the factory rear locker on the LX/LC... was that only available on the 98-99? Initially I was thinking a 2003+ on the LX/LC; For the side airbags and the 5-speed Transmission.(Did I get the correct year for those changes?) And speaking of the 4spd vs 5spd; is it a huge difference?

I have never experienced the 4spd only a 5spd, but I can say the 5spd is 👍👍. And LX never came with a rear diff lock only the LC

Honestly it'll come down to what you think looks the best and which one you can find the best deal on. GX will typically be the less expensive of the three per age and mileage

Yeah; I think the GX is leading the race for me right now; it seems like the best value for what you get.(Maybe I'll hold out for a Sport/KDSS model; I love that black wood trim) I do love the GX with some aftermarket bumpers though, they look SO good.

But I agree the LX/LC are just classic and look amazing. And arguably probably one of the best all around "overland" type vehicles ever made.(The GX doesn't seem far behind in that category)

Ide recommend spending some quality time seeing what others have decided with your same exact questions. Some links below.

If you didnt have the dogs than the GX would win.. but with 2 dogs and 2 kids it will be a tight fit.

Yeah; I think the GX is leading the race for me right now; it seems like the best value for what you get.(Maybe I'll hold out for a Sport/KDSS model; I love that black wood trim) I do love the GX with some aftermarket bumpers though, they look SO good.

But I agree the LX/LC are just classic and look amazing. And arguably probably one of the best all around "overland" type vehicles ever made.(The GX doesn't seem far behind in that category)

One last thing. PLEASE whatever you do, do not get the nav. Almost nothing you can do except replace with oem parts if they go out. The climate controls and other things are tied into the head unit which makes replacing it almost impossible. Its easier to get a non-nav and put a nice HU in it to make it look more modern. Just my humble opinion.

re: gx470 vs. lx470 (or LC).... eeeeeek, you can't go wrong! if money weren't a factor, i'd probably go with the 100-series. don't get me wrong, i've LOVED my gx from day 1 and still do. and with a few mods (lift, tires, non-nav conversion, other suspension bits), it's even better. but the 100-series has more space and will be a classic before you know it (i know i know, so will the GX...), and personally i actually like how the 100-series looks better than the 120. but from what i've seen, 100's can be way more expensive. anyhow, my brother has a 4th gen T4R and the GX has more headroom, but that's about it. if you really need more space than a T4R, 100-series is the way to go.

re: the below statement... i agree that non-nav is much more desirable. BUT converting from nav to non-nav is doable. with help from others, i was able to do it, and a lot of other guys/gals out there have also successfully made the change. so i wouldn't look at nav as a deal breaker... but if you're comparing similar GX's, yah, i'd take the one without nav.

One last thing. PLEASE whatever you do, do not get the nav. Almost nothing you can do except replace with oem parts if they go out. The climate controls and other things are tied into the head unit which makes replacing it almost impossible. Its easier to get a non-nav and put a nice HU in it to make it look more modern. Just my humble opinion.

I know you can find GX's with non-nav; Can you find the LX/LC non-nav?

I was in the same position as you in the spring. I ended up with a GX simply because they are much more common and it was easy to find one in good shape. The LX/LC seems to command a premium price tag for clean, lower mileage examples which are rare and usually not on the market for too long. I would have been happy with either the GX or LX, and I'm quite enjoying the GX I ended up with. Can't go wrong!

My decisions....
GX470 has coils vs torsion bars
GX470 can get rid of the 80s cassette deck
GX470 with low miles at a decent price was way easier to find

I actually own 100-series ('04 LX) and found this thread because I randomly check in here because I still like the GX so much! All good advice offered here, but in my case the decision came down to... that tailgate. I use it ***all the time*** and couldn't live without it. Otherwise I can't imagine you;d be unhappy with either. Make sure to drive a few examples of each and your choice will probably reveal itself to you.

It is harder to find a good 100-series due to relative rarity, took me 4-months of searching every single day.

Yeah, I definitely need to get out and test drive a few of each. We’re in the process of getting my house ready to sell, then buying a larger home. After we’re moved and settled in, the search for the right truck will begin!

The rear swing out door, actually doesn’t bother me at all. I like fold out table options available for them! The tailgate on the LX/LC is cool though.

I’m still leaning towards a GX, but as people have mentioned, I probably can’t go wrong with either!(and the money saved from buying a GX can be used for upgrades and trips!)

Newer 4Runner would be a good choice too, with better MPG.

GX470 is still leading the race for me. Hopefully I'll be in the market in 1-2 months and I can really get serious with finding the right truck. I already missed a local 2006 Sport for a great price :/ But have to get our home sold, and moved into a bigger one 1st. Thanks everyone for all the insight!

Don't feel too discouraged about ending up with a nav model. There are a few options that make it more bearable. On the cheap a Grom BT3 will give you bluetooth capability. A Grom VL2 will basically use the factory touch screen to run an android os. There's also the Phoenix Android tablet option. As far as the ML speakers go, they aren't horrible and there are a couple aftermarket options if they blow. 4 people and 2 dogs will be tight in either the GX or 100, especially with gear however; if you swap out the bags with a spring conversion and grab one of Kyle's Dobinson's lifts with some decent upper control arms and some ATs you'll have a great truck. The GX is like the V8 4runner but with more head room and ass warmers but wayy cheaper because of the 4Runner cool guy tax. Even on the west coast i use the heaters on the trail, it's a luxury i never had with my 80 series or my old 1st gen 4runners. Going back to the nav/non-nav thing; if you find a good mechanically sound, service records up the yin yang but it's nav? I'd say go for that one over a non nav that might be less than stellar in other areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom